Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lcar

Is this true?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Did Linus destroy his iMac Pro just to get views and iFixit sponsorship?

IMG_0618.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Lcar said:

No he didn't. It seems like you haven't seen all of the videos related to this topic. 

Desktop Computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 (-0.175V undervolt) Motherboard: HP Thimphu Z170 mATX RAM: G.Skill DDR4-2133 13-14-14-35 (4x8GB) GPU: GTX 970 SSD: SanDisk X300 128GB HDDs: WD Blue 1TB + Toshiba 750GB Keyboard: Logitech G710+ w/ Cherry MX Browns Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QCK Monitor: Samsung S24D390 24" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit PLS Audio: Insignia NS-PSB4521 OS: W10 Ultimate + Linux Mint 19 + FreeNAS 11.1

Primary Laptop Specs (ROG G750JW):

CPU: Intel Core i7 4700HQ (-0.1V undervolt) Motherboard: ASUS HM87 RAM: Samsung DDR3-1600 CL11 (3x4GB) GPU: GTX 765M SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB HDD: Toshiba 750GB Mouse: Logitech MK235 Screen: 17.3" 1080p 60Hz 350 nit TN Display Monitor: Dell E2418HN 24" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit IPS OS: W10 Home

Secondary Laptop Specs (Samsung R525):

CPU: AMD Athlon II M320 Motherboard: Samsung M780G RAM: Samsung DDR2-800 (1x4GB) GPU: ATI HD 5470 512MB HDD: Samsung Spinpoint M7 120GB Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 1850 Screen: 15.6" 1366x768 60Hz 200 nit TN OS: W7 Ultimate

that looks like a rug to me

Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a mobile workstation/gaming laptop double WITH CRAPPY THERMAL PASTE THAT 1/2 THE CINEBENCH SCORE

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1700MHz 0.812V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 CL19 (timings are so loose, might as well have lower frequency). Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 2 exhausts Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Absolutely. 

It's not very well known, but iFixIt actually pays Linus in socks, sandals and chocolate biscuits. 

Is this true?

There wasn't money involved?

Well he gets money by getting views sooooo...

Actually he did that because, in the video he said this, they qualified for return pricing. Where you have to send the original part to Apple (presumably it can be in broken or not broken condition) to get a replacement for it. 

Apple does this, also mentioned in the video.. Maybe not at the same place, so there are no replacement parts from third party vendors in the wild (if the glass on the display was broken, but some cable wasn't; they could sell that online.. Apple doesn't want that).

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

yeah also he gets paid by PIA to sell the plans for Canadian nuclear maple syrup missiles to the Russian government

Specs: CPU: Intel core i5 3470, GPU: Asus Strix GTX 950 2Gb @ ~1400Mhz, RAM: 16 Gb DDR3 SODIMMs @1333Mhz , Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-M LE.

22 minutes ago, Lcar said:

No.

Watch all LTT's videos on the topic, that should get you the full story.

37 minutes ago, Lcar said:

Why don't you actually watch the videos and find the answer for yourself?

30 minutes ago, Lcar said:

Is this true?

There wasn't money involved?

No, it's a sarcastic joke...

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

43 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

iFixIt actually pays Linus in socks, sandals and chocolate biscuits.

I knew about the socks and sandals, but chocolate biscuits too?

What happened to our beloved Linus.. I guess he'll do anything to get a fix..