How to turn EPS into 8 pin PCIe? (ordered wrong cables)

Pancakewagon26
4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

If you are plugging an 8-pin PEG connector into the extension, the pinout is technically correct and you can just connect to the GPU.

Be VERY careful though, if you change something in the future you can fry your GPU if you forget to plug a PEG connector into the extension and connect an EPS 12v instead.

is peg the same as pcie? I just want to confirm: Plugging the EPS extension(without changing pinout) into the power supply's PCIe cable will electrically work and in theory should not damage any parts.

33 minutes ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

is peg the same as pcie? I just want to confirm: Plugging the EPS extension(without changing pinout) into the power supply's PCIe cable will electrically work and in theory should not damage any parts.

PEG = PCI Express Graphics = PCI-e power

Yeah, as long as you make sure the alignment is correct on both ends.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

PEG = PCI Express Graphics = PCI e power

Great, thank you for all the help!

1 hour ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

Sorry I explained this poorly. What I am trying to do is put the custom cable extension which is eps onto the pcie 8 pin cable from the power supply.

no don't do this

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

no don't do this

someone else had explained that the pinout matches up, so why wouldnt it work?

29 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

PEG = PCI Express Graphics = PCI-e power

Cablemod support said the wires used in extensions are all standard 18 gauge copper, so if they are all the same does the alignment matter?

1 hour ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

Do you think its possible to take out the wires and put them into the correct connector?

Absolutely. You just have to make sure you're doing everything correctly. I would definitely inspect and test before putting it into an actual system. If you do anything wrong, it will be probably catastrophic. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Absolutely. You just have to make sure you're doing everything correctly. I would definitely inspect and test before putting it into an actual system. If you do anything wrong, it will be probably catastrophic. 

Several people have pointed out to me the pinout and specific wire placement. But aren't all extensions just 18 guage copper wire, does it even matter? Since I am putting the wires of the EPS extension into the PSU's 8 pin PCIe which obviously has correct voltage and grounding, does any placement matter?

4 minutes ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

Several people have pointed out to me the pinout and specific wire placement. But aren't all extensions just 18 guage copper wire, does it even matter? Since I am putting the wires of the EPS extension into the PSU's 8 pin PCIe which obviously has correct voltage and grounding, does any placement matter?

As long as the wire functions are correct and in the correct location, it doesn't matter which ones you use(each 12V wires are equal to each other for example). As far as all extensions using the same gauge wires, a quality company like Cablemod might do something like that, but a cheaper manufacturer may use smaller diameter wires to save on cost.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

As long as the wire functions are correct and in the correct location, it doesn't matter which ones you use(each 12V wires are equal to each other for example). As far as all extensions using the same gauge wires, a quality company like Cablemod might do something like that, but a cheaper manufacturer may use smaller diameter wires to save on cost.

by wire functions do you mean male and female connectors? and location? Just want to be sure I don't fry my gpu.

3 minutes ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

by wire functions do you mean male and female connectors? and location? Just want to be sure I don't fry my gpu.

Mostly talking about what wires do what within a power supply. Grounding, +12V, etc. But yes, everything should be correct otherwise to ensure proper functionality. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Mostly talking about what wires do what within a power supply. Grounding, +12V, etc. But yes, everything should be correct otherwise to ensure proper functionality. 

I guess my question is since the wires are all the same does the pinout (the location of the grounding and 12v etc) even matter? So if i put the wires in a random spot would it still work correctly or would it damage the parts.

3 hours ago, Pancakewagon26 said:

I guess my question is since the wires are all the same does the pinout (the location of the grounding and 12v etc) even matter? So if i put the wires in a random spot would it still work correctly or would it damage the parts.

No, they must follow the pinouts.

The wires are not all the same. Some ground and some provide electrical energy. If they are not inserted in the right locations, you will damage the parts and have a non-functional PC.

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

No, they must follow the pinouts.

The wires are not all the same. Some ground and some provide electrical energy. If they are not inserted in the right locations, you will damage the parts and have a non-functional PC.

The OP is plugging an 8-pin PCIe power cable into the extension, and plugging that into the GPU.  Extension cables are straight through, so no cable modification is needed.  You just have to get it plugged in, which is a bit more difficult because you have to force it, but will work fine.

5 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

The OP is plugging an 8-pin PCIe power cable into the extension, and plugging that into the GPU.  Extension cables are straight through, so no cable modification is needed.  You just have to get it plugged in, which is a bit more difficult because you have to force it, but will work fine.

Great!

9 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

I saw the rest of the conversation, and indeed, you are correct. If he is simply to do that, the only worry is connecting the extension to the PSU cable, and then to the graphics card.