Overclock 60hz to 144fps with sync on zero tearing smooth gameplay

Turtle Rig

Hey guys so basically Ive not liked LCD tech compared to CRT as I am old skool and come from Tandy to Prodigy to AOL, to Win 3.1 to win 95 and win 98 and win 2000 .. One thing I remember vividly is how CRT there was no input lag and it was smooth as sarah hukabee sanders butt... lol,, anyhow.  I have always played with vsync on as I can not play choppy frame tearing nonsense.  Its unplayable but of course it will give you more then the 60hz or 60fps it will allow tearing to get to fps you want.  With vsync on it is smooth mouse ,, and graphics smooth, not tearing.  Now it came to a point where 60hz vsync on was pissing me off.  It had input lag and was blurry and jaded and just not the best experience compared to old CRT days, so I said to myself wtf can I do to make things better or my experience better..............

For nVidia cards only.

Ok, so I go to nv panel and I go to sync options on the bottom and put "Fast" instead of vsync on.  And I launched CS:GO and Quake Champions and both were now showing me high frame rates in triple digits however it was jerky and not smooth and sorta unplayable.  So my brain went into quick mode and I go hmmmmmm, let me go up top , where you changed the maximum frames pre rendered,, and I set that to 4 ,,, then I launched both games again and WOW it was now triple digits fps but now smooth as butter,, even better then having vsync on,, cuz there is zero and I say zero input lag.  It plays just like a 144hz would do.  But of course this is through software trick, its not actually physically OCed to 144hz, Anyhow,,,,  For those with a 60hz monitor.  Try the above and thank me later.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I'll have to try this with my old 60hz monitor and compare it to my 144hz panel.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Uh, You might wanna invest in an actual 144 hz display :P 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

8 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

Uh, You might wanna invest in an actual 144 hz display :P 

buttttttttttttttttterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Look guys Im trying to help out people with 60hz displays with this trick I found out about myself.  It works and people that aren't jerks will do it and reap the rewards and enjoy.. smooth gameplay at infinite fps and zero input lag.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

39 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Look guys Im trying to help out people with 60hz displays with this trick I found out about myself.  It works and people that aren't jerks will do it and reap the rewards and enjoy.. smooth gameplay at infinite fps and zero input lag.

Cheers for this, will give it a go because i'm too poor for 144...

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

57 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I'm quite curious to get it working on one of my 60hz monitors. Good thing I have a nvidia card

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Im enjoying CS:GO and Quake Champions, this has to be the best tweak in the history of tweaks... dating back to Dos days....

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

I'll have to try this with my old 60hz monitor and compare it to my 144hz panel.

Certainly something interesting. I'm currently home for the vacation, so I have a janky temp setup with a 60hz tv, unfortunately, can't tell much of a difference as the tv has some noticeable input lag so I can't really tell if it's tv or software induced. 

I wonder though (since I won't be able to use my 144hz monitor until next year), what if you compared the 144hz without the Nvidia settings to the 144hz monitor, but set it to 60hz + the settings. I mean, I know that it won't actually feel like a 144hz cause of monitor refresh rate limit, but I'm curious as to whether or not this can give the sensation that you're playing on something higher than 60hz. maybe 75hz or something? Not sure if what I said made sense... but idk xd. 

Just now, dwang040 said:

Certainly something interesting. I'm currently home for the vacation, so I have a janky temp setup with a 60hz tv, unfortunately, can't tell much of a difference as the tv has some noticeable input lag so I can't really tell if it's tv or software induced. 

I wonder though (since I won't be able to use my 144hz monitor until next year), what if you compared the 144hz without the Nvidia settings to the 144hz monitor, but set it to 60hz + the settings. I mean, I know that it won't actually feel like a 144hz cause of monitor refresh rate limit, but I'm curious as to whether or not this can give the sensation that you're playing on something higher than 60hz. maybe 75hz or something? Not sure if what I said made sense... but idk xd. 

It'll be a nice comparison but not the most accurate in terms of the average 60hz displays people have, since my Dell 1905FP 60hz monitor is 20ms compared to my Asus @ 144hz 1ms

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

It'll be a nice comparison but not the most accurate in terms of the average 60hz displays people have, since my Dell 1905FP 60hz monitor is 20ms compared to my Asus @ 144hz 1ms

Yeah, that's what I was wondering what if you tested that out on your 144hz monitor, but you just capped it at 60hz. Cause then, you would be able to test it on the same monitor with the same amount of input lag. 

1 minute ago, dwang040 said:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering what if you tested that out on your 144hz monitor, but you just capped it at 60hz. Cause then, you would be able to test it on the same monitor with the same amount of input lag. 

I could cap it at 60hz with nvidia, or better yet just bottleneck my monitor by using HDMI and introduce a new range of issues

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

7 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

This gives me the sensation Im on a 144hz display + Im not capped so it goes to 200fps in small rooms hehe.  Only set back will be your monitor latency.  Im 4ms ,, If you are 1ms then sh*T ,,,, your in for a treat less motion blur.  When I went from 28" 1ms to 4ms I noticed immedieately the motion blur, but this nv panel trick helps with blur as well.  :)

Should have made this thread in the nvidia section.

MOD ADMIN please : Move thread to nVidia section.

11 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

This gives me the sensation Im on a 144hz display + Im not capped so it goes to 200fps in small rooms hehe.  Only set back will be your monitor latency.  Im 4ms ,, If you are 1ms then sh*T ,,,, your in for a treat less motion blur.  When I went from 28" 1ms to 4ms I noticed immedieately the motion blur, but this nv panel trick helps with blur as well.  :)

While I don't know the exact latency for the specific tv I have, it is certainly very noticeable when compared to my daily driver, the 144hz 1ms monitor. While I personally may not benefit much from it because I also don't generally play with sync of any sort (oddly enough, I either don't have a lot of screen tearing or I'm moving around too much to actually see it), but it is something that would be interesting for other use cases and testing. For example, to those who may be playing with a 1440p or 4k monitor @ 60hz (For those pixel lovers like my friend who don't necessarily care about refresh rate), this could provide a sense of a smoother gameplay regardless of the monitor hardware limitation. 

11 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

While I don't know the exact latency for the specific tv I have, it is certainly very noticeable when compared to my daily driver, the 144hz 1ms monitor. While I personally may not benefit much from it because I also don't generally play with sync of any sort (oddly enough, I either don't have a lot of screen tearing or I'm moving around too much to actually see it), but it is something that would be interesting for other use cases and testing. For example, to those who may be playing with a 1440p or 4k monitor @ 60hz (For those pixel lovers like my friend who don't necessarily care about refresh rate), this could provide a sense of a smoother gameplay regardless of the monitor hardware limitation. 

This might just make your 144hz feel like a 240hz ......

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

This might just make your 144hz feel like a 240hz ......

will have to give that a try when i go back xd

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Hey guys so basically Ive not liked LCD tech compared to CRT as I am old skool and come from Tandy to Prodigy to AOL, to Win 3.1 to win 95 and win 98 and win 2000 .. One thing I remember vividly is how CRT there was no input lag and it was smooth as sarah hukabee sanders butt... lol,, anyhow.  I have always played with vsync on as I can not play choppy frame tearing nonsense.  Its unplayable but of course it will give you more then the 60hz or 60fps it will allow tearing to get to fps you want.  With vsync on it is smooth mouse ,, and graphics smooth, not tearing.  Now it came to a point where 60hz vsync on was pissing me off.  It had input lag and was blurry and jaded and just not the best experience compared to old CRT days, so I said to myself wtf can I do to make things better or my experience better..............

For nVidia cards only.

Ok, so I go to nv panel and I go to sync options on the bottom and put "Fast" instead of vsync on.  And I launched CS:GO and Quake Champions and both were now showing me high frame rates in triple digits however it was jerky and not smooth and sorta unplayable.  So my brain went into quick mode and I go hmmmmmm, let me go up top , where you changed the maximum frames pre rendered,, and I set that to 4 ,,, then I launched both games again and WOW it was now triple digits fps but now smooth as butter,, even better then having vsync on,, cuz there is zero and I say zero input lag.  It plays just like a 144hz would do.  But of course this is through software trick, its not actually physically OCed to 144hz, Anyhow,,,,  For those with a 60hz monitor.  Try the above and thank me later.

this is some wizard sh** my game feels sooooo much smoother! (Rainbow Six)

I think OP is confused at what Fast Sync and Pre-rendered Frames really do. They do not "overclock" the panel or offer adaptive syncing

Fast Sync requires that you maintain FPS at or above the refresh rate as it's a form of triple buffering. If you don't know what triple buffering is:

Spoiler

When a GPU renders a frame, it stores it somewhere in VRAM for the monitor to read from and display. This is called a frame buffer. Normally there are two buffers: one that the GPU is currently working on and one that the display reads from. When the GPU is done rendering a frame, it swaps the two buffers. If this happens before the next vertical blanking period of the monitor, it results in tearing.

VSync tries to resolve this by forcing the GPU to not swap the buffers until the next vertical blanking period. However, this causes the frame be behind (i.e., input lag). It also forces the frame rate to be the refresh rate or values that it can evenly divide to. So for 60 Hz, VSync forces the frame rate to be 60, 30, 15, etc.

Triple Buffering does away with this by adding another place to store where the GPU can render frames. This way, when the monitor wants to read data from the GPU, it locks one of the frame buffers and the GPU can go ahead and render on the other. When the monitor wants to read data again, it locks that one and the GPU swaps where it renders to again. The benefit here is that the GPU can render as fast as it wants but the monitor will always grab the last rendered frame.

You can read more about it at https://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

Maximum Pre-rendered Frames makes the CPU to buffer GPU command lists ahead of time. This allows the GPU to continue working even if the CPU is busy. However, this can introduce input lag because the information that the CPU buffered is in the past. If the option allowed you to say buffer 20 frames ahead and the CPU starts getting busy, you'll have 20 frames of stale information about the state of the game being presented to you until the CPU catches up.

EDIT: I also learned recently that in Windows 10, it forces universal triple buffering on all windows that are not fullscreen exclusive. I say universal because Fast Sync has a requirement of the frame rate needing to be at or above the refresh rate for the triple buffering effect to work. Windows does it no matter what. So you can avoid tearing anyway by playing in windowed or borderless windowed if you're fine with having a frame of input lag (that's the tradeoff).

Edited by M.Yurizaki

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think OP is confused at what Fast Sync and Pre-rendered Frames really do. They do not "overclock" the panel or offer adaptive syncing

Fast Sync requires that you maintain FPS at or above the refresh rate as it's a form of triple buffering. If you don't know what triple buffering is:

Reveal hidden contents

When a GPU renders a frame, it stores it somewhere in VRAM for the monitor to read from and display. This is called a frame buffer. Normally there are two buffers: one that the GPU is currently working on and one that the display reads from. When the GPU is done rendering a frame, it swaps the two buffers. If this happens before the next vertical blanking period of the monitor, it results in tearing.

VSync tries to resolve this by forcing the GPU to not swap the buffers until the next vertical blanking period. However, this causes the frame be behind (i.e., input lag). It also forces the frame rate to be the refresh rate or values that it can evenly divide to. So for 60 Hz, VSync forces the frame rate to be 60, 30, 15, etc.

Triple Buffering does away with this by adding another place to store where the GPU can render frames. This way, when the monitor wants to read data from the GPU, it locks one of the frame buffers and the GPU can go ahead and render on the other. When the monitor wants to read data again, it locks that one and the GPU swaps where it renders to again. The benefit here is that the GPU can render as fast as it wants but the monitor will always grab the last rendered frame.

You can read more about it at https://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

Maximum Pre-rendered Frames makes the CPU to buffer GPU command lists ahead of time. This allows the GPU to continue working even if the CPU is busy. However, this can introduce input lag because the information that the CPU buffered is in the past. If the option allowed you to say buffer 20 frames ahead and the CPU starts getting busy, you'll have 20 frames of stale information about the state of the game being presented to you until the CPU catches up.

EDIT: I also learned recently that in Windows 10, it forces universal triple buffering on all windows that are not fullscreen exclusive. I say universal because Fast Sync has a requirement of the frame rate needing to be at or above the refresh rate for the triple buffering effect to work. Windows does it no matter what. So you can avoid tearing anyway by playing in windowed or borderless windowed if you're fine with having a frame of input lag (that's the tradeoff).

I know they dont overclock,,,,, I just say it as general statement,, I know the physical monitor doesnt OC < and if you look at its cpanel it says 60hz ,, this just makes things smooth for any hz machine,,,,thats all.

Were not hear to discuss what it is,, yes its not a OC , thats what I call it thats all.  Whoever does it is smart, whoever doesnt do it which I know none of you had your pre rendered frames set to 4 .............. I know what it does I dont need explanation nvpanel says what it does....... I know what it does............... apparently none of you have put it on FAST SYNC + 4 ,,,,, pre rendered frames........  Thank you