Corsair SF600...X99 and Mini Itx 8700K rigs doubts...

LJA

Hi, I'm right now deciding if leaving my X99 Rig and move to a mini itx one, more than probably with an I7 8700K. In the meantime  I've already bought a Corsair SF600 and while I see if I make the change, I was planning on selling my Seasonic 850W Gold Plus and use the Corsair (with an ATX adaptor) with my current X99 rig (for reference my signature). But now I have doubts that not only in the meantime the Corsair might not handle my X99/Xeon Rig, but also that maybe it would not handle my probably future mini itx one with my current components (+ more than probably another SSD) and the 8700K instead of the more cores but low TDP Xeon I have...

...what do you think? I've already have both PSUs but I really need that extra bucks that would give me selling the Seasonic. Thanks in advance!

Lian Li TU150x - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax - Ryzen 9 3900x - Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 - Asrock RX6800 Ref. Design - Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 32GB - Patriot Burst SATA 240GB - AORUS NVMe Gen4 2TB - PNY CS3030 NVMe Gen3 2TB - Corsair SF750 - Redragon Vishnu K596 - Logitech G604 - Samsung UJ590 32" - Huion GT 221 Pro - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Yamaha HS5

600W is plenty for a single GPU system, with a decent head room for overclocking the CPU or GPU. But since it will be a mini itx build, you really shouldn't overclock anything unless you plan on grilling burgers on top of your gpu or something as for there is not enough space for heat to exhaust if you overclock. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

You'll be fine. My mITX rig handles a 5.2GHz OC'd 8700K and OC'd STRIX GTX 1080 24/7. Same PSU.

You're fine.  You do realize the Corsair One system also uses an SF600, right? 

36 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

600W is plenty for a single GPU system, with a decent head room for overclocking the CPU or GPU. But since it will be a mini itx build, you really shouldn't overclock anything unless you plan on grilling burgers on top of your gpu or something as for there is not enough space for heat to exhaust if you overclock. 

I was pretty sure that it can handle it, but while i was offering my Seasonic, one of the fellas interested in buying it, talked to me about struggling with a similar system with a NZTX 550w PSU and I began to be a bit worried about how my current X99 RIG would do with a Corsair SF600 till I make the switch to mini itx, while also how it would manage my project of a new mini itx system.

About the thermals, actually I've finally grabbed a Fractal Nano which is a pretty "big" mini itx, when I bought the Corsair SF600 I was aiming for a smaller case, so I guess that thermals might be on check, thought I now that the H7 Quad Lumi ain't precisly a top of the line cooler for OC. 

32 minutes ago, King Poet said:

You'll be fine. My mITX rig handles a 5.2GHz OC'd 8700K and OC'd STRIX GTX 1080 24/7. Same PSU.

Thanxs man!!

23 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually?  nope, I do not pay much attention to pre build PCs hahahah...anyway, like I've said before I was pretty sure, but that possibly buyer of my current Seasonic made me doubt, plus a couple of fellas in some forums that told me that I might be a bit tight.

So in conclusion, in the meantime  the SF 600 would even handle easily my current X99 + Xeon rig and if in the future if I go for the 8700K I'll be fine too?...that's a relief, since I've fucved it when I bought the Fractal that allows ATX PSUs. Yet on my defense I want to keep the Corsair instead of the Seasonic since it gives me the possibility for even smaller cases in the future (while I've got covered fot ATX cases with a Silverstone adapator).

PD: Are you THE jonny???...feels liike being advice by Messi about  football.

PD2: Many thanxs for everyone!! down here is really hard to grab hardware and extremely expensive so every help is more than welcome, BTW pardon my english since it's clearly not my first language

Lian Li TU150x - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax - Ryzen 9 3900x - Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 - Asrock RX6800 Ref. Design - Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 32GB - Patriot Burst SATA 240GB - AORUS NVMe Gen4 2TB - PNY CS3030 NVMe Gen3 2TB - Corsair SF750 - Redragon Vishnu K596 - Logitech G604 - Samsung UJ590 32" - Huion GT 221 Pro - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Yamaha HS5

600W is plenty for a single high end CPU and GPU.

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not according to corsair's site. 500W and 400W for the 5 models you have listed. If the site is just downplaying the models (or making other models in the stack look slightly worse, even though they are the same), that obviously doesn't matter though.

image.png.661b3e72420e992869d990f2ee158d5a.png

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/one

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Not according to corsair's site. 500W and 400W for the 5 models you have listed. If the site is just downplaying the models (or making other models in the stack look slightly worse, even though they are the same), that obviously doesn't matter though.

image.png.661b3e72420e992869d990f2ee158d5a.png

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/one

Ah yes.. You know what the story is there?  SF600 is rated at 40°C.  They derated the wattage for 50°C operation, so 600W became 500W.

Still the same PSU. 

The 400W is the 450W at 50°C.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:59 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Ah yes.. You know what the story is there?  SF600 is rated at 40°C.  They derated the wattage for 50°C operation, so 600W became 500W.

Still the same PSU. 

The 400W is the 450W at 50°C.

Hi man, I have a weird question...I might use my new SF600 with my Corsair AIR 540, in such case I need extension cables, So I'm planning to buy a Phanteks kit....BUT, I have a doubt; I have a full set of Seasonic modular cables from an old /dead) legendary Platinum 1250W PSU...what is the risk of using directly these longer cables with the SF600 PSU instead of buying extensions? is the cable arranged in such way that I might have any sort of problem? or I can safely use these seasonic longer cables with the SF600?.

Thanxs in advance!!

PD: Ive read somewhere that is not even recommended to use cables from teh same brand but on different PSU models, for instance using those mentioned ex 1250W cables, with my other current PSU the Seasonic x850....but I sincerely don't know how much truth is in all these cable situations.

51 minutes ago, Laureano said:

Hi man, I have a weird question...I might use my new SF600 with my Corsair AIR 540, in such case I need extension cables, So I'm planning to buy a Phanteks kit....BUT, I have a doubt; I have a full set of Seasonic modular cables from an old /dead) legendary Platinum 1250W PSU...what is the risk of using directly these longer cables with the SF600 PSU instead of buying extensions? is the cable arranged in such way that I might have any sort of problem? or I can safely use these seasonic longer cables with the SF600?.

Thanxs in advance!!

PD: Ive read somewhere that is not even recommended to use cables from teh same brand but on different PSU models, for instance using those mentioned ex 1250W cables, with my other current PSU the Seasonic x850....but I sincerely don't know how much truth is in all these cable situations.

WOW!  Do not do any of the things you're contemplating.

So glad you posted before starting a fire.

The Phanteks cables will add resistance which will cause voltage drop and possibly melted connectors.

The Seasonic cables are not pin compatible and will fry all of your hardware.

But cables made for Corsair PSU's and you'll be fine.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:15 AM, Laureano said:

...what do you think? 

ITX needs a ton of planning and thinking.

depending on the case...

If you stay with X99 it might make sense to look for a case that supports Watercooling (Raven RVZ01 isn't really one of those)

Thing is that many of those cases don't make too much sense and aren't really much smaller than a normal µATX (slim) tower...

God, I really want the BTX Standard back...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

WOW!  Do not do any of the things you're contemplating.

So glad you posted before starting a fire.

The Phanteks cables will add resistance which will cause voltage drop and possibly melted connectors.

The Seasonic cables are not pin compatible and will fry all of your hardware.

But cables made for Corsair PSU's and you'll be fine.

? don't worry I wasn't going to do it, but I allways forget of asking exactly why you can't mix cables with PSUs, and since I have tons of those well made seasonic cables hahaha...

YET, I was suprised about the Phanteks extension kit issue that you've mentioned, everyone I've asked told me that any extension would work with any PSU and that Phanteks ones, were  quality ones...in fact I looked for those because precisly I was avoiding chinese copycats to prevent any posssibly melting

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

ITX needs a ton of planning and thinking.

depending on the case...

If you stay with X99 it might make sense to look for a case that supports Watercooling (Raven RVZ01 isn't really one of those)

Thing is that many of those cases don't make too much sense and aren't really much smaller than a normal µATX (slim) tower...

God, I really want the BTX Standard back...

...planning, which this time I didn't even closely do....I dunno when I start buying hardware sometimes is a like a rollercoaster for me, I can't stop.

Specially when I'm not buying new parts and I start trading or buying used ones (which never was my thing, since I'm allways buying new, but damn is fun this used hunting and trading )..

It all started with the idea of downgrading and going for a smaller factor to accomodate things better in my desktop /since I bought a Pen Display (a huge Huion GT Pro 221, yeap that stuff too)...and now I have almost three complete systems

...the x99 (with even an upgrade to 32gb of RAM)...

...the suppose iniitial replacement: an itx rig in the making, almost too damn good for the secondary or bakup PC that ended being (a fractal Nano, the SF600 (unnecesary since it can be use with normal ATX ones, iniitially I was going for a REAL mini itx case like you are talking about, but couldn't find any really good used one), a mini itx x370 mobo/micro combo (so far at least with a entry level i3 8100) and a 1060 6gb (i've bought a "rational" 1050 BUT the next day I've traded it for the 1060 gb and obviosuly more money involved)...

...and finally the experiment, the crappy Frankestein with an old 775 Asrok G41 mobo, modded for Xeons 771, an old server Delta 650W PSU a shitty office type case, an almost stock cooler master noisy cooler, I love this shitty one...and has her Xeon still in customs because god knows why...

yeap the funniest part is that I don't live in Canada, nor USA, nope I live in a collapsing (once again) Argentinian economy where everything costs three times or more than in the USA, while being unenmployed and starting a freelancer graphic design project...yeap great timing, or maybe not? ?

Well I kind of rationalize all these shit by saying to myself that since this country is allways a mess and since everything can shift to the conttrair direction all of a sudden, I should took all of this madness like an investment and if in the near  future I need cash, well i sell my beloved x99 and keep the mini itx adding the 1080 ti and maybe going for a i7.....but yeap..this whole used market got me addicted and quite stupid, at one point I was going to buy a M2II Seasonic PSU and while I made a stop for eating in my house I realize that I was going to have 4 PSUs (the seasonic 850, the new SF600 the oldie Delta and the  one I was going to buy)...I got to my senses and canceleld the deal...at least I got that one right....

PD: I had an AIO Corsair H110i GT with my x99, but since my initial idea was selling and downgrade, I've sell it...well not exactly, I put it with my Iphone 7 as part of a deal for a new OP6...I've convinced myself that anyway I never really needed it for a  non oc low TDP Xeon like the one I have, using it for a new phone? I still have to find an excuse for that beyond hating apple

PD2: I should thank NVIDIA for their greedy approach to make it impossible to change my 1080 ti for the new 2080 ti...

10 hours ago, Laureano said:

YET, I was suprised about the Phanteks extension kit issue that you've mentioned, everyone I've asked told me that any extension would work with any PSU and that Phanteks ones, were  quality ones...in fact I looked for those because precisly I was avoiding chinese copycats to prevent any posssibly melting

I'm not questioning the quality or compatibility of the Phanteks cables.  It's Ohm's law.  You extend those cables, you're going to drop voltages.  It's a given.  That's how resistance works.

When you have a fully modular PSU, there's no reason to use extensions.  You just get the cables made to fit your PSU.  

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm not questioning the quality or compatibility of the Phanteks cables.  It's Ohm's law.  You extend those cables, you're going to drop voltages.  It's a given.  That's how resistance works.

When you have a fully modular PSU, there's no reason to use extensions.  You just get the cables made to fit your PSU.  

Thanxs man, yesterday I've searched for proper Corsair new cables, I've found a kit, specially for the SFX models that actually is better but sadly this kit doesn't have longer cables...so I guess that using the SF600 in an ATX case will not be possible, thanxs for the help man!

PD: Do you know if the Seasonic cables from my dead 1250W Platinum are pin compatible with my current x-Series 850W Gold Seasonic? thanks in advance

DP. I hate this forum software.  LOL

4 hours ago, Laureano said:

Thanxs man, yesterday I've searched for proper Corsair new cables, I've found a kit, specially for the SFX models that actually is better but sadly this kit doesn't have longer cables...so I guess that using the SF600 in an ATX case will not be possible, thanxs for the help man!

No no no... 

You don't have to get SF cables for the SF600.  They use type 4 cables just like every other Corsair PSU (except HXi) made today. 

The only difference between the SF cables and the cables for an RMx, RMi, HX, AXi, etc. is that the SF cables are shorter. 

Lots of people use the SF600 in full size cases. 

On 10/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, jonnyGURU said:

No no no... 

You don't have to get SF cables for the SF600.  They use type 4 cables just like every other Corsair PSU (except HXi) made today. 

The only difference between the SF cables and the cables for an RMx, RMi, HX, AXi, etc. is that the SF cables are shorter. 

Lots of people use the SF600 in full size cases. 

So if I find any Corsair kit with type 4 longer cables for any of those PSUs I'll be fine, nope?..I'll see if I find sthg...regarding the Seasonic cables prior question, it's the same? I can use my old 1250W PSU cables in my actual x850W one? 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:28 PM, Laureano said:

Thanxs in advance!!

Wait, there is no SFX to ATX adapter with the sf600 is there? Prob have to buy one. @jonnyGURU

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=477

You know what? I forgot about the ATX bracket. That's one edge the Silverstone has on the Corsair - they threw in a bracket to enable their wee wonder to mount in a standard ATX mount. Corsair did not. Is that really a big deal, though? If your case takes ATX power supplies, why not just get one? It's much easier to get a well performing ATX unit than one this size. I'm not into the whole tiny computer thing, though, so it could well be there are good reasons for it.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:15 PM, Laureano said:

...what do you think? I've already have both PSUs but I really need that extra bucks that would give me selling the Seasonic. Thanks in advance!

Most of the time what you think it's too little power is more than enough power

people overestimate most of the time

On 10/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Firewrath9 said:

Wait, there is no SFX to ATX adapter with the sf600 is there? Prob have to buy one. @jonnyGURU

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=477

I'm using the Silverstone one that works like a charm...

On 10/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, jonnyGURU said:

It doesn't come with one, but all SFX to ATX brackets are the same. 

Exactly

On 10/13/2018 at 12:28 AM, 17030644 said:

Most of the time what you think it's too little power is more than enough power

people overestimate most of the time

I know, but sometimes with all the mess i did in this, I ended doubting things I've already knew....a couple of dudes told me "you'll be very near to your limit" and it somehow made me doubt..

Thankx BTW to everybody for the help, for real!

4 hours ago, Laureano said:

Thankx BTW to everybody for the help, for real!

Welcome