Why did you buy an iPhone?

LinusTech

I have an iPhone SE, the 128gb model.

1- Size, it was pretty much a no brainer since i was looking for a small, fast phone;

2- Price, in my range and just a better deal in comparison with the other models at the day i looked;

3- Try  something different, because before it i only had Androids and BlackBerrys, i wanted to check out why so many people liked it;

4- Camera, its great for me and really easy to just point and shoot, its hard not to get a good shot with it.

I think that's it.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

7 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

So you're using an iPhone 4S, release in 2011 and which you can buy for around $50.

So for context at that time we had Android phones like:

• HTC Thunderbolt
  • Motorola Atrix
  • Samsung Galaxy s 4G
  • Google Nexus S
  • Motorola Droid X
  • HTC Inspire

I'd argue nearly all of those phones are pretty unusable these days and most $50 dollar Android phones would not be a functional as an iPhone 4S. This longevity of the iPhone is why I bought one. This proves it for me again.

I got this 4S when it was already a few years old, I did get it for free after all.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Personally I use it because it is genuinely fantastic for staying connected as a family.

We have our phones all set up to have a family sharing plan which means any app or song or movie anyone buys is available to download on anyone who is in the family's device.

I also enjoy how much power it has for many different tasks. Gaming especially, despite how I am still salty about them removing Doom, there are so many great games exclusive to it. For example; XCOM Enemy Within and The Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

I'm currently using an iPhone 7, prior to this phone i had an iPhone 5.  The reason i upgraded from the 5 to the 7 was because i wanted an Apple Watch and apparently it couldn't link up with a base iPhone 5, had it worked with the watch i'd still be using my 5.  I'm not one of these people that wants a new phone every 1-2 years, i buy my phones outright and use them until they die which is usually 4-5 years, prior to my iPhones i used Nokia exclusively and i think the reason i stick with one brand or the other for long stretches has less to do with brand loyalty and more to do with continuity and familiarity. 

I like that when my 7 slows down or dies i can buy an iPhone 12 or whatever number they're up to, sign into my Apple account and all of my apps, settings etc are all downloaded and set up exactly how i had them on my previous phone. 

Hope these answers helped. 

I have the iPhone 6s 128GB model. I purchased it around 2 years ago this upcoming November.

I used to be a die hard Windows Mobile user. I used WM 6.5 (LG IQ - The "Expo" in the US), Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD 7), and Windows Phone 8/8.1/10 (Nokia Lumia 830). Windows Mobile 6.5 was garbage. When WM was originally introduced, people were still using palm pilots, but they stagnated and never updated. Windows Phone 7 was a huge step forward, and so was 8, and so was 10. But 10 was buggy and the app problem got worse and worse.

So I decided to leave the ecosystem and try something new.

I did consider Android, but decided to go with iOS for a number of reasons:

1. Updates - this is the big one. I can buy a 2 year old phone and still be guaranteed 2+ years of updates. The 6s came out in 2015, and it has the latest iOS 12, 3 years later (though who knows if it'll get iOS 13).

2. Security - Apple takes security pretty seriously, with things like the secure enclave, and pushing out security patches quickly

3. Stability - every OS gets bugs, but iOS tends to run very well, very smoothly, with very few annoying bugs

4. Lack of fragmentation - this is what mostly drove me away from Android. To get a non fragmented experience, I basically had to buy a Google Pixel.

5. Backups and transferring to a new iPhone - iCloud makes things pretty seamless.

Why did I choose the 6s specifically?

1. Size - the older 5s/SE devices are too small, but the 6s Plus is too large

2. Power - despite being a year old when I bought it, it was still kickass and powerful

3. Headphone jack - the iPhone 7 had been released by this point, but I decided I wanted that pesky headphone jack

iOS is not perfect. Neither are the various iPhones out there. But it's a pretty damn good system, and honestly I feel like Android gets overrated vastly on these forums.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I prefer android, but I do see some pretty big pluses of owning an iPhone. I think its great how Apple develops their own CPUs and GPUs for the iphones, making them a lot faster. I would buy an iPhone, but I have pretty big hands so an iPhone doesn't fit too well. Also, if I'm gonna spend that much money I'd rather have a huawei mate 20 pro. 

Thats just me though, I don't hate iPhones like some android users do.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

17 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I prefer android, but I do see some pretty big pluses of owning an iPhone. I think its great how Apple develops their own CPUs and GPUs for the iphones, making them a lot faster. I would buy an iPhone, but I have pretty big hands so an iPhone doesn't fit too well. Also, if I'm gonna spend that much money I'd rather have a huawei mate 20 pro. 

Thats just me though, I don't hate iPhones like some android users do.

To be fair, the iPhone Xs Max is actually of similar size to the Mate 20 Pro - a bit larger even. Though all previous iPhones (even the larger Plus size) were noticeably smaller.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To be fair, the iPhone Xs Max is actually of similar size to the Mate 20 Pro - a bit larger even. Though all previous iPhones (even the larger Plus size) were noticeably smaller.

Yeah, it is. I meant more of the iphone xr's and iphone 8's (non-plus versions). If i'm paying $1k+ for a phone I'd rather go with huawei. If i didn't already have a huawei phone I'd probably find myself buying an iphone XR, man those colors!

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Because I believe Apple offers hardware and software that better suite my needs. Simple really. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

*is astounded that @DrMacintosh was not automatically summoned

Dude it's only like 9 AM in California... give the man time to wakeup first! xD

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Because I believe Apple offers hardware and software that better suite my needs. Simple really. 

immediate response to the summoning, knew it

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Dude it's only like 9 AM in California... give the man time to wakeup first! xD

good point i'm on the east coast, didn't think about that

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Even though Linus said he doesn't want to hear Android opinions, but I'm still going to give one. I'm currently an Android user, but I'm more and more gravitating towards iPhone in the future because of privacy concerns. Reason for this is loss of pretty much all trust in Google. Their business practices are terrible and the way they behave on a corporate level is just terrifying for a company that basically holds all our data in their hands. Apple may not be perfect in this regard either, but they do have a better track record in this department as they don't live of selling our data, but they earn money by actually selling products. Major issue is the price of Apple devices however. 800€ iPhones were expensive. But the most basic XS with only 64GB storage going for 1200€ in my country is a bit much given I usually pay up to 300-350€ for my smartphones (usually last year flagships). There are no other alternatives to Android that aren't crappy half-smartphone meant for developing countries running Tizen or something similar which sucks.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

iOS is not perfect. Neither are the various iPhones out there. But it's a pretty damn good system, and honestly I feel like Android gets overrated vastly on these forums.

I felt that this is the only time / thread that we can give apple some praises and not get trashed on at this forum.

thanks @LinusTech...

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I decided to give Apple a shot after having a GREAT Android experience with the HTC One M8 (despite the few issues it had just before the transition, but I can't blame it for that seeing as it basically turned 4 years old then). I bought an SE brand new 5 months ago (I knew I wasn't getting the absolute best, but I didn't really care about it), and despite some shortcomings that Android is known to have alleviated (the ability to browse files on your own device, not having to deal with iTunes when importing music over, more hotspot flexibility etc.) it has been a great experience. The look and feel of iOS, as well as much more consistent efficiency and battery life, it all screams "good quality".

An actual reason I bought an iPhone was for integration between my Mac and my iPhone. Universal copy paste, handoff, and Airdrop all dramatically improve workflow and convenience. 

Also I kinda got stuck in the ecosystem from when I was one of the “cool kids” with an iPod Touch 4th gen. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

This is going to sound really stupid, but, I drive a 2016 Chevy Silverado and I wanted to play Soundcloud through the radio because I can't get access to foreign music on Pandora. So, I tested my buddy's iPhone 7 and the software sync'd up perfectly to my radio, unlike my Samsung S7 where I had to download a special app, even with the app from Android, SoundCloud wasn't usable. So, I upgraded to an iPhone X and it works as intended. 

to be like Techrax

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

On 10/17/2018 at 1:09 AM, kokakolia said:

Honestly, yeah! Because the hardware on iPhones is nothing special. Well, the Apple SoCs are the best in the market but it’s not like the Snapdragon 835 or 845 are slouches either. Other phones have better screens, cameras and speakers. It’s like the only selling feature of an iPhone is iOS. 

Yes it might be true, Ios is smooth af but Android aren't awful tbh.

We can customize it to whatever we like and it has back button thats easy to find and press.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

8 hours ago, Ya_Mi said:

We can customize it to whatever we like and it has back button thats easy to find and press.

Nova Launcher is a very useful tool when using my Android and I do miss that control that it offered.

On 10/18/2018 at 1:51 AM, dalekphalm said:

I used to be a die hard Windows Mobile user.

Don't hear of too many of them, I'm sorry for your loss...we hardly knew Windows Mobile ?

I am an iPhone 8 user

I prefer it because

1. The iPhone 8 has big bezels, which I can use to hold it
  2. Security
  3. iTunes on my PC

PC specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 4GB OC

RAM: Team Group T-Force Delta 16GB DDR4-3200

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H

SSD: Crucial P5 1TB 

HDD: WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 2TB

I still currently own an iPhone 7 256GB (The difference is price is such that its worth paying the extra - even though I don't need it). 

1) iCloud Integration, and Continuity/Handoff.

Especially messages is so handy, I can take calls and texts from my MacBook and all my files sync in real time. I think many people underestimate how great it actually is, although I haven't had an Android in a while. So many people talk about the Mac ecosystem - iMessage/FaceTime, It means I can keep in touch with my family anywhere, for free, which is so important - even If I lose my phone, and If I do it's no worries with Find My iPhone.

2) Convenience.

When I want a photo, It's just one swipe, when I want to see that photo, it's already on my MacBook when I get home - or I can AirDrop it easily. Sending files over the network is so finicky with an Android and PC. When I want an App, it's all laid out in a manner for me thats very intuitive and I can use it very easily. Having a simple phone is what I need, when people say Android is complex and you can customise it - thats not for me. I just want a phone that works and does what I want when I want it. 

3) Toughness. 

Apple's iPhone faces the toughest scrutiny of all the phones, mainly due to their reputation and price. They live up to it however, my sister dropped her iPhone 6 from a rollercoaster going 200km/h down around 200m - not a joke, and (It was in a case - but still impressive) just picked it up like nothing happened. iPhones have always had Gorilla Glass and are pretty solid phones -  Bendgate being the exception. They have toughed up over the years too. I work outdoors a lot, and go to the gym a lot. I need a tough phone. 

4) Service

I've head the things people have had to put up with, especially from you Linus and Rossman - but I've never had that experience so I can't say bad things! When I broke my phone beyond repair they offered a replacement for a 1/3 of the price, for a new phone! $400AU instead of $1399. They didn't even make my 7 anymore, and I was greeted with a new one complete with free 2-year warranty in an hour - they shipped it in right there and then! Coming from NZ we don't get that service anywhere. Story was much the same when my MacBook Pro keyboard broke. New Keyboard in 3 days no questions asked and all under warranty. 

5) Connectivity

I have a CarPlay only head unit - so if I want that feature I need an iPhone. I like my music in my car without 3.5" connectivity which degrades somewhat compared to USB CarPlay. My Family also all have MacBooks and iPads/iPhone etc, so if I want to stay in touch with iMessage/FaceTime I'm locked in. We also have HomeKit all setup and Apple TVs. They all work flawlessly with our devices and with out Netgear Routers. I just don't know how I would go about setting up an Android with it. 

6) Design

They do look very nice as far as phones go! They don't look cheap and I like it. The new iPhone models look absolutely stunning. It's pretty subjective but they have nice materials, great screens and, maybe could look better with a few tweaks, but honestly my 7 still looks great compared to today's models. 

7) Support

These details are going to look a bit slack, because I'd just be repeating myself ;). Even today I just don't see any reason to upgrade from my 7. I'm going to use it till it breaks or it runs out of support in still a few years, which being in a lifetime case - the latter will be true. I've just been needing to upgrade my watch, which I might even wait for the Apple Watch 5/6 and I still have the original. Everything still works flawlessly and fast - especially with iOS12. 

I was seriously considering moving to the OnePlus 6, when I saw the costs of the new iPhones. I upgraded from a iPhone 7 Plus.  When I got to the shop, I was playing with the Android phones and was instantly reminded why I never switched back, since testing the iPhone the first time. The reasons why I chose to spend my money on an iPhone again:

1. Smooth OS

2. New OS available to everyone, from launch

3. Everything just works out of the box

4. Easiest phone switch experience

5. I am happy with the camera

6. One of the best sounding speakers on a phone (See video from UT)

7. Bragging rights. :-P 

I went for the iPhone Xs Max, because I wanted the bigger screen.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:15 AM, seoz said:

Android was far too fragmented with the software updates

could you explain this to me? I don't see the appeal of software updates.