Is there any downside to using liquid metal for cooling

Go to solution Solved by XR6,
4 minutes ago, chedd said:

Ok, thanks so I think thermal paste would be better in my case since I'm a beginner and I've also only built 1 system before. Do you have any recommendation for good thermal paste?

Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut and Arctic Silver 5 are pretty good. 

As the title states, I'm trying to find if there are any downsides to using liquid metal cooling. I'm planning on buying an I7 9700k and OC it with custom water cooling, but so I don't waste money I am trying to figure out what to use for

"Thermal paste".

Potential that if you apply too much and a drop comes out of the side it will fall on something important and kill your PC.

Also apparently it needs to be reapplied every year or so if it dries out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Potential that if you apply too much and a drop comes out of the side it will fall on something important and kill your PC.

I've also heard that you'll be a lot cooler with heavy metal, or even death metal.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you don't mind changing it annually and taking the risk of a leak killing your components then yeah it's fine but if you don't want that then just get a good quality thermal paste.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ok, thanks so I think thermal paste would be better in my case since I'm a beginner and I've also only built 1 system before. Do you have any recommendation for good thermal paste?

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There is also risk of seepage as it is a liquid, thereby it can leak out regardless of whether you applied to much or not, .

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, chedd said:

This is your 2nd system and you're going for a full custom loop and a 9700k? That's not an issue I just hope you know what you're doing because custom loops are a pain in the ass to install and can ruin your PC if not installed correctly. 

So do you guys have any suggestions for good thermal paste "no restriction on cash I just want the best so that I can get good thermals when OC"

Just now, chedd said:

Another thing worth considering is a graphite thermal pad, it is reusable, never needs to be replaced, and perform almost as well if not as equivalent to most high grade thermal pastes. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

4 minutes ago, chedd said:

Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut and Arctic Silver 5 are pretty good. 

Just now, 1kv said:

This is your 2nd system and you're going for a full custom loop and a 9700k? That's not an issue I just hope you know what you're doing because custom loops are a pain in the ass to install and can ruin your PC if not installed correctly. 

I've watched lots of build guides and I'm using an EK custom loop that I have seen one of my friends use, I'm hoping he might land a hand if I run into any problem. So I think its gonna go alright

So do you guys have any suggestions for good thermal paste "no restriction on cash I just want the best so that I can get good thermals when OC"

IC Diamond 24 Carat thermal paste.

Just now, chedd said:

I've watched lots of build guides and I'm using an EK custom loop that I have seen one of my friends use, I'm hoping he might land a hand if I run into any problem. So I think its gonna go alright

That sounds good to me, you seem like you've been doing your research so I can see it going alright. 

I've heard that it scratches the cpu's heatsink.

It does to some extent as it includes synthetic diamonds for efficient thermal conductivity. 

Ok well thank you all for your replies, I think that il probably use Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut.

16 minutes ago, chedd said:

MX-4

NT-H1 or IC-diamond are good too though.

15 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

There is also risk of seepage as it is a liquid, thereby it can leak out regardless of whether you applied to much or not, .

The amount of space between a CPU and heatsink when properly mounted is a fraction of a micron.

The surface tension of the fluid makes it impossible for it to "seep out" due to gravity.

The only time it will seep out is when the heatsink is initially being mounted, when it will squeeze out all the excess.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Get the 1 oz syringe, that can cover the cpu 2-3 times.  It doesn't store well once opened. It'll be better to get another another 1 oz application 12 months down the road.

Just now, JammyCreedog said:

Get the 1 oz syringe, that can cover the cpu 2-3 times.  It doesn't store well once opened. It'll be better to get another another 1 oz application 12 months down the road.

I think that applying thermal paste once for it to last a couple of years is more worth it for the marginal performance and dangers of liquid metal cooling.

Agreed, I have only ever seen ppl use liquid metal under the heatsink after delidding too.

Are you going hard line or soft tubing for your loop?  It is okay to run a mixture of the two or just doing soft to make it easier to service components and when upgrading.

Just now, JammyCreedog said:

Agreed, I have only ever seen ppl use liquid metal under the heatsink after delidding too.

Are you going hard line or soft tubing for your loop?  It is okay to run a mixture of the two or just doing soft to make it easier to service components and when upgrading.

Think going for a soft loop since I'm not that familiar with custom loops.

16 hours ago, JammyCreedog said:

Cool, are you thinking about piecing together all the parts separately or getting a kit like This ?

Id like to get the parts separately but still cheap like 200-400$ from Ek so prob some of their aluminium products.

Cpu block, pump/reservoir combo, radiator, tubing and then fans will take you close to if not over $200.  That is a cpu only loop, full cover gpu block will be another $150 by itself.  Add in all the fittings and plugs and you'll certainly be at $400. Just be sure you know what you're getting into, custom loops require much more maintenance than an aio.