is it true that DuckDuckGo doesn't collect any of their user's data????

Jaok

Alot of  companies in the past have said that they don't collect their user's private data but in reality they did. How do I know that this isn't the case with DuckDuckGo?

Just now, Jaok said:

Alot of  companies in the past have said that they don't collect their user's private data but in reality they did. How do I know that this isn't the case with DuckDuckGo?

One thing you can do is try it for a few weeks. If you don't see as many targeted ads it is probably working.

yah thats why people use ddg over google. one of my friends switched over recently just because of this and he is happy with it. im not quite there yet but im probably going to something other than google once i get on Linux

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

One thing you can do is try it for a few weeks. If you don't see as many targeted ads it is probably working.

It didn't..been using it for a long time now..and don't ask why :#

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

10 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

It didn't..been using it for a long time now..and don't ask why :#

that wont help at all dude, the tracking is on the websites you visit, doesnt matter which search engine you used to get to that site

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

6 minutes ago, Neftex said:

that wont help at all dude, the tracking is on the websites you visit, doesnt matter which search engine you used to get to that site

You missed the point.

When op means doesn't track is that the search engine won't collect any information that you search.

So when you use the search engine it won't display any suggestion or ads based on your search history each time you use it..for example if the website you visit use Google Ads then the ads that will show up are usually based on your search history..If you often browse for pc parts then bunch of pc component ads will show up.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

You missed the point.

When op means doesn't track is that the search engine won't collect any information that you search.

So when you use the search engine it won't display any suggestion or ads based on your search history each time you use it..for example if website use Google Ads then the ads that will show up are usually based on your search history..If you often browse for pc parts then bunch of pc component ads will show up.

nah, youre missing the point when the pc components site uses google ads, it doesnt matter what search engine you use. those pc parts will show on other sites anyway

basically, using ddg "should" mean that only what you typed in the search right there on the site wont be tracked. thats it, no other benefit

7 minutes ago, Neftex said:

nah, youre missing the point when the pc components site uses google ads, it doesnt matter what search engine you used. those pc parts will show anyway

No it won't.

Google use cookies for ads purposes..if the website use Google ads then it will read the information from the cookies and show the ads that is the most relevant to the user.

Google Adsense Cookies 101

How does AdSense use cookies?

AdSense uses cookies to improve advertising. Some common applications are to target advertising based on what's relevant to a user, to improve reporting on campaign performance, and to avoid showing ads the user has already seen.

Cookies themselves contain no personally identifiable information. Depending on the publisher’s and the user’s settings, information associated with cookies used in advertising may be added to the user’s Google Account."

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

No it won't.

Google use cookies for ads purposes..if the website use Google ads then it will read the information from the cookies and show the ads that is the most relevant to the user.

Google Adsense Cookies 101

how does that contradict with what i said?

34 minutes ago, Jaok said:

How do I know that this isn't the case with DuckDuckGo?

You don't, unless you trust them to uphold their privacy policy. You do know for a fact that Google does track you, so if nothing else using DuckDuckGo gives you a chance of not being tracked.

If you're extra paranoid, Tor and (trustworthy) VPNs can help you further.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

even then, Tor/VPN wont protect you from cookies, other storage and browser fingerprinting

39 minutes ago, Neftex said:

First you said that which is not true because it will certainly help..regardless of the website you visit use cookies to track ads or not (which is pretty rare aside from facebook)but that's not the main point..cause we are talking about search engine here.

29 minutes ago, Neftex said:

nah, youre missing the point when the pc components site uses google ads, it doesnt matter what search engine you use

No if the said "pc part website" didn't use Google Ads then that "pc part website" won't show the ads based on the adsense cookies..

29 minutes ago, Neftex said:

those pc parts will show on other sites anyway 

Well that depends on the Sites..if you're referring to for example if PC PARTPICKER use cookies for ads then the "other sites" you visit use that cookies then yes..that website will show the pc partpicker ads.

But if those other sites use google adsense then it will show the ads from adsense cookies.

What i said is " IF the website use Google adsense cookies then that website will show the google adsense ads and will show you the most relevant ads.and that ads are gathered through search history when you use google or other sites that use google adsense cookies "

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Use searx.me instead. DDG is compromised as far as I know.

1) DuckDuckGo has a tracker on the home page.

2) DuckDuckGo tracks the ads you click on before redirecting you. You can see this in the screenshot below.

https://www.stoutner.com/new-default-homepage-and-search-engine/

Gabriel Weinberg, the founder of DuckDuckGo, used to run the Names Database.[1] This was a website that aimed to connect people who had lost contact by gathering lots and lots of e-mail addresses. Getting access could be done by either paying money, or submitting lots of e-mail addresses of other people. Since the service revolved around gathering personal information, it is very suspicious for Gabriel Weinberg to start a business that is privacy-oriented. [2]

DuckDuckGo used to set a tracking cookie, even though they claimed they didn't. This was done by a third party they cooperate with, which means that it wasn't necessarily intentional, but if it's unintentional, it shows a worrying lack of care.[3]

DuckDuckGo is based in the US. This makes it really easy for the NSA to compromise it. If it were based in the EU, for example, the NSA wouldn't have the legal power to force them to log everything without telling anyone. This wouldn't guarantee privacy, but it would make it a lot more plausible. Instead, they're based in the US, which means that the NSA can do whatever they want with them. There are secure search engines that are not based in the US.[3]

https://8ch.net/tech/ddg.html

sources:

https://archive.is/9wR4O

https://archive.is/N2qe8

https://archive.is/qntuk

30 minutes ago, Neftex said:

basically, using ddg "should" mean that only what you typed in the search right there on the site wont be tracked. thats it, no other benefit

I think its more than that..DDG mentioned that they didnt use cookies by default so not only they wont track your search history..they won't collect any of your information.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Bramimond said:

Hmm as DDG user..that sounds indeed sketchy..i'll read through all that..if those were real..welp then its time to switch to tor..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

11 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

What i said is " IF the website use Google adsense cookies then that website will show the google adsense ads and will show you the most relevant ads.and that ads are gathered through search history when you use google or other sites that use google adsense cookies "

the bold thing, thats exactly what im talking about. majority of websites use adsense - they dont need your search history when they can build it off of the websites you visit...

they dont need to know that you typed RTX 2080 Ti in the google search bar, when you were looking at that GPU in a fucking eshop that uses adsense...

Most websites you vist have Google Analytics and/or AdSense running in the background. So you are still giving data to Google regardless. You cannot really escape Google unless you go full offline nowadays.

I switched back from DDG to Google just because Google search algorithm is hands down better. They already collect my data anyway, so, does it really matter?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Nocte said:

Most websites you vist have Google Analytics and/or AdWords running in the background. So you are still giving data to Google regardless. You cannot really escape Google unless you go full offline nowadays.

I switched back from DDG to Google just because Google search algorithm is hands down better. They already collect my data anyway, so, does it really matter?

finally, someone who gets it. thank you

Just now, Neftex said:

the bold thing, thats exactly what im talking about. majority of websites use adsense - they dont need your search history when they can build it off of the websites you visit...

they dont need to know that you typed RTX 2080 Ti in the google search bar, when you were looking at that GPU in a fucking eshop...

The problem is..most of living being who use computer use search engine more than anything else and that is the main concern..the ads is well not really that important you can use adblock for that but its our search history or privacy that matters and what is the best way to get those information other than search engine...

Its more than just ads and thats why DDG or other alternative exist..

The bold thing or the main focus of this post is that whether DDG use such thing or not..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

@Hiya! im stopping here, if you didnt get the concept by now, i dont know what to tell you

19 minutes ago, Neftex said:

@Hiya! im stopping here, if you didnt get the concept by now, i dont know what to tell you

I know what you mean but you are well aware that google analytic does read information from the search engine as well..so if you can somehow manage to make them unable to read it because you dont have any it would be a plus.

And i am still in the learning phase..if you happen to know what i didnt then please..enlight me..just like most wise people would do.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

52 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I know what you mean but you are well aware that google analytic does read information from the search engine as well..so if you can somehow manage to make them unable to read it because you dont have any it would be a plus.

And i am still in the learning phase..if you happen to know what i didnt then please..enlight me..just like most wise people would do.

You only type a search term in Google Search. Google Analytics follows you on almost all websites, checking how much time you spend on each page, which pages of the website you vist etc.

If you think that Google Search is the problem, then you are not seeing the bigger picture of it.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, Nocte said:

You only type a search term in Google Search.

Yes which google will save it for their nasty purpose to use later on.

4 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Google Analytics follows you on almost all websites, checking how much time you spend on each page, which pages of the website you vist etc.

Agree but as i said..search engine is the most widely use features on the internet and i'll bet my butt that google got most of their information through that and to think that google search is not the problem is not right at least to me..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]