The "that doesn't belong there!" PC

Fasauceome

The new LTT video is yet another in a series of PC parts that are made to work outside of their intended parameters, following the sodimm to dimm converters and the laptop to desktop CPU mod from China. Now that we have ram, a CPU, and a graphics card that should never work in a gaming PC, what else would go in a PC that would get puzzling looks? I've also thought of an mSATA to SATA or an mSATA to M.2 conversion card.

Also, a case that doesn't seem quite right would also be neat.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, SethKraota said:

Server power supply in place of standard ATX psu?

Well it's loud, but there's no conversion needed for it to work correctly

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You may laugh, but it actually works.

It would go really well with a water cooler that doesn't belong, or a very specific air cooler that would have clearance. Anything come to mind outside of a wraith stealth modded for LGA 115x?

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

The new LTT video is yet another in a series of PC parts that are made to work outside of their intended parameters, following the sodimm to dimm converters and the laptop to desktop CPU mod from China. Now that we have ram, a CPU, and a graphics card that should never work in a gaming PC, what else would go in a PC that would get puzzling looks? I've also thought of an mSATA to SATA or an mSATA to M.2 conversion card.

What about PCIe to other expansion slot adapters

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

What about PCIe to other expansion slot adapters

I couldn't think of anything particularly helpful, I was hoping to conceive of a build that doesn't have strictly unnecessary things.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I couldn't think of anything particularly helpful, I was hoping to conceive of a build that doesn't have strictly unnecessary things.

:(

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Power everything with Molex and adapters...

If you could think of a molex only ATX power supply I would love that

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, SethKraota said:

Server psu's are so cheap and so reliable, I have purchased many!

Talking 12V and 90+ amps!

7 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Server psu's are so cheap and so reliable, I have purchased many!

Talking 12V and 90+ amps!

If I was to get an out of form factor PSU it would probably be an SFX PSU.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If I was to get an out of form factor PSU it would probably be an SFX PSU.

I just look for whatever is cheapest, lots of server psu's can be had for $2-5 even on ebay. That is where I bought mine, with a pickup instead of shipping. National Recyclers are cool that way. I have been tempted to buy some 240V that were rated for 2000W+ but its way beyond what I need at the moment. Maybe when I build my own Electric Vehicle. Even a home made electric vehicle could beat a lambo or ferrari at the drag strip.

Just now, Canada EH said:

I just look for whatever is cheapest, lots of server psu's can be had for $2-5 even on ebay.

I always try to avoid both a used power supply and storage, unless server supplies are a different story

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I always try to avoid both a used power supply and storage, unless server supplies are a different story

Server PSU's are a different story, they are 200% reliable, they have to be.... for the server market.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Server PSU's are a different story, they are 200% reliable, they have to be.... for the server market.

I thought servers just used dual power supplies for when one fails? Well, something to consider if I wanted to build this and could bear the noise. Know of any tricks to reduce fan speed?

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

I thought servers just used dual power supplies for when one fails? Well, something to consider if I wanted to build this and could bear the noise. Know of any tricks to reduce fan speed?

I do not know as I do not use my server psu's for anything to do with computers or servers.

2 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

DIMM slots? Ha, PCIe!

alright, so sodimm to dimm to PCIe? hell yes.

gonna put this in the regular dim slots:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M2-SSD-DDR3-Adapter-DDR-to-M-2-SSD-Raiser-Riser-Card-M-2-NGFF-B/32952703645.html

Primary PC:

43 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

DIMM slots? Ha, PCIe!

42 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

alright, so sodimm to dimm to PCIe? hell yes.

gonna put this in the regular dim slots:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M2-SSD-DDR3-Adapter-DDR-to-M-2-SSD-Raiser-Riser-Card-M-2-NGFF-B/32952703645.html

You should put NVRAM in the SODIMM slot connected to the SODIMM-DIMM adapter attached to the DIMM-PCIe adapter!

That'd be the most roundabout way of creating storage...

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Modular, but don't plug in the Sata power connectors?

Sata to IDE for an SSD.

12 hours ago, SethKraota said:

10 hours ago, fasauceome said:

How about a fully modular redundant server PSU with molex (and ATX) connectors only?

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4