Shutting down in some games/levels, gpu, cpu, psu or ram?

Jakers038

I have an issue that I can't figure out, whether it's driver problem, temperatures, cpu, ram or something else.

I recently bought a used RX 470 and I immediately ran it on the Afterburner's included benchmark, I ran it on a standard speed and my variant's (Strix) OC of 1270 and everything worked perfectly, no issues whatsoever, I even let it run for 20 minutes at full speed and at the moment my PC case was positioned vertically and even though it's a old case without fans and even though it got really hot temps on both CPU and GPU after that much workload, after 20 minutes, there was still no issues regardless of the temps.

Later on I figured that if I positioned the PC case horizontally, that that gives me a 10-20% temp improvement for free.

I played Just Cause 3 for days at high settings, I think at 1440x900 or 1680x1050, I played Battlefield 1 from start to end of campaign at high settings as well, I played GTA V with the Redux high res textures mod for hours as well and there was no problem, Euro truck simulator at high settings for days and I think a few more games and there was no issues or crashing at all.

Then I tried Sniper ghost warrior 3 and it crashed several times in the very first mission, before the hardware even managed to warm up, I kept trying, but it crashed every time. This also happened on the Battlefield V's Tiger campaign mission, a minute or two passes and crash, even though I played the entire Norway, Africa and France campaign missions without issues on the same settings. Lastly it happened yesterday with Just Cause 4 when I was flying very fast with the bodysuit thing for a few minutes, so based on that I think that the issue might be with VRAM or RAM? I played Just Cause 4 for about an hour and half and that's when the crash happened, but before that everything ran ok.

The other specs are i5 3450 cpu, 600w psu and 8gb ram, the psu is very inefficient, but it should be strong enough, so I don't know if that could be the issue, since these crashes happen in very specific places.

You bought used RX 470 - this may be a problem. You don't know why someone sell it - maybe because it crash like that?

Try to underclock (core and memory - as far as you can - -400 and -500 for memory) GPU using MSI Afterburner. And check then.

9 minutes ago, Jakers038 said:

Then I tried Sniper ghost warrior 3 and it crashed several times in the very first mission, before the hardware even managed to warm up, I kept trying, but it crashed every time.

Same thing happened to me in Sniper Ghost Warrior. Was a game issue, not a hardware issue. I couldn't be bothered fixing it so I just played something else, so can't be of much more help than that...

11 minutes ago, Jakers038 said:

The other specs are i5 3450 cpu, 600w psu and 8gb ram, the psu is very inefficient, but it should be strong enough, so I don't know if that could be the issue, since these crashes happen in very specific places.

When you say it crashes, does the program stop responding (freeze), crash to desktop, or does the entire system just switch off unexpectedly?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

You bought used RX 470 - this may be a problem. You don't know why someone sell it - maybe because it crash like that?

Try to underclock (core and memory - as far as you can - -400 and -500 for memory) GPU using MSI Afterburner. And check then.

The thing that is bothering me is that it crashes only in these specific levels (sniper ghost warrior 3 intro level and BF V Tiger campaign), prior to the GPU even becoming warm, while more demanding games like Just Cause 3 and BF 1 on high settings run without any issues whatsoever during multi hour play sessions and I tried several benchmarks, the Afterburner bench for 20 minutes and yesterday the Unigine heaven or whatever it's called, I got decent FPS on extreme/ultra settings in it at 1680x1050 and no issues.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Same thing happened to me in Sniper Ghost Warrior. Was a game issue, not a hardware issue. I couldn't be bothered fixing it so I just played something else, so can't be of much more help than that...

When you say it crashes, does the program stop responding (freeze), crash to desktop, or does the entire system just switch off unexpectedly?

It shuts down in half a second like if it was a blackout and then it restarts.

57 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Did you tried updating your drivers? Remove your current ones with ddu and upgrade to newer ones, what your describing is something that can happen due to an issue with the drivers, it doesn't sound like a problem with the gpu at all so far, that is if the crashes are only game related and not that the whole os crashes/reboots.

I got the gpu in start of November I think, then I downloaded the standard (not the optional) driver, perhaps there's newer drivers released in the mean time, but it's a new-ish driver either way, but I will try installing the latest one.

Do you have an older graphics card you can use to test with? Try that and see if the system still shut downs unexpectedly.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As I said - at least try that underclocking. I had gpu once that runs games but crashes on stupid video, because of stupid factory oc (memory probably). So it's not surprising that it crashed on less demanding levels in your case. If you have vsync disabled, these less demanding levels gives you more fps.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Do you have an older graphics card you can use to test with? Try that and see if the system still shut downs unexpectedly.

Nope, but I did have a really weak Radeon 7730 2gb ddr3 that I had before this, I used it up to september I think and the drivers were more or less new at the time, but it was half the speed of even a GT 1030 and it was a ddr3 card, so not really comparable and I ran it on extremely low settings, but it did run Sniper ghost warrior 3, poorly,but I did pass a few hours and didn't have the crashing issue, however those settings were the lowest possible.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

As I said - at least try that underclocking. I had gpu once that runs games but crashes on stupid video, because of stupid factory oc (memory probably). So it's not surprising that it crashed on less demanding levels in your case. If you have vsync disabled, these less demanding levels gives you more fps.

I'll try, as for the vsync, I usually keep it on, since it's a relatively strong card, it achieves 60 on high settings in pretty much any game (at least with the resolutions I'm playing on) and there's some screen tearing, I never had screen tearing earlier since my last gpu could barely achieve 30 fps in most games, so I'm using vsync whenever I can, I'll try disabling it to see if that helps with the crashes, although I played JC3 for hours and days with it turned on, so that shouldn't be an issue

29 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Make sure to use DDU when uninstalling old drivers.

I use it all the time.