Disney's buyout of 20th century FOX as good as done.

MoonSpot
15 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Now that you've commented, I just realized this might be a big kick in the nuts to apple itunes content availability and purchasing front.

Reveal hidden contents

WjmkB.jpg

bye bye 30%+ cut Apple.

Apple has connections to Disney and you can blame Pixar for that.

Apple doesn't have to worry about Disney trying to push for more money, they have their ways.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Got a source on that?  Not seeing anything with a cursory search.

Well that's what I get for posting without double checking beforehand. It was 95% of profits, not revenue. So profit after operating cost for theaters was deducted. 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

12 hours ago, Uncle Pockets said:

hulu is still better than netflix. half the shows they took off netflix are now on hulu, and most of those are ones I watch. 

They will probably kick those shows off the Plattform because they are offensive ;)

But that's what made the good action Movies of the 80s so great. Or comedy. Because it is offensive you can laugh about that. Especially Dave Chapelle and others...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Unless governments intervene to block such monopoly and too much market control Disney is surely going to take over everything,  i dont even know how a company like disney got so big, i guess the name and audience's i thought Disney had is fooling me and they are just your regular corporation fucks that want to monopolize everything

At least maybe now we'll get the original non-special-edition Star Wars trilogy released in modern formats.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, yian88 said:

Unless governments intervene to block such monopoly and too much market control Disney is surely going to take over everything,  i dont even know how a company like disney got so big, i guess the name and audience's i thought Disney had is fooling me and they are just your regular corporation fucks that want to monopolize everything

Well, duh. Disney has been shady as fuck from the get-go. Let's not forget that they're a big reason for the US copyright system being such a fucking disaster.

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

At least maybe now we'll get the original non-special-edition Star Wars trilogy released in modern formats.

It will never happen.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

It will never happen.

It very well might. It hasn't been possible before because 20th Century Fox retains the rights for Episode IV. If Disney buys 20th Century Fox then Disney will be able to make it happen. And unlike George Lucas, who has more money than he could ever spend and who likes to torture Star War fans with his SE editions, the prequels, and Jar-Jar Bunks, Disney actually cares about having a good public reputation, about making money, and about catering to its audience.

If people want it and will buy it, then Disney will most likely do it. And people do want it and it is likely a foregone conclusion that people will buy it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

11 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It very well might. It hasn't been possible before because 20th Century Fox retains the rights for Episode IV. If Disney buys 20th Century Fox then Disney will be able to make it happen. And unlike George Lucas, who has more money than he could ever spend and who likes to torture Star War fans with his SE editions, the prequels, and Jar-Jar Bunks, Disney actually cares about having a good public reputation, about making money, and about catering to its audience.

If people want it and will buy it, then Disney will most likely do it. And people do want it and it is likely a foregone conclusion that people will buy it.

LucasFilm has repeatedly said they have no intention of re-releasing the original versions of the OT.

47 minutes ago, Derangel said:

LucasFilm has repeatedly said they have no intention of re-releasing the original versions of the OT.

LucasFilm used to be owned by George Lucas. It isn't anymore. And after LucasFilm was sold to Disney, LucasFilm still couldn't release the original versions of the OT because 20th Century Fox (which financed the first Star Wars film) holds the rights to Episode IV. And there are reports that Disney is seeking to replace LucasFilm's current president.

Also, I think that Fox holds the distribution rights over the original unedited ESB and RotJ films until 2020 - at which point they will automatically transfer to Disney.

So, whenever LucasFilm said they had no intention of re-releasing the non-SE OT, they didn't have the legal possibility to in the first place and LucasFilm itself was under different ownership and soon will likely be under different management.

It's been speculated that George Lucas' ex-wife, who he divorced in 1983, being entitled to receive profits from the unedited original Star Wars film could have been a factor in George Lucas' refusal to release them.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

LucasFilm used to be owned by George Lucas. It isn't anymore. And after LucasFilm was sold to Disney, LucasFilm still couldn't release the original versions of the OT because 20th Century Fox (which financed the first Star Wars film) holds the rights to Episode IV. And there are reports that Disney is seeking to replace LucasFilm's current president.

Also, I think that Fox holds the distribution rights over the original unedited ESB and RotJ films until 2020 - at which point they will automatically transfer to Disney.

So, whenever LucasFilm said they had no intention of re-releasing the non-SE OT, they didn't have the legal possibility to in the first place and LucasFilm itself was under different ownership and soon will likely be under different management.

It's been speculated that George Lucas' ex-wife, who he divorced in 1983, being entitled to receive profits from the unedited original Star Wars film could have been a factor in George Lucas' refusal to release them.

LucasFilm has stated it since being bought by Disney. Can't remember the exact quote but it was something about respecting Lucas' vision.

If Disney does end up cleaning and replacing LucasFilm's leadership structure (which will likely depend on Episode 9's performance) there could be a slim chance of Kenndy's replacement wanting to re-release the unedted OT, but I wouldn't hold your breath. For as much as the edits harm the films, they are Lucas' vision and even if he didn't stipulate that the unedited versions are never re-released when selling it would be considered very, very, disrespectful to do so without his blessing. Of course, that all assumes the original negatives even still exist and are stored in LucasFilm's archive. If not they would have to see if any survived in other people's hands over the years or talk the Library of Congress into borrowing their copies for the process.

Edit: Forgot to add that even the prints used for the original Special Edition remaster (all remasters have been based on that one going forward) were in very bad shape and required millions of dollars, per movie, to rework. 20 years on, even if Lucas didn't toss them out, those original prints are probably unusable. Most of the reels people find out in the wild are in even worse shape. The reel used for the Silver Screen edition made by fans seemed to be one of the better ones outside of the one used for the SE and that still had a lot of issues. 

3 hours ago, Derangel said:

LucasFilm has stated it since being bought by Disney. Can't remember the exact quote but it was something about respecting Lucas' vision.

Probably just PR, since Disney wasn't able to release them anyway since they didn't have the rights to them. The fact that they didn't outright just say they aren't in a position to release them shows that they were thinking along PR lines. Also, expressing any interest in the original versions would put Disney at a disadvantage in any future negotiations for them, so it would be strategic to frame not releasing them as for some reason other than 'we don't have the rights to'.

And I don't think that Star Wars fans care about Lucas' vision since the SE of the OT and then the prequels. Lucas' vision for the films changed over time, too. As he was filming the movies, he said he was making the type of films that he, being an adult, wanted to see. During the prequels-era, Lucas changed his mind about them and said that they're kids movies. So, his "vision" and understanding of the films is inconsistent over time.

For as much as the edits harm the films, they are Lucas' vision and even if he didn't stipulate that the unedited versions are never re-released when selling it would be considered very, very, disrespectful to do so without his blessing.

Star Wars doesn't belong to Lucas anymore. He sold them and got out of them what he decided was what he wanted. If there's a matter of respect that's needed, it's respect to the OT's original quality, and fixing them out of respect for what they were.

Of course, that all assumes the original negatives even still exist and are stored in LucasFilm's archive. If not they would have to see if any survived in other people's hands over the years or talk the Library of Congress into borrowing their copies for the process.

Edit: Forgot to add that even the prints used for the original Special Edition remaster (all remasters have been based on that one going forward) were in very bad shape and required millions of dollars, per movie, to rework. 20 years on, even if Lucas didn't toss them out, those original prints are probably unusable. Most of the reels people find out in the wild are in even worse shape. The reel used for the Silver Screen edition made by fans seemed to be one of the better ones outside of the one used for the SE and that still had a lot of issues. 

Harmy's Despecialized versions show that the originals can be restored with high fidelity - even using community sourced resources. A lot of the other projects at originaltrilogy.com show what's possible even without millions of dollars.

I wouldn't take Lucas' claim that the originals don't exist anymore seriously. The digital transfers pre and post touch-ups and changes that were used to create the SE's are going to be archived. Lucas said that the originals don't exist anymore to squash any hopes fans had of seeing them released. He was just trying to rub shit in his critics' faces, like when he wore a 'Han shot first' shirt.

This isn't a merger, this is murder.

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.4 GHz
Mobo | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

GPU | Sapphire NITRO+ RX-580

RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Case | Fractal Design Define R6

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

Keys | Corsair K70 RGB Mk2, MX-Red

Mouse | Logitech M215v2 Wireless

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

RAM | 4GB Kingston ValuRAM

SSD | 120GB Adata

HDD | 2x Toshiba 3TB, 3x Hitachi 2TB

PSU | EVGA 600B

Case | Cooler Master N300

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

MODEL | Asus X550IU "Signature Edition" (whatever that means)

APU | AMD FX-9830P with Radeon R7 Graphics
GPU | Radeon RX-460

SSD | Mushkin Triactor 500GB

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

Disney killed Star Wars. That's reason enough to oppose this and any other mergers or buyouts. Just for the last jedi theater fiasco, disney should be broken up as a monopoly. I'd bring back Marvel and Lucasfilm as standalone companies. Split the parks/cruises/resorts from the disney animation side. And fire anybody and everybody who ruined lucasfilm and turned marvel comics into this domain of vitriol and hatred towards their core audience. I'm looking at you kathleen you horse-faced, man hating, lying, cunt.

9 minutes ago, 42kq said:

Disney killed Star Wars. That's reason enough to oppose this and any other mergers or buyouts. Just for the last jedi theater fiasco, disney should be broken up as a monopoly. I'd bring back Marvel and Lucasfilm as standalone companies. Split the parks/cruises/resorts from the disney animation side. And fire anybody and everybody who ruined lucasfilm and turned marvel comics into this domain of vitriol and hatred towards their core audience. I'm looking at you kathleen you horse-faced, man hating, lying, cunt.

It's fair to call Disney out for Star Wars because they did hire Kenndy, but it should be pointed out that Lucasfilm, Marvel Entertainment, and Marvel Pictures are all entities that operate independently. As long as they're making money they're pretty much left alone. Which is why Bob Iger didn't yell at Kenndy until Solo bombed. Marvel Comics is slowly turning around. The new EIC has been cleaning house and trying to put the comics back on a different track. They've killed Jane Foster Thor (in a pretty darn good send-off), are giving Odinson his name back, brought Stark back, are refocusing on X-men, ditched the much hated rich Peter Parker and made him street-level again, and so on. I've been hearing good things about some of their recent titles. Bendis is no longer running the show there and seems to be doing a good job not royally fucking up Superman (yet) over at DC. So, hopefully, Marvel Comics can get things back on track as time goes on. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Fantastic Four comic is going to be like.

I grew up reading marvel. Spiderman was my favorite. I do love the MCU, I just hate how the comics themselves have been infected with this 'social justice' ideology. When I go to my local comic store, all I see is marvel piled up on the shelves not moving. But DC flies off the shelves. The owner told me that marvel ships him more comics than he requests and that he cant sell. They wont even take them back so he just gives them away and the audience(mostly straight white males) dont want to read about disabled transgender lesbian muslim superheroes who hate and call them out on their 'privilege.'

P.S. Privilege just means I'm better than you.

1 hour ago, 42kq said:

I grew up reading marvel. Spiderman was my favorite. I do love the MCU, I just hate how the comics themselves have been infected with this 'social justice' ideology. When I go to my local comic store, all I see is marvel piled up on the shelves not moving. But DC flies off the shelves. The owner told me that marvel ships him more comics than he requests and that he cant sell. They wont even take them back so he just gives them away and the audience(mostly straight white males) dont want to read about disabled transgender lesbian muslim superheroes who hate and call them out on their 'privilege.'

P.S. Privilege just means I'm better than you.

Kamala khan isn't bad.

I mean it avoid me buying fire starters in the winter, so she turned out to be more useful than the good comics i keep on the shelves collecting dust.

Same for squirrel girl

and captain marvel

Jokes aside, DC isn't immune to this either. They've released equal amount of trash

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I know but DC is way less infected with this sjw trash. Even in the mainline marvel comics inject this brain trash on their pages.

On 7/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, MoonSpot said:

Now that you've commented, I just realized this might be a big kick in the nuts to apple itunes content availability and purchasing front.

Oh good I hate itunes anyhow... Every disney movie that give me those codes I always give it to a family member with "I don't want that shitware on my computer"

On 7/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, VegetableStu said:

Pixar and Apple has a silent buddy relation though. Not sure if Disney is going to let a few IPs onto ATV or the like

(going off that time they put an appropriatey scaled iPad IN CARS THREE)

On 7/27/2018 at 4:13 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Apple has connections to Disney and you can blame Pixar for that.

Apple doesn't have to worry about Disney trying to push for more money, they have their ways.

Well shit, guess they'll have to buy that too then... 500 Billion should work... But seriously if they get a good streaming service behind them they just might give Apple the middle finger, because cheaper.

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

Well shit, guess they'll have to buy that too then... 500 Billion should work... But seriously if they get a good streaming service behind them they just might give Apple the middle finger, because cheaper.

I have a feeling Apple would much rather work out something with Disney to keep their movies on iTunes and get priority on whatever Disney develops as a streaming app if they don't buy out Hulu entirely.

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I have a feeling Apple would much rather work out something with Disney to keep their movies on iTunes and get priority on whatever Disney develops as a streaming app if they don't buy out Hulu entirely.

Well the problem is Disney doesn't have 500 Billion in cash and stock likely so it would literally be cheaper to buyout netflix in that case, which I'm sure they have thought of... But if they do their new streaming platform similar to walmart's VUDU with a paid and UV/purchased films style (which imo is the way to go), they would basically scrub the whole apple requirement. The only way Apple could prevent that is if they could offer it for cheaper than for Disney to operate it, which means to keep a client could mean a possible loss...

UV is obviously dead/dying, but the concept is something Disney has actually adapted using the Movies Anywhere service which could stay or murge to the new service.

4 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Well the problem is Disney doesn't have 500 Billion in cash and stock likely so it would literally be cheaper to buyout netflix in that case, which I'm sure they have thought of... But if they do their new streaming platform similar to walmart's VUDU with a paid and UV/purchased films style (which imo is the way to go), they would basically scrub the whole apple requirement. The only way Apple could prevent that is if they could offer it for cheaper than for Disney to operate it, which means to keep a client could mean a possible loss...

UV is obviously dead/dying, but the concept is something Disney has actually adapted using the Movies Anywhere service which could stay or murge to the new service.

I know Disney has the resources to really expand on their services, but I think it would be a better idea to go with something a bit more known like Hulu to try to either buy out or take hard control of, most likely the latter.

If Apple does offer something to Disney, then it'd be interesting to see if they offer their movies at 2160p HDR.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I know Disney has the resources to really expand on their services, but I think it would be a better idea to go with something a bit more known like Hulu to try to either buy out or take hard control of, most likely the latter.

If Apple does offer something to Disney, then it'd be interesting to see if they offer their movies at 2160p HDR.

Who knows, maybe even renewing The Simpsons with the buyout would be on the table.