What's your favorite tool(piece of software) you use everytime you code?

mrchow19910319

VIM!

jk, I'm not a masochist that refuses to accept the existence of a mouse. I'll usually use something JetBrains makes or Visual Studio Code to write my code and then obviously the internet and bash/powershell to run my thing.

9 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

VIM!

jk, I'm not a masochist that refuses to accept the existence of a mouse.

Tried the acme(2k) IDE yet? :)

Write in C.

2 hours ago, duncannah said:

VSCode and Chrome. Currently doing React right now, create-react-app has its own server and everything

noice~ I am going to learn react next!

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Vs code for nodeJs,

Insomnia for making apis calls,

pnpm to sym link node_modules to save space,

Eslint,

Studio 3t,

Chrome dev tools

Docker and docker compose

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, PeterBocan said:

IntelliJ package. Best toolkit out there. 

I hate Electron apps like Atom and VS Code with passion. 

last time I saw someone published an app then at the end of the product landing page I saw: 

"This app is electron free"

LOL

Shell - Bash

Text Editor - Emacs

Editor for small config scripts - Vim

My general philosophy is that if I touch my mouse or generally remove my hands from the home row of the keyboard while programming, something has gone very, very wrong.

2 minutes ago, Gophyr said:

My general philosophy is that if I touch my mouse or generally remove my hands from the home row of the keyboard while programming, something has gone very, very wrong.

i always felt that only someone who had a tons of experiences in programming will say something like this.. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i always felt that only someone who had a tons of experiences in programming will say something like this.. 

I wouldn't say that I have tons of experience.  It's just that in general when my hands leave the keyboard it means that something just SEGFAULTed in very strange way.

I have to use Eclipse for a class I'm in (because for some reason, that's the environment that was chosen) and I have to say that it still screws me up and is the single most hard-to-use piece of software I have right now.  So many submenus, ugh.  It got a little better once I figured out how to switch the keybindings to Emacs though.

I used a bunch of Jetbrains stuff I get for free as a student (check it out if you didnt know that already, any .edu email works to get a year of their resharper and other related programs)

That means i also use Visual Studio 2017

Eclipse IDE for Java

Notepad++ for anything not a "big" language (like batch, ahk, etc)

Oh and Sublime Text 3 for a few oddball things.

I have N++, EMEditor, Sublime Text, VS Code, and Brackets all installed on my system.  I honestly hate VS code the most, too many damn plugins for functions that I only want in a full IDE anyway.  N++ has some syntax highlighting, and Brackets is great for phython.  If I want the prompts for functions and other stuff Ill load up a full ide.

Sublime Text 2 is my choice for HTML/CSS and Python. Although my new Udemy course is encouraging me to try Atom, so we'll see how that goes. I like how simple Sublime is, it doesn't complicate things.

What's new with Sublime Text 3 anyway? I wasn't aware there was a new release...

4 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Sublime Text 2 is my choice for HTML/CSS and Python. Although my new Udemy course is encouraging me to try Atom, so we'll see how that goes. I like how simple Sublime is, it doesn't complicate things.

atom is garbage compares to sublime..

last time I used it it is kind of bloated. and it's just really slow.

and it crashes from time to time especially when you import a minified file, for example, a minified js file or css file, and atom just crashes.

but to some people atom is really solid. I have seen multiple tech youtuber using atom.

I recommend VS Code. but to be honest, if you really enjoy using sublime, don't switch. sublime 3 has a infinite period of trail time, so you don't have to pay for it. 

sublime text is the FASTEST text editor out there, period. 

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

atom is garbage compares to sublime..

last time I used it it is kind of bloated. and it's just really slow.

and it crashes from time to time especially when you import a minified file, for example, a minified js file or css file, and atom just crashes.

but to some people atom is really solid. I have seen multiple tech youtuber using atom.

I recommend VS Code. but to be honest, if you really enjoy using sublime, don't switch. sublime 3 has a infinite period of trail time, so you don't have to pay for it. 

sublime text is the FASTEST text editor out there, period. 

I was using Visual Studio 2013 or maybe 2015. I remember it feeling very heavy at was quite a large program. I guess when I originally installed it I installed with all the supplementary packages. Is VS Code a lightweight version?

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I was using Visual Studio 2013 or maybe 2015. I remember it feeling very heavy at was quite a large program. I guess when I originally installed it I installed with all the supplementary packages. Is VS Code a lightweight version?

haha! visual studio is the IDE isn't it? 

VS Code is a text editor made by microsoft, imagine sublime minus a little bit of speed , plus a more user friendly extension center.

It's completely different. 

https://code.visualstudio.com/

13 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

2077777562_ScreenShot2018-10-17at1_01_16PM.png.70ab3bb760338bbcd80f757543f31d06.png

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

haha! visual studio is the IDE isn't it? 

VS Code is a text editor made by microsoft, imagine sublime minus a little bit of speed , plus a more user friendly extension center.

It's completely different. 

https://code.visualstudio.com/

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

2077777562_ScreenShot2018-10-17at1_01_16PM.png.70ab3bb760338bbcd80f757543f31d06.png

Yeah sweet, thanks for the clarity. The naming scheme could be better, considering they're both named Visual Studio, but still I more inclined to give VS Code a shot now, thanks.

PhpStorm for most stuff (PHP, Javascript (NodeJs), (S)CSS and HTML). 

Notepad++ sometimes if I need to do a quick edit. (Mostly config files)

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016#technology-development-environments

Thought this link might be helpful. I was going to try using Atom but it seems unnecessarily complicated and it doesn't deal with larger data sets well so I'm probably going to stick with Sublime, there's a reason it's one of the most popular. I will check out VS Code though.

notepad++ or VS Code

only cause my laptop cannot run VS 2016

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧