Michael Pachter confirms he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, claims PS5 will be capable of 4K @ 240FPS

Master Disaster
2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Looking at that and his wording he definitely does appear to be suggesting the next gen xbox will do 4K [at] 240 FPS. Whether intended to or not, he ties the framerate to the resolution and reinforces that connection by comparing it to 1080p 60FPS, and refers to it as the "next generation" of 4K implying that it is different & improved from current generation 4k (30/60FPS).

His comments from the discussion with Gamingbolt last week didn't tie the framerate to the resolution, merely lists features that it would have which would imply 4K or 240FPS features, however these comments from the youtube video link the FPS and resolution together and using this as context you could assume that when he was discussing the PS5 with Gamingbolt he did indeed mean to describe it as 4K at 240FPS.

I've messaged him on twitter asking him to clarify what he meant, so I'll be interested to see if he responds.

I believe that question has already been answered. It was recently announced that the new DP protocol supports 4K at upto 240FPS. It seems as though he's seen that and assumed it means thats what the consoles are capable of.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I believe that question has already been answered. It was recently announced that the new DP protocol supports 4K at upto 240FPS. It seems as though he's seen that and assumed it means thats what the consoles are capable of.

No. What he said is accurate. You've just assumed he meant 4k @ 240fps, and misquoted him. You're spreading false information.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

30 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

but will it have a disc drive?

It'll use these 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

No. What he said is accurate. You've just assumed he meant 4k @ 240fps, and misquoted him. You're spreading false information.

Or what the guy said was deliberately misleading to make sure the comment got noticed. That's still entirely possible.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Or he did mean exactly what I thought and you're the one that is wrong. Either scenario is just as likely.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Or he did mean exactly what I thought and you're the one that is wrong. Either scenario is just as likely.

No, that's incredibly unlikely. Even if he does thing that, the thread title is false. He didn't say "at".

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

lol they'll be lucky to get 4K@60 FPS, and even then it won't hit that res and/or that framerate in all games.  To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see them target 8K30 instead.  Game devs for console seem obsessed with higher resolution that the device can't even actually achieve (see checkerboard and other tech like it) that no one even notices anyway rather than devoting the performance toward frame rate that actually makes a huge difference in the experience.  If they do, expect it to actually be 4K30 upscaled.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:05 AM, Master Disaster said:

You're preaching to the choir, I fully understand this concept. Unfortunately the non technical people reading about this probably won't understand the difference as is proven by the fact the article I quoted from literally states the PS5 can do 4K @ 240fps.

If you're so sure he didn't mean 4K @ 240 then care to explain why he separated the terms with a space when talking about Xbox but used the word and when talking about Sony? I mean he obviously felt the need to separate the terms for one console which proves he understands the difference between the terms. Why separate for Microsoft but not for Sony?

If someone said to you "my PC can do 4K and 240fps" how exactly would you interpret that sentence? I know what it would mean to me.

Yep everyone does an in depth analysis of what they are going to say before they say it. I mean sometimes people even vary the way they say things because it sounds less reptive. There are many reason why they would change the way they said it even though they meant the same thing. I mean do you really think they meant 4k 240 fps? There isn't a display that I know of that can do 4k 240hz. Last I checked the best you can get is 4k 144hz and that is with color compression. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol they'll be lucky to get 4K@60 FPS, and even then it won't hit that res and/or that framerate in all games.  To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see them target 8K30 instead.  Game devs for console seem obsessed with higher resolution that the device can't even actually achieve (see checkerboard and other tech like it) that no one even notices anyway rather than devoting the performance toward frame rate that actually makes a huge difference in the experience.  If they do, expect it to actually be 4K30 upscaled.

The cpus in consoles aren't very good for reaching high fps. I believe that is the reason why they decided to focus on high res because it can leverage the gpu power they do have. When they start making consoles based on Zen it will change that and I expect they will shoot for high refresh rate gaming. 

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The cpus in consoles aren't very good for reaching high fps. I believe that is the reason why they decided to focus on high res because it can leverage the gpu power they do have. When they start making consoles based on Zen it will change that and I expect they will shoot for high refresh rate gaming. 

I feel like if that was a priority they would have made sure to get hardware that can do it rather than just taking what they got, as if they had no control over it, and saying "well I guess we have to design to fit this now".  I think there just isn't a desire for it.  Slowly, I think that is improving but it's been like this for so long, I don't expect any appreciable change for a while yet still.  Who knows, maybe VR will change that as it will force them to hit 90+ fps, but I'm not sure there's much demand for that either.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

When they start making consoles based on Zen it will change that and I expect they will shoot for high refresh rate gaming. 

Doubt it. TV displays are likely to max at 90-100-120hz as going above makes little sence. They will most likely target 60hz maximum for now. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I feel like if that was a priority they would have made sure to get hardware that can do it rather than just taking what they got, as if they had no control over it, and saying "well I guess we have to design to fit this now".  I think there just isn't a desire for it.  Slowly, I think that is improving but it's been like this for so long, I don't expect any appreciable change for a while yet still.  Who knows, maybe VR will change that as it will force them to hit 90+ fps, but I'm not sure there's much demand for that either.

They are console makers. They are absolutely limited on what they can put into their console mostly due to cost concerns. If they weren't then they could just build an Intel machine with an nvidia gpu and go for high refresh rate gaming. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Doubt it. TV displays are likely to max at 90-100-120hz as going above makes little sence. They will most likely target 60hz maximum for now. 

They are competing against each other so if one doesn't do it and the other one does than it will make a significant impact. There is a pretty good chance that they will have a highrefreshrate mode and a normal 60fps mode. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

They are console makers. They are absolutely limited on what they can put into their console mostly due to cost concerns. If they weren't then they could just build an Intel machine with an nvidia gpu and go for high refresh rate gaming. 

The game's changing a bit now with both Intel and AMD making massive changes to their lineups, but for a long while it was Intel basically standing alone.  The alternative was FX, which was delivering only a fraction of the single-threaded performance for the same money, and in a time when games never used more than 4 cores, thus made no sense for gaming and yet afaik all the consoles used either those chips, or something else like it (not like it in terms of arch but in terms of not being Intel when it could have been).

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The game's changing a bit now with both Intel and AMD making massive changes to their lineups, but for a long while it was Intel basically standing alone.  The alternative was FX, which was delivering only a fraction of the single-threaded performance for the same money, and in a time when games never used more than 4 cores, thus made no sense for gaming and yet afaik all the consoles used either those chips, or something else like it (not like it in terms of arch but in terms of not being Intel when it could have been).

Again if an Intel and nvidia solution was the same price they would have gone for it but that wasn't the case. 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They are competing against each other so if one doesn't do it and the other one does than it will make a significant impact. There is a pretty good chance that they will have a highrefreshrate mode and a normal 60fps mode. 

They will both use very similar hardware since AMD is their supplier. They might go higher, but graphical limitations say that will be for very specific titles, or VR as previusly mentioned in this thread.

These consoles will last for a few years and if they can get more graphical fidelity without dropping fps over time, they will do so

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Again if an Intel and nvidia solution was the same price they would have gone for it but that wasn't the case. 

Well that's the thing, it would have been, at least looking at the normal consumer prices.  Perhaps behind the scenes AMD likes to cut these companies a much larger discount than Intel would have offered.  That or they just made a bad choice.  Remember that's always possible :P Never assume everyone behaves logically, because they don't.

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Its not nice to relly on 2 suppliers for parts. Also AMD Locked themselves as console supplier for at least another 3 years, meaning they have had the time to prove they are good supplier of such hardware while asking low margins themselves

20 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that's the thing, it would have been, at least looking at the normal consumer prices.  Perhaps behind the scenes AMD likes to cut these companies a much larger discount than Intel would have offered.  That or they just made a bad choice.  Remember that's always possible :P Never assume everyone behaves logically, because they don't.

Oh there is no doubt that AMD made the better price offer. 

17 hours ago, Spotty said:

I've messaged him on twitter asking him to clarify what he meant, so I'll be interested to see if he responds. 

Shoutout to @michaelpachter for taking the time to respond to my twitter message.

240 fps at 1080p and 60 fps at 4k. I don't think I was very clear in the interview. No need to beef it up so fast for 4k, nobody would pay for the GPU.

image.thumb.png.869a68337762558d74f4d8f773e4c41c.png

Edited by Spotty
Added quote box

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Shoutout to @michaelpachter for taking the time to respond to my twitter message.

image.thumb.png.869a68337762558d74f4d8f773e4c41c.png

Well, that makes more sense. Much more sense. I think he should have been more clear originally though. It'd be pretty easy to confuse what he was saying.

49 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Man, people jump to conclusions so quickly. If your conclusion doesn't make sense, then you should probably take a step back and think of the other possibilities.

I thought so too, but keep this in mind statements like this are what people are used to, was my wallpaper for a time. 

jsxNy9S.thumb.png.7ef4d6f3b629b245db67bfb4ac89d9ec.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

52 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I thought so too, but keep this in mind statements like this are what people are used to, was my wallpaper for a time.jsxNy9S.thumb.png.7ef4d6f3b629b245db67bfb4ac89d9ec.png

Makes me cringe ?