i3 4130 with sli gtx 660

CPU will bottleneck

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

tell your friend he should sell the i3, because it is bad ( had one, no overclocking means bad ) tell him to buy a decent CPU, he will get the boost just by doing that... i3 is a NO for a good GPU

The Core i3 is quite a good CPU, it's like a i7 with 2 cores less, most of today's games don't use over 2 cores. On single threaded performance it does a pretty good job

Yes it will bottleneck the hell out of the system. Sell the i3 and any old junk laying around. Buy an i5 4330 and then buy another 660. No bottleneck then.

My PC:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230 V3(Haswell) @ 3.7GHz Motherboard: AsRock B85M-ITX RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue @ 1600MHz Storage: Intel 520 Series 120(Boot), Seagate Barracuda 500GB @ 7200RPM, Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB @ 5400RPM GPU: ZOTAC GTX 970 @ 1.4GHz Case: Node 304 Power Supply: CX430

The Core i3 is quite a good CPU, it's like a i7 with 2 cores less, most of today's games don't use over 2 cores. On single threaded performance it does a pretty good job

hate to break it to ya but it's not 2006 most games use 4 cores, I say get a better CPU first.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Like an i7 but with 2 less cores, that is the same as saying that BMW 3 is the same as BMW 7 series but with 4 less cylinders.... No, just No, an i3 is good for office work, that's it.

i had one, and now i have an i7, the difference is huge. Even in single/dual threaded games it has lag, when you are pushing to the limits of the chip.

I played battlefield 3, and crysis 3 on that, you can't play that at high, because the CPU will be at it's limit all the time, you will suffer, and crysis 3 will run soo poorly it is sad, even games like LoL at high settings can dip under 40, and you will notice that.

i3's and fx4000 are pretty much 720p modern games, and 1080p older games ready, so he could step up to an FX 6350 it is not that much more expensive, and sell the i3 ( i would not recommend a chip that can't overclock these days ).

No point making multi GPU configurations if your CPU is not capable, yes the i3 has outstanding single threaded performance, but that is far from being enough!!! 

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

a dual core is fine my friend runs battlefield 4 fine on his i3

Your questions was about the i3 bottlenecking a 660 SLI not what games can run on the setup. An i3 with a 660 SLI will have a bottleneck. You would still be able to ply your games on it but the bottleneck would be there. What your friend should do is keep the money he has now and keep adding to it and some time later this year get a new motherboard, CPU, a k skew preferably and GPU and some RAM and put together another system.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Your questions was about the i3 bottlenecking a 660 SLI not what games can run on the setup. An i3 with a 660 SLI will have a bottleneck. You would still be able to ply your games on it but the bottleneck would be there. What your friend should do is keep the money he has now and keep adding to it and some time later this year get a new motherboard, CPU, a k skew preferably and GPU and some RAM and put together another system.

He doesnt need a new motherboad just save up for a better cpu

He doesnt need a new motherboad just save up for a better cpu

He can do that too.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

No!!! People seem to say stuff they hear on the internet and its mostly not the case. The GPU will still perform to its full potential. If you're running a game that is purely GPU intensive then the performance would not be affected unless you're running it with a CPU few generations old. Also most games only use 2 cores so haswell i3 won't hold it back.

I get better FPS in most games with i3 4140 and GTX 770 than a friend with 3570k and a GTX 760 and so would anyone else...

This is not a lousy i3, the haswell chips are very powerful, there are benchmarks and reviews all over the internet.

No!!! People seem to say stuff they hear on the internet and its mostly not the case. The GPU will still perform to its full potential. If you're running a game that is purely GPU intensive then the performance would not be affected unless you're running it with a CPU few generations old. Also most games only use 2 cores so haswell i3 won't hold it back.

I get better FPS in most games with i3 4140 and GTX 770 than a friend with 3570k and a GTX 760 and so would anyone else...

This guy knows what I'm talking about

Like an i7 but with 2 less cores, that is the same as saying that BMW 3 is the same as BMW 7 series but with 4 less cylinders.... No, just No, an i3 is good for office work, that's it.

i had one, and now i have an i7, the difference is huge. Even in single/dual threaded games it has lag, when you are pushing to the limits of the chip.

I played battlefield 3, and crysis 3 on that, you can't play that at high, because the CPU will be at it's limit all the time, you will suffer, and crysis 3 will run soo poorly it is sad, even games like LoL at high settings can dip under 40, and you will notice that.

i3's and fx4000 are pretty much 720p modern games, and 1080p older games ready, so he could step up to an FX 6350 it is not that much more expensive, and sell the i3 ( i would not recommend a chip that can't overclock these days ).

No point making multi GPU configurations if your CPU is not capable, yes the i3 has outstanding single threaded performance, but that is far from being enough!!! 

I was playing bf3 at 1080p max (ultra) settings with an i3 2100 and a 660ti, and I was getting (depending on the amount of shit blowing up in my face) 45-60 fps... After I upgraded to i5 3570k, my fps did stay at 55-60fps though. So yeah... not sad and poor at all.

So to answer the OP's question, It will bottleneck, but if it's temporary, then you will still see an improvement.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Get a new CPU. Get something like a low end i5 and then go for GTX 660Ti SLI.

Quote me to get a reply!

@OP The combination isn't great. It will probably bottleneck a little bit but not too bad. Just fiddle with the settings if some game is laggy.

What I'd recommend is, after you got the SLI, save up for a better CPU, as long as Haswell is still fresh and you can sell that 4130 for a good price.

So save up to a 4670K and sell the 4130 while it's still the newest generation.

who cares...

so should he be ok with getting antother gtx 660

For the time being. But tell him to get a i5 if possible later on to really let the two 660's perform at their best.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I was playing bf3 at 1080p max (ultra) settings with an i3 2100 and a 660ti, and I was getting (depending on the amount of shit blowing up in my face) 45-60 fps... After I upgraded to i5 3570k, my fps did stay at 55-60fps though. So yeah... not sad and poor at all.

So to answer the OP's question, It will bottleneck, but if it's temporary, then you will still see an improvement.

Funny because i got the same with my i3 but it felt laggy, the shown FPS did not really translate in real life, controlling recoil was much harder, and my i7 fixed that, but my FPS is way over yours i have a gtx 670, that is not that much fater, i can even get over 100 fps on maps like firestorm and in team DM maps.

i3 is not for gaming over 720p realistically even if you get good FPS it can cause laggy and stuttery gameplay , so an i5 and an i7 are way better, i said nothing wrong, an i3 isn't a good 1080p gaming experience, you can get 1080p on lowest possible settings with some AAA titles, but still, not that great, if that is enough, then go for it. dual cores from intel and quad cores from AMD are not good for multi GPU configurations, that is it!

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)