Peltier cooling cpu

Hi,

Today i came across this video: 

It's rather interesting how cool the cpu gets. Would this be possible with newer cpu's or is their tdp to high? I think that i would be possible if you have a high end high wattage peltier element. Whats you thought on this?

you CAN do it, its just inefficient and quite a bit of work and money. you need a really beefy heatsink on the hot side of the peltier element and every watt you put into removing heat from the CPU you also put into that heatsink

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

Hi,

Today i came across this video: 

It's rather interesting how cool the cpu gets. Would this be possible with newer cpu's or is their tdp to high? I think that i would be possible if you have a high end high wattage peltier element. Whats you thought on this?

Yeah,  peltier cooling still exists and as far as I know it works fine. Not sure if this is the same thing, but you can even buy thermolectric cooler kits all in one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835670001&cm_re=thermoelectric_cooler-_-35-670-001-_-Product.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

It is an interesting and workable solution but your still going to have to remove waste heat.

As mentioned above it is very in-efficient way of cooling a CPU at this time.

Just so you are aware there a multitude of discussions in the forum on this topic, some very interesting stuff indeed.

**let me point out that the individual in that video used way to much thermal paste... xD

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

the issue with peltiers is their mindblowing lack of efficiency. the "more sensible" alternative is using airconditioning compressors to make a "chiller" (as seen on LTT ;))

to give an idea of how inefficient peltiers are, what they do is use power to make one side of a -very thermally conductive plate- cold, and the other side hot, also dumping the consumed power as heat on the output side. the issue is that they are naturally rather thermally conductive, so the hot side also heats up the cold side, and you have to put in excessive amounts of power to get the cold side to actually displace heat, rather than to just "keep cold".

there's some peltier-based cooler boxes, but they are just that: cooler boxes. they intend to keep a thermally insulated box at a number of degrees below ambient, consuming a less than sensible amount of power in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, panther420 said:

Yeah,  peltier cooling still exists and as far as I know it works fine. Not sure if this is the same thing, but you can even buy thermolectric cooler kits all in one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835670001&cm_re=thermoelectric_cooler-_-35-670-001-_-Product.

"beyond 140W" => cooler uses 35 watts, to kinda match a 240mm aio..

33 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

It's rather interesting how cool the cpu gets. Would this be possible with newer cpu's or is their tdp to high?

Yes, CPUs haven't got any warmer.

33 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

I think that i would be possible if you have a high end high wattage peltier element. Whats you thought on this?

Getting a good enough peltier isn't a problem, the actual drawbacks are (a) cooling the hot side of the peltier itself and (b) potential condensation, as the cold side will go sub-ambient pretty quickly.

Whenever you consider alternative cooling methods, there's always more than how cool the CPU gets. For example, high-end air coolers and AIO water coolers may often be similar in cost and performance, but they are very different in terms of space requirements in the socket area, space requirements in the case, where they dump the hot air, how they influence air flow inside the case... It's the same with TECs: they offer something different, but it won't mean an advantage for every use case. What they offer is an element that can quickly go below ambient temps, which isn't all that great to make a cooler exclusively out of a peltier, but can be used as a complement to another method - which is in fact how manufacturers have used them: the TEC-based coolers you may find in the market are actually air coolers that have a peltier attached to the heatpipes, and an extra tower to cool the peltier itself. Most of the time there is no current going through the peltier, and you cool the CPU with the heatpipes and fins alone, but under heavy load or in the presence of spikes the peltier kicks to revert the trend. These coolers typically include a controller that monitors both the base plate and the ambient temp, to not only respond to CPU temps but also to the risk of condensation. A similar principle could be used to expand a custom water loop with a peltier.

All this makes these coolers more expensive, while not providing a benefit to most users.