Go Custom or Go AIO?

Seacoast

To Custom or AIO  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you suggest building a Custom Loop or just use an AIO?

• Custom Loop
    • AIO

Hello All,

I am going through the first phase of upgrading my PC.  I built it 5 years ago knowing that I could upgrade it as I go along and I want to start that process.  I'm starting with very basics of moving my current components to a new case and adding some cable extensions or custom cables to help make the PC look good.  My current CPU and GPU or out-dated but work for me right now so those will get upgraded later down the line.

I'm planning on purchasing the NZXT H500 or H500i, not sure if I want the RGB or not. If I do i want to keep it subtle.  Anyway I want to water cool my system.  They do not make waterblocks that I can find for my GPU (GTX 760) so right now it would be my CPU only (I5 3350p). 

I am not sure though whether to go with just an AIO system like the Corsair Hydro H100i, or start with a Custom Loop that I can expand on later.  I'm looking at the EK S240 as the base of this loop.

Any insight on past experiences would be great.  I basically am looking to create clean classy looking system, hence why I keep getting pulled to the NZXT H500 series for the case.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

~Seacoast

If you want that case go aio,If you wanted a full loop cpu and gpu id look at cases that fit a 360 rad at least or 360 and 280 depending how much cooling you need.

With the NZXT H500, I would stick with an AIO.  You might be hard pressed to fit a custom loop inside that case.  Not impossible though.  

I did the Kraken x62 in my stepson's H500 and it fits like a glove.  Nice, neat and it works pretty good.

If you want a custom loop, I recommend a bigger case that can accommodate a larger radiator and reservoir.  Also only if you want to get into 

higher and more extreme overclocking.    

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

While that hardware does not require any form of water cooling, I would suggest to get an AIO. Easier to fit, less maintenance and much, much cheaper

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

9 hours ago, Seacoast said:

I'm planning on purchasing the NZXT H500 or H500i, not sure if I want the RGB or not. If I do i want to keep it subtle.  

those cases are trash for water-cooling(only one rad mount at front definitely go for an aio nzxt kraken or h100i

9 hours ago, Seacoast said:

\.  Anyway I want to water cool my system.  They do not make waterblocks that I can find for my GPU (GTX 760) so right now it would be my CPU only (I5 3350p). 

uhm I would recommend spending the money you would spend on a loop 100-130 on aio or 300+ for custom loop and use it to upgrade your hardware before you think about getting a custom loop or aio. 

Thank you all for the input, it seems that everyone suggested AIO specifically for that case and ease of use as well as the fact that I currently am not running a system that needs a custom loop cooling capacity.

@Happycowdance, as far as upgrading my hardware, honestly I have been on the lookout and want to check out what AMD does at CES with their Ryzen line and potentially swap over to an AMD Build.  

I think right now i'll relook at some cases and see if there are options out there for a 360-420 top mounted Radiators that fit the looks that I am going for, and if I end up going with the H500 i'll stick with AIO's.

I'll be sure to post pictures once the build process as started.

If the amd rumors are right the tdps will be low enough water cooling won't even be needed.

3 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

If the amd rumors are right the tdps will be low enough water cooling won't even be needed.

That would be pretty awesome, however the reason I want to go with water instead of air cooling on my next build is esthetics mostly.  If i get a case with a big glass panel to view the components I dont want this massive air cooler front and center.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, Seacoast said:

Hello All,

I am going through the first phase of upgrading my PC.  I built it 5 years ago knowing that I could upgrade it as I go along and I want to start that process.  I'm starting with very basics of moving my current components to a new case and adding some cable extensions or custom cables to help make the PC look good.  My current CPU and GPU or out-dated but work for me right now so those will get upgraded later down the line.

I'm planning on purchasing the NZXT H500 or H500i, not sure if I want the RGB or not. If I do i want to keep it subtle.  Anyway I want to water cool my system.  They do not make waterblocks that I can find for my GPU (GTX 760) so right now it would be my CPU only (I5 3350p). 

I am not sure though whether to go with just an AIO system like the Corsair Hydro H100i, or start with a Custom Loop that I can expand on later.  I'm looking at the EK S240 as the base of this loop.

Any insight on past experiences would be great.  I basically am looking to create clean classy looking system, hence why I keep getting pulled to the NZXT H500 series for the case.

~Seacoast

personally, I wouldn't upgrade the cooling on a CPU and GPU that you might be changing, especially if it has worked so far with what you have. but if you do go water cooling for whatever reason, I would go with the AIO because  I'm pretty sure it is less maintenance and less risk of spilling water on your board and components.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, Seacoast said:

Hello All,

~Seacoast

AIOs only have 2 use cases where they are worth havign over top end air cooling.

1)M-ATX / M-ITX form factor builds where u cant fit an air cooler.

2)Normal builds using a 360mm AIO.

Smaller AIO like the common 240mm, are not worth it at all.

if you 'thinking' about going custom loop, i sugest u do it. Dont waste money on a AIO.

Start of with a soft tubed CPu only custom loop, then upgrade later. This is how i got into it.

if u want to go a stage further and start of even easier, get a CPU only custom loop 'kit', u could can go a stage even further back and go wth a Aluminium kit, though that restricts ur future upgrade paths as u can only use Aluminium loop components from that point on.  (you can not mix Aluminium and Copper water cooling components)

That said, Custom loop water cooling is somthing you generaly do with 'spare' money after a build, or during a build after already getting the best performing primary components. You dont sacrifice GPU or CPU budget to get a custom loop.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

AIOs only have 2 use cases where they are worth havign over top end air cooling.

1)M-ATX / M-ITX form factor builds where u cant fit an air cooler.

2)Normal builds using a 360mm AIO.

Smaller AIO like the common 240mm, are not worth it at all.

if you 'thinking' about going custom loop, i sugest u do it. Dont waste money on a AIO.

Start of with a soft tubed CPu only custom loop, then upgrade later. This is how i got into it.

if u want to go a stage further and start of even easier, get a CPU only custom loop 'kit', u could can go a stage even further back and go wth a Aluminium kit, though that restricts ur future upgrade paths as u can only use Aluminium loop components from that point on.  (you can not mix Aluminium and Copper water cooling components)

That said, Custom loop water cooling is somthing you generaly do with 'spare' money after a build, or during a build after already getting the best performing primary components. You dont sacrifice GPU or CPU budget to get a custom loop.

Hey thanks for the input. I plan on upgrading my other components later on during this year,  primarily waiting to see what the new ryzen 3000 series looks like as I may want to go with them and do an AMD build with something like the ryzen 5. 

I considered going aluminum but the only real it's and pieces are from EK Fluid Gaming and for an extra 100$ I could get their normal kit which allows me to get other parts I may want to ad later. 

In terms of a case,  I'm more leaning towards the O11 dynamic since this has a ton of support for more water than I'll put in the case. 

All this being said I could wait to do the loop until I decide on the new Mobo and just stick with the air coolers until that point.