Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoodBytes

Surface Go - A new low cost Surface Pro - Starts at only 399$

So close... I wish the base model came with the ssd by default instead of emmc. Like cmoooooooon. Also 100 dollars for the keyboard D: this isn't feeling so cheap anymore.

59 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

When you do work, the height of a screen will outweigh the black bars at the top and bottom on a 1080p on movies, which you'll, in any case, especially for movies watched in their original format which are 21:9 or some other aspect ration, depending on the art direction of the director. The Surface Go is not marketed as a movie watching inexpensive tablet. Else it would not have a pen, let alone a trackpad on tits cover. It is for productivity. Oh and the black bars will just blend with the screen bezels in any case. Not to ignore the fact that this device is powered by an IPS panel and not a TN panel, so no backlight bleeding at the top and/or bottom giving this blue or yellow gradient on the black bars in a video.

To me, I can't stand my work display as it is 1080p, way to narrow. At home I have a 16:10, which is nice, but you can get I would buy a 3:2 if that was available.

But wouldn't that create a skewed viewing experience for those who are looking at your content who don't have a 3:2 screen?

CPU - i5 6600k | RAM - 16 GB DDR4 2133MHz | GPU - MSI Gaming X RX470 4GB | MOBO -  Asus z170-P

11 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

But wouldn't that create a skewed viewing experience for those who are looking at your content who don't have a 3:2 screen?

Not necessarily. If you work on photo/video I'd assume you can manage aspect ratios and resolutions yourself and if need be: connect an external monitor. You'd have to have a lot of monitors if you needed to test your content for most or all scenarios.

Color space and accuracy is more difficult than aspect ratio if you ask me.

Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

I am sadly not sure I understand what you are asking. :/

You can work on 16:9 content on any aspect ratio, even a 4:3 (non-wide screen) monitor.

Aspect Ratio is not scaling or resolution, it is just width compared to height.

Sorry, can you clarify?

On 7/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, RorzNZ said:

This looks really nice I will 100% not be buying this and instead using my phone and laptop. Call me old fashioned but I really do not have a use for a tablet like this. It's a great product but no use that I haven't already got something for. 

We have a surface pro at my office, and I think it is a TERRIBLE device.

- The kick stand principle is just flimsy and the thing falls over all the time

- The keyboard and trackpad are just terrible to use for more than 30 seconds.

- The battery life is not very good even on light workloads.

- The screen is so reflective and a fingerprint magnet.

- I hate the way Windows 10 operates in this device, with their "tablet like" interface.

- The fabric on the keyboard side wears poorly, not durable, and just kind of gross on a shared device.

In my opinion, you are better off with a tablet, and if you really need to be productive, get a real laptop. These kinds of things don't do anything particularly well. It is too heavy and cumbersome to be a tablet, and too flimsy and awkward to be a laptop replacement.

Best Gaming Podcasts on the internet! Check out Orange Lounge Radio Live on Twitch;  Sunday nights at 6PM ET / 9PM PT:

https://www.twitch.tv/vognetwork

I am confused.

Can I use the surface go like an iPad with a pencil?

Because I wanted to buy an iPad with the pencil for school (taking notes, homework....)

13 minutes ago, maartendc said:

- I hate the way Windows 10 operates in this device, with their "tablet like" interface.

- The fabric on the keyboard side wears poorly, not durable, and just kind of gross on a shared device.

In my opinion, you are better off with a tablet, and if you really need to be productive, get a real laptop. These kinds of things don't do anything particularly well. It is too heavy and cumbersome to be a tablet, and too flimsy and awkward to be a laptop replacement.

Next to every review is the polar opposite of every point you made. But I still think the surfacebook is a better option. 

8 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I am confused.

Can I use the surface go like an iPad with a pencil?

Because I wanted to buy an iPad with the pencil for school (taking notes, homework....)

I know the regular Surface Pro comes with a stylus / pencil. Not sure about this model.

Best Gaming Podcasts on the internet! Check out Orange Lounge Radio Live on Twitch;  Sunday nights at 6PM ET / 9PM PT:

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Next to every review is the polar opposite of every point you made. But I still think the surfacebook is a better option. 

Yes I know this device is well loved by reviewers.

Having used it myself, I have no idea why everyone is so positive about it. It is just not very good in my opinion, and definitely NOT a good laptop replacement.

Maybe if you compare it to an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, you might get some more productivity out of this. But in that respect, the iPad is more user friendly, as this Windows 10 tablet interface just sucks. In my opinion this device tries to do 2 things at once, and fails at both. It is not a user friendly tablet, and it is not a good laptop.

I'm disappointed in the Surface Go to be honest. While the concept is great, it's already held back by the fact it runs a full version of Windows 10. Some may see this a benefit but the iPad (and Chromebooks to an extent) have the advantage at this form factor (and price point) because they run a streamlined operating system which keeps out of the users way and isn't a drain on the limited resources these devices typically come with. Microsoft have been talking about a streamlines (and UWP only) version of Windows 10 for a while but it's not a thing and due to their being no decent Surface/Windows phone, the UWP app ecosystem is terrible.

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

For the most part, I agree. I had a SP3 that I used as a secondary device for the purpose of hand writing notes, and overall I preferred the iPad pro. The SP3 had the advantage of being a more powerful/versatile OS, but for my use case it was no better than iOS (obviously this isn't the case for everyone). But I can safely say that I absolutely hated using it as a laptop -- using it on my lap was a horrible experience, and the trackpad/keyboard were such utter garbage (the newer typecovers improved or significantly, but still not enough to where I would be even remotely satisfied with it).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I really really wish it had a GPS module.  I would really like a windows solution for my flight EFB (electronic flight bag).  If it had one, I would buy it in a heart beat.  To me it fits my need of a tablet that can do slightly more than a normal tablet.

5 hours ago, maartendc said:

I cannot agree at all, beside the screen reflection, which is sadly the reality of consumer products, and Windows 10 Tablet Mode (I just use the desktop mode)

- Kickstand is very solid for me.  It hold properly, it is solid, closes fine.

- Keyboard and trackpad is highly well regarded. Said to be one of the best in the PC market.

- battery life is a solid 7h, with 5h under load on my SP3

- Fabric is easy to clean with a cleaner and a micro fiber cloth. It is just rubber textured sheet (unless you get the keyboard with a fabric, then you need to use a fabric cleaner). My keyboard cover of my SP3 looks brand new, despite years being in used at school and now at work, daily.

7 hours ago, maartendc said:

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

With regard to the kickstand, (and admittedly I have never used a Surface device) that's one of my biggest complaints about the Surface line up - the "form factor".

With a traditional laptop, you have a (relatively speaking) heavy base and light display, and a rigid hinge between the two.  This means the necessary base of support is relatively small compared to the whole machine.

image.png.d3e9eda3cc1284451194f39a73a1b0be.png

Additionally, you can fold it nearly flat and stand it up on the edge to elevate the display nearer your eye level while not having to hold it in the air

image.png.4f7ec1342dbb5a963db250c4c9f9142b.png

This is great for watching videos when sitting or laying down when use of the keyboard is not necessary and you want a more natural eye and head position.

However, due to the design of a Surface device (all the weight is in the "display" and the keyboard just hangs off of it), neither of these use cases are possible.  When using it as a laptop, it needs much more supported area, and the second scenario is simply not possible.

image.png.7904ab5c2fbb1b4c04ca2ee10c8fb8ca.png

This fact, combined with the often small tables found in university unfortunately makes it unsuitable for what would otherwise be one of the best uses - note taking in class.  Yes, you could fold it down and write on it, but that's all you can do, where as with a 2 in 1, it can function like that, or as a normal laptop.

35 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

With regard to the kickstand, (and admittedly I have never used a Surface device) that's one of my biggest complaints about the Surface line up - the "form factor".

With a traditional laptop, you have a (relatively speaking) heavy base and light display, and a rigid hinge between the two.  This means the necessary base of support is relatively small compared to the whole machine.

image.png.d3e9eda3cc1284451194f39a73a1b0be.png

Additionally, you can fold it nearly flat and stand it up on the edge to elevate the display nearer your eye level while not having to hold it in the air

image.png.4f7ec1342dbb5a963db250c4c9f9142b.png

This is great for watching videos when sitting or laying down when use of the keyboard is not necessary and you want a more natural eye and head position.

However, due to the design of a Surface device (all the weight is in the "display" and the keyboard just hangs off of it), neither of these use cases are possible.  When using it as a laptop, it needs much more supported area, and the second scenario is simply not possible.

image.png.7904ab5c2fbb1b4c04ca2ee10c8fb8ca.png

This fact, combined with the often small tables found in university unfortunately makes it unsuitable for what would otherwise be one of the best uses - note taking in class.  Yes, you could fold it down and write on it, but that's all you can do, where as with a 2 in 1, it can function like that, or as a normal laptop.

The only issue with the Surface design is that, as the keyboard is a cover attached to the device, it takes a lot more room than a laptop.

So if you have a very very short table, the device will not hold, either the kick-stand will be outside of the table, and fall over, or the keyboard will be partially or fully out and you can't type on it, while a laptop, with it's stiff hinge, you have no problem unless the table is more like a pole, where it might hold, but typing will probably add the pressure to make it flip where pressure it applied.

The above applies to lap usage, and yes, the Surface Pro is more difficult to use on a lap than a laptop... then again, you have 0 problem using a Surface pro while standing up, but difficult to do with a laptop.

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I'd say it is impossible to use on a lap. The kickstand and screen have to be in just the right angle not to topple over. When the kickstand is engaged, the screen is still "top-heavy" and not balanced, so it is still very easy to knock over, even when on an "optimal" surface such as a table.

Also, when I have a bunch of folders and documents on my desk, you cannot just put this thing on top of it, because the smallest uneven-ness will topple it over, it has to be an absolutely flat unobstructed surface. Not so with laptops, which you can lay down on pretty much any surface.

On 10/07/2018 at 2:52 AM, captain_to_fire said:

I want to know how much free space is left on that 64GB model? Windows 10 is quite bloated and Windows 10S simply disables stuff like Power Shell and running programs outside of the Windows Store so I don’t think there’s a big difference when it comes to storage space consumption. 

Not much I imagine. Windows takes up roughly 20GB after updates. I work in a computer based store and we have people complain about running out of space on 64GB/32GB nand flash based laptops.

System Specs:

CPU:  Intel 8700K (3.7-4.7GHz Turbo)  GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8GB MB: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus   RAM: Corsair 3000MHz 2x8GB(16GB)  CPU Cooler: Kraken X42 AIO  Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Z  SSD: OCZ ARC100 480GB  HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black, Seagate Barracuda 1TB both 7200RPM, WD Green 2TB (storage)  PSU: Pro750W XFX 80 Plus Gold  Case: NZXT H500 Optical Drive: -

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

Not much I imagine. Windows takes up roughly 20GB after updates. I work in a computer based store and we have people complain about running out of space on 64GB/32GB nand flash based laptops.

Iirc, I had like 30gb free on my 64gb SP3, which was perfectly fine given my use case.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Iirc, I had like 30gb free on my 64gb SP3, which was perfectly fine given my use case.

If that was an iPad people would be complaining that more than half was consumed by the OS. Thankfully iOS 11 only takes up roughly 5-6GB.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

Makes me wonder why can't just Microsoft sell a clamshell keyboard attachment that also doubles the battery life. Asus used to sell those with their Transformer Pad Infinity tablets.

Image result for asus transformer pad infinity

What's worse is that PC OEMs are also following Microsoft's kickstand tablet like HP, Acer, and Asus. I bet that Surface Pro owners can't use it comfortably in an airport while sitting unlike a traditional clamshell laptop.

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Makes me wonder why can't just Microsoft sell a clamshell keyboard attachment that also doubles the battery life. Asus used to sell those with their Transformer Pad Infinity tablets.

What's worse is that PC OEMs are also following Microsoft's kickstand tablet like HP, Acer, and Asus.

It's called the Surface Book :)

They hard keyboard defeats the purpose of the Surface Pro/Go.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's called the Surface Book :)

They hard keyboard defeats the purpose of the Surface Pro/Go.

That one is expensive. If I were Microsoft, I'd ax the type cover and just make a thin clamshell keyboard and do what Asus did in 2012 with their Android tablet. 

21 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

If that was an iPad people would be complaining that more than half was consumed by the OS. Thankfully iOS 11 only takes up roughly 5-6GB.

I mean, yes, and I would also have complained if it was my primary device and not a secondary device that was used almost exclusively as paper. But then again, I would never own it as a primary device, nor recommend it as one (most of the time) as there are just far too many compromises and problems with it.

But it's also worth pointing out that the surface at least has a micro-sd card slot, so you can easily add some cheap/slow mass storage.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

That one is expensive. If I were Microsoft, I'd ax the type cover and just make a thin clamshell keyboard and do what Asus did in 2012 with their Android tablet. 

But again, you are breaking the point of the Surface Pro. It needs to quickly flip from laptop to tablet and back to laptop. It needs to lay down into a drawing position.