Chromium powered Edge is also coming to macOS and Windows 7

AlTech
On 12/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, firelighter487 said:

linux users always get left behind...

*cries* i'm one of them... 

but why would you want to use this over google chrome or firefox

5 minutes ago, a7mddiaa said:

but why would you want to use this over google chrome or firefox

because firefox is slow and laggy, and chrome isn't perfect either. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

because firefox is slow and laggy, and chrome isn't perfect either. 

lol and Microsoft would make the perfect browser XD 

Just now, a7mddiaa said:

lol and Microsoft would make the perfect browser XD 

call me insane, i prefer Edge's UI over chrome's... if Edge uses chrome's rendering engine i'll switch over immediately. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

because firefox is slow and laggy

Interesting, I'll concede it uses a lot of RAM but I find Firefox to be much more responsive than Chrome.

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

Interesting, I'll concede it uses a lot of RAM but I find Firefox to be much more responsive than Chrome.

site's always take longer to load for me... although it has been a while since i used firefox as my main browser so that might have changed.. 

She/Her

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

site's always take longer to load for me... although it has been a while since i used firefox as my main browser so that might have changed.. 

Can confirm it hasn't

🙂

24 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Can confirm it hasn't

35 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Have you actually done benchmarks on a clean install? I find it hard to believe that Chrome loads pages faster than Firefox. Especially not since I don't notice a difference, and all the benchmarks I have seen (although I stopped following them a few years ago) showed that they were neck and neck.

I find that a lot of times when people say something is faster it can often be explained by:

1) They use program A more often, and therefore it has things cached.

2) Things like Windows SuperFetch being tailored to favor a specific program over the other.

3) Things like in Chrome where it preloads websites.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Have you actually done benchmarks on a clean install? I find it hard to believe that Chrome loads pages faster than Firefox. Especially not since I don't notice a difference, and all the benchmarks I have seen (although I stopped following them a few years ago) showed that they were neck and neck.

I find that a lot of times when people say something is faster it can often be explained by:

2) Things like Windows SuperFetch being tailored to favor a specific program over the other.

Being a frequent user of Brave and Firefox, I would say that Firefox *FEELS* slower even though it's probably the same. 

It probably feels slower because of the animation used in firefox for loading a page.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I have done comparisons myself, on pages with a common amount of Javascript pages, Firefox lagged behind Chrome, some interactions taking sometimes more than 1 second on Firefox than on Chrome

🙂

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

i'm just talking from past experiences, on relatively low end hardware (3th gen dual-core i5) when i used firefox in the past. it might be better now, but i haven't tried it since. 

when i used it though i used it as my main browser, so it had all the same tabs and stuff open that i normally have in chrome. 

She/Her

You guys need to checkout Vivaldi. I switched my main desktop and work computer to it about two months ago after hearing about it and trying it out, and I freaking love it. Good bye Firefox  :( 

https://vivaldi.com

(I secretly still want people to use firefox though so chromium doesn't dictate the entire internet by themselves. Not sure that would be healthy for us users)

11 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

You guys need to checkout Vivaldi.

I've tried it. It was only good for LTT.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

31 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

You guys need to checkout Vivaldi. I switched my main desktop and work computer to it about two months ago after hearing about it and trying it out, and I freaking love it. Good bye Firefox  :( 

https://vivaldi.com

(I secretly still want people to use firefox though so chromium doesn't dictate the entire internet by themselves. Not sure that would be healthy for us users)

Vivaldi is based on Chromium also...

🙂

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

Vivaldi is based on Chromium also...

That's why I want people to still use firefox though, but I like LTT community enough I decided to tell about Vivaldi...

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

I've tried it. It was only good for LTT.

Curious what you didn't like about it? 

13 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

Curious what you didn't like about it? 

Performance and UI.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Performance and UI.

Performance could be desired I agree but it isn't bad and if you have a fast machine not very noticeable. UI is great however and lets you customize it a lot! Most customizable browser ever while being very intuitive. The red browser logo is my only grip with the UI. I've only been on it since the 2.0 release and performance I think got improved greatly with that so maybe worth a 2nd chance :)

1 minute ago, Orcblood said:

Performance could be desired I agree but it isn't bad and if you have a fast machine not very noticeable. UI is great however and lets you customize it a lot! Most customization browser ever while being very intuitive. The red browser logo is my only grip with the UI. I've only been on it since the 2.0 release and performance I think got improved greatly with that so maybe worth a 2nd chance :)

I couldn't find any meaningful customization options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:41 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Having it on macOS would certainly help in the software integration department, but it’s a far cry from Safari or Chrome. 

If it's using chromium you get access to all the chrome store extensions, so really all you have to pick is whether you want your browser data being sent to Google or Microsoft.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

call me insane, i prefer Edge's UI over chrome's... if Edge uses chrome's rendering engine i'll switch over immediately. 

I actually like Edge's UI too. I used to prefer it to Chrome pre-update, but i like Chrome's new UI a little more than Edge's

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

16 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I actually like Edge's UI too. I used to prefer it to Chrome pre-update, but i like Chrome's new UI a little more than Edge's

i hate the new chrome look... 

She/Her

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What browser do you currently use?

Mix between Safari, Edge, Firefox on desktop. Chrome on mobile only for the fact that Edge randomly started crashing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Mix between Safari, Edge, Firefox on desktop. Chrome on mobile only for the fact that Edge randomly started crashing. 

Vivaldi shouldn't perform any worse than those.

Vivaldi uses Blink and V8 as its engines. Same as Chrome.

How did you measure performance?