Best CPU for Cities Skyline

L2theb

Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade my PC in the near future and I like to know what properties of a new CPU I should look for.

Cities Skyline is a high CPU and RAM demanding game. I would love to build cities bigger than 100k residents. This is about the mark my current PC reaches its limit and the game becomes unplayable.
Can you guys estimate, what is more imprtant for this task? Clock speed, quantity of cores or something else?

Thanks!

I'd put my money on core count for CPU-intensive games.

Probably shoot for a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 depending on your budget.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

IPC seems to matter greatly in Cities. I've tested this in the past on 2x Xeon E5462, i7-4960X and 5GHz i5-2500K. It ran the best by far on the i5. That was a few years back though. Based on my experience, I'd jump for a 9600K probably, although for longevity's sake, the 8700K or 9700K would be better bets. 

I'll have to try on my R7 2700X. Haven't played cities in like forever.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd put my money on core count for CPU-intensive games.

Probably shoot for a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 depending on your budget.

Lemme check but I wanna say city skylines is more freq dependent, I vaguely remember it using only like 2 cores...

Just now, ThatBlockishWay said:

Lemme check but I wanna say city skylines is more freq dependent, I vaguely remember it using only like 2 cores...

Usually the more cores you have, the better CPU intensive games will run.

They Are Billions is CPU-intensive, my laptop has a 2.4Ghz hyperthreaded dual core and struggles a bit in the bigger waves, but my Ryzen 5 1600 in my desktop does just fine, chugs straight through everything without a problem.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

I would go with a Ryzen 5. Good mix of core, clock speed and price.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

level 1
Programmer at Colossal Order - Cities Skylines215 points·3 years ago·edited 3 years ago

The game is best optimized for a 4 cores CPU (being the most mainstream and quite fitted to our simulation needs), we have the main thread, audio, pathfinding, simulation & water flow. Unity does under the hood also use threads quite heavily (main and rendering) and we do use some extra worker thread during the loading/saving process, so 8 cores should yield a noticeable performance improvement but it will not be in the 2x faster figures.

It looks like City skylines is a quad core game, so freq would prob help more

Edit: think my link sucked, dunno why it went somewhere else

Cities likes high IPC, high freq, and more cores.

It one of the few games I'm aware that really benefits from all three.

Though, it mostly optimized for four cores, but it will use past four if avaiable.

Biggiest deal, no matter how good the CPU, once the city gets really big, the FPS will tank.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I remember this game using 3-4 cores, at current prices the 9600k is the best deal

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Usually the more cores you have, the better CPU intensive games will run.

They Are Billions is CPU-intensive, my laptop has a 2.4Ghz hyperthreaded dual core and struggles a bit in the bigger waves, but my Ryzen 5 1600 in my desktop does just fine, chugs straight through everything without a problem.

Yeah, but your 2.4Ghz dual core is slower than your 1600 at baseclock or turbo so that doesn't really seem a valid comparison. 

Also, like I mentioned I tested a dual Xeon, single i7 hex core 4960X and quad core i5 2500K at 5GHz and the i5 was by far the fastest.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Also, like I mentioned I tested a dual Xeon, single i7 hex core 4960X and quad core i5 2500K at 5GHz and the i5 was by far the fastest.

Well that kind of stands to reason, the i5 was at 5Ghz.

If they were all at stock speeds, then I'd imagine it would be a bit of a draw between the two Xeons and the 4960X.

I'd still shoot for Ryzen 5 though, as they are basically the best value chips on the market currently. Excellent balance of price and performance.

I do realize it's not a direct comparison, but I will probably send you a message when I get around to testing my 1600 at 2.4Ghz.

Beam.NG Drive is a very CPU intensive game since its real simulation. Core count benefits most here.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

15 minutes ago, L2theb said:

Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade my PC in the near future and I like to know what properties of a new CPU I should look for.

Cities Skyline is a high CPU and RAM demanding game. I would love to build cities bigger than 100k residents. This is about the mark my current PC reaches its limit and the game becomes unplayable.
Can you guys estimate, what is more imprtant for this task? Clock speed, quantity of cores or something else?

Thanks!

What motherboard socket/chipset are you on and what's your budget? if youre already on AM4/LGA 1151 theres not much point for switching sockets just for a little bit more preformance (they're both solid sockets), otherwise it may be different

Thank you so much so far!

Currently I have a i5 4690K.

If necessary, I am willing to get a new motherboard.

2 minutes ago, L2theb said:

Are you just trying to get better performance or generally trying to upgrade? You can prob oc abit and be fine for a bit

5 minutes ago, L2theb said:

If you have a Z87 or Z97 board, just apply an overclock. 4.3-4.5GHz should be doable if you have at least a tiny bit of luck.

Cities Skylines? As someone who plays that, I'd recommend getting four 2000$ server CPUs, 1.5TB of RAM and 12 2080 Ti's and you might be able to run 2 mods at once.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

8 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Cities Skylines? As someone who plays that, I'd recommend getting four 2000$ server CPUs, 1.5TB of RAM and 12 2080 Ti's and you might be able to run 2 mods at once.

Scrub. 4 Xeon platinum 8180s will smoke that. Only 40 grand for those alone. Peanuts.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Scrub. 4 Xeon platinum 8180s will smoke that. Only 40 grand for those alone. Peanuts.

Those might be able to run THREE mods, but it probably won't go beyond 10fps, and you'd have to add in 12 more 2080 Ti's and 4TB more RAM.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Those might be able to run THREE mods, but it probably won't go beyond 10fps, and you'd have to add in 12 more 2080 Ti's and 4TB more RAM.

Shiiiieeeet son. 3 mods!? U crazy.

44 minutes ago, L2theb said:

Check your mobo chipset, if you dont know offhand you can probably fairly easily find a model number or something and google that

1 minute ago, L2theb said:

it is a Z97

Try OCing it if you're just trying to get better performance, assuming you haven't already, alot of new chips are about to launch so if you can OC and be fine on performance it may be worth waiting. If not new stuff always comes out so it's not a terrible choice to upgrade now, assuming it's still not performing at an acceptable level

2 hours ago, ThatBlockishWay said:

Try OCing it if you're just trying to get better performance, assuming you haven't already, alot of new chips are about to launch so if you can OC and be fine on performance it may be worth waiting. If not new stuff always comes out so it's not a terrible choice to upgrade now, assuming it's still not performing at an acceptable level

Agreed, if the game really only takes advantage of 4 cores then the 4690K overclocked to say, 4.5GHz, wouldn't be too far off your modern 8th/9th gen i5s and i7s. Sure, you can overclock those CPUs too, to around 5.0GHz, and they are a bit faster per clock, but its still probably not worth the expense IMO. We're talking about hundreds of dollars for a small 20% improvement...

EDIT - Just stumbled across this comparison, the game definitely doesn't seem to scale much beyond 4 cores since the 6600K (4C/4T like your 4690K) outperforms the Ryzen 1700X, an 8C/16T CPU: 

Definitive proof that the game doesn't really scale beyond 4 cores:

Thank you guys! You've been very helpful.

Now I know what to look for. I may even try overclocking