Proton, Valve's rumoured "Linux compatibility" tool has been released into the Steam client!

pipnina

Has anyone else tried playing DOOM matchmaking? For me the game crashes as soon as you are supposed to enter the match, though the singleplayer seems flawless so far.

Also testing Dawn of War: Dark Crusade reminded me of how much you need the camera extended zoom mod to not get sick playing it :S

I can't get steam play to work at all. I click play, I get the preparing to launch box for a second and that's it. I have the latest Mesa, latest drivers and latest Kernal. Also Python 2.7. My drive also isn't NTFS, it's ext4 so I have no idea what could be causing the problem. 

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

9 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

I can't get steam play to work at all. I click play, I get the preparing to launch box for a second and that's it. I have the latest Mesa, latest drivers and latest Kernal. Also Python 2.7. My drive also isn't NTFS, it's ext4 so I have no idea what could be causing the problem. 

By latest Mesa which version to you mean?

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

By latest Mesa which version to you mean?

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

3 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

That should be fine then... Do all games fail or specific ones? IIRC if you updated your graphics drivers without rebooting you can have issues. I have also heard of some python library being needed, that should have been installed automatically.

17 minutes ago, pipnina said:

That should be fine then... Do all games fail or specific ones? IIRC if you updated your graphics drivers without rebooting you can have issues. I have also heard of some python library being needed, that should have been installed automatically.

Happens with every game I try. Does Proton need the actual AMD drivers, or are the open source ones bundled with the Kernel fine? The official AMD drivers don't ever seem to install for me. In terms of Python, I have 2.7 installed and even re-installed but it's still not working. I'm kind of at a loss as to what this could be as I'm not that clued up on Linux. 

EDIT: Even supported games like Fallout Shelter do absolutely nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

Happens with every game I try. Does Proton need the actual AMD drivers, or are the open source ones bundled with the Kernel fine? The official AMD drivers don't ever seem to install for me. In terms of Python, I have 2.7 installed and even re-installed but it's still not working. I'm kind of at a loss as to what this could be as I'm not that clued up on Linux. 

It should work with the open drivers, so that probably isn't the issue.

All I can recommend at this point is uninstaling and re-installing steam. What file type did you download to install it with? Or maybe you used the steam package in ubuntu's repository?

37 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

Same thing happens on my system. Going to distro hop till I find one that works i guess.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

On 8/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, pipnina said:

It should work with the open drivers, so that probably isn't the issue.

All I can recommend at this point is uninstaling and re-installing steam. What file type did you download to install it with? Or maybe you used the steam package in ubuntu's repository?

Pretty sure I downloaded from Steams website. The Ubuntu Store version didn't even load for me. Will try re-installing.

EDIT: Completely re-installing steam seems to have fixed the issue. Fallout Shelter now loads. I'll re-download the other games I was trying again and give them a shot. 

On 8/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, ltguy said:

Same thing happens on my system. Going to distro hop till I find one that works i guess.

What are you using currently? I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. 

58 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

Just double checking everything. Did you make sure you have up to date Vulkan libs?

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Just double checking everything. Did you make sure you have up to date Vulkan libs?

To be honest, that's something I haven't checked. But it seems to be working now after re-installing steam. Well, at least Fallout Shelter is working now. Not sure about anything else as I'm re-downloading everything. Decided to try Totally Accurate Battlegrounds as it's a very small download but it seems to be stuck on the first time setup. Guess I'll give it some time as it's further then it would get before. 

On 2018-08-23 at 9:20 AM, Connor Price said:

To be honest, that's something I haven't checked. But it seems to be working now after re-installing steam. Well, at least Fallout Shelter is working now. Not sure about anything else as I'm re-downloading everything. Decided to try Totally Accurate Battlegrounds as it's a very small download but it seems to be stuck on the first time setup. Guess I'll give it some time as it's further then it would get before. 

Have you updated/install Python 3.7? I had a similar issue and doing that fixed it for me.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

5 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Have you updated/install Python 3.7? I had a similar issue and doing that fixed it for me.

Huh weird. I would have thought it would just use the version of Python bundled with the Steam Runtime Environment.

So many little dependencies and requirenments. I really hope they do something to help check your system and automate the component updates so less experienced users don't get scared off.

Rip, I tried playing WD1 and WD2 and neither worked

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Just got doom working, but the mouse acts funny in the main menu....

In my experience, mouse troubles have been a long-standing problem with WINE. I don't know why but some games suffer and others don't. Though from my experience DOOM had no mouse issues once you got into the gameplay itself.

Valve should license TempleOS for their SteamOS and add networking +10bit colors and higher resolution.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Just got doom working, but the mouse acts funny in the main menu....

Any chance you have a 1000Hz polling rate mouse? There's a known bug in Proton from the version of Wine they're using and they're currently working to get it fixed.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Any chance you have a 1000Hz polling rate mouse? There's a known bug in Proton from the version of Wine they're using and they're currently working to get it fixed.

Hmm, is this bug to do with mostly FPS or thrid-person games? I use a mouse set to 500hz (125hz behaved poorly as I use a 144Hz monitor) and some games seem to get a "sticky" mouse feeling with WINE. Like there's a deadzone or something.

6 minutes ago, Domo said:

Valve should license TempleOS for their SteamOS and add networking +10bit colors and higher resolution.

10 bit colour? Psh. TempleOS had divine inspiration! It's so far ahead of modern OSes that it has *16-bit* colour. And besides the human soul can't see higher than 640x480 Resolution anyways.

4 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Hmm, is this bug to do with mostly FPS or thrid-person games? I use a mouse set to 500hz (125hz behaved poorly as I use a 144Hz monitor) and some games seem to get a "sticky" mouse feeling with WINE. Like there's a deadzone or something.

It's a bug that causes the mouse to "stick" when moved in slower motions. Fast motions tend to work properly but because of the faster polling rate some slower mouse motions get mistakenly dropped. Some mice still have the controller set to 1000hz even if you drop the polling rate and it affects those too.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/147

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

10 bit colour? Psh. TempleOS had divine inspiration! It's so far ahead of modern OSes that it has *16-bit* colour. And besides the human soul can't see higher than 640x480 Resolution anyways.

It's a bug that causes the mouse to "stick" when moved in slower motions. Fast motions tend to work properly but because of the faster polling rate some slower mouse motions get mistakenly dropped. Some mice still have the controller set to 1000hz even if you drop the polling rate and it affects those too.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/147

This is exactly my issue! Nice to know it's known and being resolved by devs.

22 minutes ago, pipnina said:

In my experience, mouse troubles have been a long-standing problem with WINE. I don't know why but some games suffer and others don't. Though from my experience DOOM had no mouse issues once you got into the gameplay itself.

Interesting, yesterday it wasnt working correctly but now it does, maybe they updated proton...

20 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

IDK, my mouse is a MX Master.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Interesting, yesterday it wasnt working correctly but now it does, maybe they updated proton...

IDK, my mouse is a MX Master.

Nah the MX Master is 250Hz polling rate so it's not affected by that bug.

I tried Project Cars; a non-whilelisted game and fortunately it worked!

60-80fps high settings 1080p

Linux Mint 19

i7 3770K CPU @ stock

2 x 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz

AMD R9 290

Mesa 18.3

just snapped a couple of shots

43522108614_d5c290ed2c_o.jpg

43522108934_6c144c2503_o.jpg

Really look forward to the progress of the beta and more games getting officially whitelisted.

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I tried Project Cars; a non-whilelisted game and fortunately it worked!

60-80fps high settings

Linux Mint 19

i7 3770K CPU @ stock

2 x 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz

AMD R9 290

Mesa 18.3

just snapped a couple of shots

Really look forward to the progress of the beta and more games getting officially whitelisted.

Amazing! I hope it gets whitelisted soon so I can get a decent racing game! I've been really disappointed by recent showings (I.e. GT Sport)

Did you try it with a controller?