How to turn EPS into 8 pin PCIe? (ordered wrong cables)

Pancakewagon26

So I ordered some cablemod custom extensions and I was in a rush and was really stupid for not checking over the order and I accidentally ordered 2 CPU cables instead of PCIe cables. So I contacted their support and waiting for the return and the new cables to be delivered could be up to a month. So I am looking for any other possible solutions, 2 ideas I had:

1.) My local microcenter sells cheap premade Cablemod extensions and I am wondering if it may be possible to buy a PCIe kit, remove the wires and connectors from the custom cables and place them in the right housing from the kit. I am assuming since you can buy individual sleeved cables to build your own custom extensions that they all carry the same current and in theory could work. Again this is an assumption and  could be totally wrong.

2.) (probably the worst idea but I've seen several people online try it) Is to mold the plastic connectors and force them to fit into the graphics card.

3.) Take the actual braided sleeve off and put it onto a correct extension

That's how you kill the GPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can't.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

EPS 12V+ has an extra 12V line that maps to ground for PCIe. So if you try to plug in a EPS 12V+ line into a PCIe plug, you'll kill the card.

Otherwise if you're just trying to mod the cable and you're plugging both ends into PCIe, then sure, you could mangle the connecting end so it'll eventually fit.

Just now, Pancakewagon26 said:

? which one 

2nd

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

EPS 12V+ has an extra 12V line that maps to ground for PCIe. So if you try to plug in a EPS 12V+ line into a PCIe plug, you'll kill the card.

Otherwise if you're just trying to mod the cable and you're plugging both ends into PCIe, then sure, you could mangle the connecting end so it'll eventually fit.

I am trying to plug the EPS extension into the original PCIe cable

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

2nd

Do you think its possible to take out the wires and put them into the correct connector?

1 minute ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

Do you think its possible to take out the wires and put them into the correct connector?

I mean yeah, I guess but that's a really big hassle IMO. You might damage the sleeving

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Didn't your PSU come with normal cables? Use those for now and just wait for CableMod's replacement.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, mxk. said:

I mean yeah, I guess but that's a really big hassle IMO. You might damage the sleeving

Will it work, and not fry any parts?

Just now, Shiv78 said:

Didn't your PSU come with normal cables? Use those for now and just wait for CableMod's replacement.

Yea but it's $40.00 for shipping+return and as stated will take a month. Yes I do have the cables, as these are extensions, but it is preferable I don't need to send them back.

Will it work, and not fry any parts?

I mean you're using the right cabling, right? It'll be the correct power delivery and such. Just make sure that the connector, the black piece on the end, is the PCIe connector, because EPS is 8 pin, but not the same shape of connectors at some of the pin square thingys

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

You can.  Just compare the pinout of EPS to PCI e 8-pin.

Trim the corners of the plastic pegs so they fit, or force it into the connector after you have changed the wiring to be correct.

You can heat the plastic so that it is easier to push into the connector as well.

I have had to do this on some custom bench power supply scenarios.

Just now, mxk. said:

I mean you're using the right cabling, right? It'll be the correct power delivery and such. Just make sure that the connector, the black piece on the end, is the PCIe connector, because EPS is 8 pin, but not the same shape of connectors at some of the pin square thingys

Sorry I explained this poorly. What I am trying to do is put the custom cable extension which is eps onto the pcie 8 pin cable from the power supply.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

You can.  Just compare the pinout of EPS to PCI e 8-pin.

Trim the corners of the plastic pegs so they fit, or force it into the connector after you have changed the wiring to be correct.

how will the wiring need to be done, are they all the same or do the individual wires have different currents?

Just now, Pancakewagon26 said:

how will the wiring need to be done, are they all the same or do the individual wires have different currents?

Current does not matter.

Look up a pinout for both connectors.  PEG 8-pin has 3x 12v lines, 4x grounds, and 1x sense pin (which is wired to ground).

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Current does not matter.

Look up a pinout for both connectors.  PEG 8-pin has 3x 12v lines, 4x grounds, and 1x sense pin (which is wired to ground).

Ok, so are any of the individual wires different from each other, or are they all the same, if the wiring is messed up can it damage the gpu?

Ok, so are any of the individual wires different from each other, or are they all the same, if the wiring is messed up can it damage the gpu?

Yow will have to change the wiring.  You can NOT just force it into the GPU without changing the pinout.  The 4th 12v line connects to a sense pin that is supposed to be grounded.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Yow will have to change the wiring.  You can NOT just force it into the GPU without changing the pinout.

ok thank you.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Yow will have to change the wiring.  You can NOT just force it into the GPU without changing the pinout.

He's asking if each individual wire is identical (gauge, material, etc).

He wants to use an EPS cable extension connected to a PCIe 8-pin power cable.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

He's asking if each individual wire is identical (gauge, material, etc).

He wants to use an EPS cable extension connected to a PCIe 8-pin power cable.

Wire gauge is standardized, everything except for old floppy connectors use the same wire gauge.

Also, better pinout, because the "Sense A" occupies the same location as in the PEG 6 plug...  

pinout-pcie.png.324dcb7cd940ba4413b5350aec152d23.png

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Wire gauge is standardized, everything except for old floppy connectors use the same wire gauge.

Also, better pinout...

pinout-pcie.png.324dcb7cd940ba4413b5350aec152d23.png

but since the EPS cables (which are extensions) are being plugged into the psu pcie does the pinout still matter because they are extensions not full length cables?

4 minutes ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

but since the EPS cables (which are extensions) are being plugged into the psu pcie does the pinout still matter because they are extensions not full length cables?

If you are plugging an 8-pin PEG connector into the extension, the pinout is technically correct and you can just connect to the GPU.

Be VERY careful though, if you change something in the future you can fry your GPU if you forget to plug a PEG connector into the extension and connect an EPS 12v instead.