Epic Games could popularise Exclusivity deals in the PC ecosystem

Humbug
9 minutes ago, maartendc said:

In my opinion, it is about time that the Steam quasi-monopoly is broken. One company having a near-monopoly doesn't benefit consumers. Epic games is doing a lot of things right as far as I can see, offering more of the revenue % to the developer for example. They can either offer the game for cheaper, or choose to invest that money into developing better games. Everybody wins!

It's not just about the % the store takes.

Steamworks is a thing, and a lot of developers use that service. Epic (to my best knowledge) doesn't have anything like that.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

22 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Sorry, but I fail to see how being exclusive to the Epic games store is even REMOTELY similar to being exclusive on console.

If a game is exclusive on PS4, you would have to buy the PS4 hardware to play it.

If a game is exclusive to Nintendo Switch, I would have to buy a Switch to play it.

If a game is exclusive to Xbox, I need to buy an Xbox to play it.

If a game is exclusive to the Epic games store,.............

SO What!? I already own the PC, I just need to download a separate FREE client. It is not like they are forcing you to buy a new PC to run it?

In my opinion, it is about time that the Steam quasi-monopoly is broken. One company having a near-monopoly doesn't benefit consumers. Epic games is doing a lot of things right as far as I can see, offering more of the revenue % to the developer for example. They can either offer the game for cheaper, or choose to invest that money into developing better games. Everybody wins!

Ah yes everybody. Including EA, ubisoft, and cd projekt. Instead of being contracted exclusive to epic, it could be excluded from steam, even including giving some reason to purchase from epic over the others.

23 minutes ago, Terryv said:

It's not just about the % the store takes.

Steamworks is a thing, and a lot of developers use that service. Epic (to my best knowledge) doesn't have anything like that.

Sure, but nobody is holding a gun to these developer's heads' saying they need to sign with Epic. If they really need / want some of the features Steam offers, they can just publish on Steam. If they see more benefit in Epic's platform, they can go with that. I don't see the problem. Just more choice for developers.

6 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Ah yes everybody. Including EA, ubisoft, and cd projekt. Instead of being contracted exclusive to epic, it could be excluded from steam, even including giving some reason to purchase from epic over the others. 

I don't know what you are trying to say? I mean EA, Ubi etc. have been doing their games exclusively on their stores for a while now, so this is really nothing new.

At the end of the day, there is no real competition in all these storefronts anyway, because all new games are $60 everywhere. And all the stores have annual / seasonal sales with deep discounts.

I only see benefits in having more choice for developers to which platform they go with. They can weigh the pro's and cons of each platform for themselves and decide where they publish. And for consumers, the only downside is needing to run multiple clients on your PC.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that bringing console bullshit to the PC like exclusivity deals is healthy for competition and consumers.

/s

8 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Sure, but nobody is holding a gun to these developer's heads' saying they need to sign with Epic. If they really need / want some of the features Steam offers, they can just publish on Steam. If they see more benefit in Epic's platform, they can go with that. I don't see the problem. Just more choice for developers.

I don't know what you are trying to say? I mean EA, Ubi etc. have been doing their games exclusively on their stores for a while now, so this is really nothing new.

At the end of the day, there is no real competition in all these storefronts anyway, because all new games are $60 everywhere. And all the stores have annual / seasonal sales with deep discounts.

I only see benefits in having more choice for developers to which platform they go with. They can weigh the pro's and cons of each platform for themselves and decide where they publish. And for consumers, the only downside is needing to run multiple clients on your PC.

Nobody is arguing about first party content. What's to stop valve from making exclusivity deals now? If it shows successful valves going to jump on that too, and then square one comes back into view. A choice would be putting games on all front, minus steam if they really want to bring up competition. Unless of course you consider not purchasing to be a choice in which case its looking like that will be my choice for super meat boy forever and journey.

14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

meh, the game will be trash anyway and by the times it starts getting a bit decent, it will go into life support mode and never deal with the rampant hacker player base in order to focus on the next instalment of the series 

What game?  Use your quotes.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|