Competitors to the MacBook Air

NinjaKoala

Hello my fellow geeks!

I have gotten into a dead end. I was browsing the interwebs for a laptop and came to a conclusion that I know egg-roll nothing about them...

So the question is pretty easy if you know what you are talking about. What laptops compare well to the MacBook Air 13inch?

I would wish for it to be:

- A relatively low weight

- Be around 13inches

- Have an SSD or a hybrid drive

- A decent CPU and RAM amount

- Non touch screen

So yeah, I'm basically looking for an ultrabook...And to save you the hassle of typing "use the search function goddamit!!" - yeah, I know it exists, and yes I did not use it cuz I'm lazy and it's 3am here..

<3 to everybody that takes their time to share with their opinion!

Ps. While we are at it - please share with why you would/wouldn't buy a MacBook Air.

Ultrabooks basically. Nothing really comes into comparision when talking about extremely light weight notebooks/laptops, onboard graphics <_< and supports half day battery life.

Lenovo have very nice products I guess the Yoga 13"inch model is pretty awesome.

The Acer Aspire 7 was about £700 GBP in John Lewis about a month ago I think its normal MSRP/retail price is of 800+ to maybe £1100 depending on the model ram and accessories.

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 may also be a viable option. (Just watched the official event recorded last year it was amazing)

Asus have the taichi which is a dual monitor display ultrabook which I'd want as a 15" 4K but that's probably never going to happen :(

MSI haven't got into that market I believe...not so sure.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Dell XPS 12 (which has touch screen) or 13

Hello my fellow geeks!

I have gotten into a dead end. I was browsing the interwebs for a laptop and came to a conclusion that I know egg-roll nothing about them...

So the question is pretty easy if you know what you are talking about. What laptops compare well to the MacBook Air 13inch?

I would wish for it to be:

- A relatively low weight

- Be around 13inches

- Have an SSD or a hybrid drive

- A decent CPU and RAM amount

- Non touch screen

So yeah, I'm basically looking for an ultrabook...And to save you the hassle of typing "use the search function goddamit!!" - yeah, I know it exists, and yes I did not use it cuz I'm lazy and it's 3am here..

<3 to everybody that takes their time to share with their opinion!

Ps. While we are at it - please share with why you would/wouldn't buy a MacBook Air.

I would look into lenovo 

Thanks for the suggestions! Will look into some of them. Although I don't really prefer a touchscreen laptop...

Anyways, about the MacAir. Would you recommend it? Or you would go for the non apple product if you had the money?

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga is a pretty solid machine. 

Lenovo announced the Z40/50 and Y40/50, both of which are very thin and light, and probably about the same price as the Macbook Air once configured (starts at $999).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Sony Vaio Pro is pretty much a macbook air except with 1080p screen.  Has touch, but you don't need to use it.  Asus Zenbook, Samsung ATIV book (though expensive).  From experience though, I find it is hard to beat the keyboard and trackpad of the Macbook lineup. 

DISCLAIMER: Not an Apple fan, I just appreciate nice trackpads and keyboards.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

ZenBook.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

The Yoga 2 Pro is something i would recommend that is aggressive. I bought mine on sale for $1050 and it has an i7-4700U, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 256GB SSD, and a 3200x1800 display. Thats a pretty good steal IMO. I doesn;t have wireless AC which kinda blows and its not dual band, so if that matter to you then dont get it. I personally use a dual band bridge/Access Point that connects me to a dual band router so my laptop is somewhat "dual band". It is touch screen, but if its glare you dont like an anti glare film is like $8. Also the MacBook Air's dont fair that well in sunlight as well.It also has an awesome keyboard that is tactile and it also sports a glass track pad similar to the Mac Book Air.

At the same time i wouldn't recommend this laptop because of all the proprietary shit lenovo ships with this laptop. They have an "energy manager: that gives me a shit ton of heart aches which really really sucks. Also there arent a lot of things that suport that DPI. Chrome didnt work and i had to do a workaround to get it working. Then i updated chrome and that stopped working and i had to use a workaround for the workaround haha. So in this aspect i wouldnt recommend it. 

There may be a Mac Book Air even in June again when they reveal a "retina" MacBook, so keep that in mind. I would be surprised if they didnt do that because everyone pretty much started doing "retina" display on their ultrabooks.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks for the suggestions! Will look into some of them. Although I don't really prefer a touchscreen laptop...

Anyways, about the MacAir. Would you recommend it? Or you would go for the non apple product if you had the money?

If you're willing to get used to OS X and don't mind the relatively weak hardware, it's a superb device. Ultra thin, ultra sexy. :)

If I had the money, I'd choose a Macbook Air over any competing device without hesitation.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

MacBook Air specs were great. Not so much anymore but still a great device. If you have money a MacBook Air is a good choice. If not, I personally like asus zenboooks

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Or Samsung Ativan 9,( stupid phone posted before I finished typing)

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Why not touchscreen?

I like the Lenovo Yoga laptops at the moment so check those out. Otherwise Macbook Air is fine/good.

You could also go BOLD and get a Surface Pro 2.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yoga 2 is a big turnoff because of the battery life...5-6h is kinda weak if you compare it to similar ultrabooks in that price range...

Currently I am leaning towards the Acer Aspire s7-392. But still considering the Mac air.

1st world problems...FML