Noob with questions - middle aged guy wanting to start

kf6vci

What's up, everybody?

Bought a PS2 Slim and some games. Then I read how cheap XBOX 360 games are. Bought some of those and now need the console.

Q:The Slim is the most reliable, isn't it?

Q: can I put in a SSD? 

Cheers,

Chris

Any versions other than the original 360 are fairly reliable. No you can't put in an SSD

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Yeah the original Xbox 360 is pretty crap in terms of reliability so I would probably opt for the slim. 

You want either the Slim or the E-model of the 360 (the E-model is the one that looks like the original XBox One). Do not under any circumstance buy one of the white 360s. There are a couple of the white models that are ok but the earlier models are ticking time bombs with horrendous failure rates, and the Slims and E-models actually have reasonably sized hard drives. And you definitely want to install your disc games to the hard drive to limit wear and tear on the DVD drive, because that fails a lot too. Mainly from this one band in the drive that can be cleaned but is kind of a pain to remove and especially to re-insert. I'd also recommend getting the stuff you're interested in on 360 quickly, as 360 game prices bottomed out maybe a year ago and are on a slow trajectory upwards now. But thankfully that trend is still very early on so 360 game prices are still highly affordable. Though XBox One backwards compatibility for many top 360 games does boost their price a bit too. The 360 is a great console as long as you don't have one of the timebomb white ones, and runs most multiplatform games from that generation a lot better than the PS3.

10 hours ago, kf6vci said:
  1. Q:The Slim is the most reliable, isn't it?
  2. Q: can I put in a SSD? 
  1. Most, no idea but more.
  2. No, you can't. You need to hack the HDD if you want to replace it. And for that you need some certain ones (mostly WD).

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You want either the Slim or the E-model of the 360 (the E-model is the one that looks like the original XBox One).

The E-Model is newer but has some connections removed. If you want to connect a Stereo to the console or use other analogue connections, you can't easily.

and the Slims and E-models actually have reasonably sized hard drives.

öhm, no.

There is a crap version of the Slim that comes without Harddrive.

BUT: I'd recommend it and get an external HDD Case.

Because then you have both, the Internal 4GB Memory and the internal HDD, though you should get a HDD Case for like 10€ or so.

So that gives you MORE SAVEGAMES!!111

Or you could use a USB Stick as well...

And you definitely want to install your disc games to the hard drive to limit wear and tear on the DVD drive,

...and the Performance improvement...

A HDD has like <10ms Access time, an optical drive has like 50-100ms or more.

And the Transferrate is higher as well. So there's no reason to not install it.

I'd also recommend getting the stuff you're interested in on 360 quickly, as 360 game prices bottomed out maybe a year ago and are on a slow trajectory upwards now. But thankfully that trend is still very early on so 360 game prices are still highly affordable.

Or you buy it electronically in the M$ Store...

Had to do that for some PS3 games, wich I mostly buy online as well because its cheaper...

Especially when they are on sale (not anymore or very rarely it seems, wich sucks)...

Though XBox One backwards compatibility for many top 360 games does boost their price a bit too.

Well, there are some, not too many...

And a 360 is highly recommended, even if you have a one...

The 360 is a great console as long as you don't have one of the timebomb white ones, and runs most multiplatform games from that generation a lot better than the PS3.

Yeah, absolutely.

PS3 is only recommended for exclusives that aren't available on PC or 360...

Some don't run very well on PS3 - like Red Dead Redemption (Stuck at the Racing shit thingy)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"