What CPU goes well with a GTX 1070

LuckyCla

i recently got a gtx 1070 and my i5-2400 is bottlenecking the crap out of it. any ideas on what BUDGET cpu to get? Also, I'm hoping to get a board that supports DDR3 ram so i dont have to buy more ram.

i7 3770 will probably do.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

the guy at best buy told me to get an i5-6600k, how much difference will i get between the two?

Well, the i5 is newer but the i7 will perform better. You just gotta buy used. The i5 might perform better in some games if overclocked, but I'm pretty sure you can pay about the same if you get a good overclocking motherboard (in case you don't already have one) and the i7 3770k? You're gonna have to look it up because I'm not aware of the pricing of these outside of my country.

Still, cheapest and easiest option is the i7 3770. Also, find out what your motherboard is and your bios version. You might have to update the bios so it can support the i7. If anything, get the i7 2600/2700 and it's pretty much sure it will be work.

the best buy workers haven't been very helpful in the past so... ?

how much of a bottleneck will i get with the i7 3770

12 minutes ago, LuckyCla said:

how much of a bottleneck will i get with the i7 3770

A GTX 1070 and i7 3770 are pretty evenly matched IMO, you would only get CPU bottle-necking in extreme cases like CS:GO at 720p, but not under any normal conditions. But make sure to check that your motherboard BIOS supports the 3rd gen processors, if not just get an i7 2600. Anything outside those options you're looking at a new motherboard and unless you can find a good deal you're better off going a recent generation build which will mean you'll have to purchase new RAM.

6 minutes ago, LuckyCla said:

can i run max settings in fortnite with 60+ fps at max load?

For sure

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad