Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

Good evening,

Firstly, I know the pain when it comes to this somewhat "locked in" apple-verse BS.

Though I do not know for sure if I have access to this exact model, I will see tomorrow and let you know for sure. I currently work for a company who may be pivoting towards becoming an apple oem hardware supplier. If I can make something happen, I for sure will.

Being an AASP I agree this sucks and is not morally right to do to their client based and repairing these screens are easy. All that is needed is the part in which case you might be able to find using an internet search. However to talk about what apple does it that they will straight up refuse a service if they notice that you have third party parts installed, water or internal damage. To get around this situation I propose taking it to a Geek Squad that is AASP in your area, DO NOT tell them you opened it up, when they discover you don't have any warranties that cover physical damage then they will send it out per a accidental cracked screen and might be costly but will get repaired by apple certified people with apple certified parts. The true reason why apple does this is a marketing strat to get you to spend more money into purchasing a new one. If they can find a reason to deny you they will so try not to give them one by saying you opened it up or worked on it in any sense. Good Luck let me know how you make out!

There are lots of iMac replacement screens on the market, and I see that a few people have linked to them but can we confirm that a 2009-2013 screen is fully compatible with the 2018 model? Is everything the same size, all 'holes' in the same positions?

I upgraded my OG Surface Pro about a year or so ago. Initially due to a cracked screen. The first part I got was the right size but a few things were in the wrong spot. I eventually found a matching part and went through the epic nightmare that is opening a Surface Pro, but there are a lot of parts out there labeled as good, based on poor information.

6 hours ago, Diglio said:

I am part of an AASP company, and certified in all Apple Devices for repairs, and I want to start by saying that it is quite a nightmare to go through Repairs and get parts needed for repairs. 

To start, just going through the process to get parts ordered takes forever. It doesn't matter if you know for certain which part is needed, you have to go through their troubleshooting guides which are both a nightmare in their wording, and send you in circles when it comes to testing. 

Second, I have done a repair for the iMac pro recently (within the past 3 weeks) and was able to get a Logic Board, Screen and Power Supply without issue. Granted I am in NYC so it is possible they had a supplier close by. The repair process was a pain (as are most Apple Repairs) and the turn around time you have to do the repair is only 10 days. That means from the moment you receive the part, you have 10 days to install it, serialize it in the system and send the old part back for shipping. 10 days doesn't seem like a short amount of time, but when the part you ordered requires other parts that are broken to test, 10 days flies by. 

Third, in my 5 years of doing Apple Repairs, I have never had them turn around and tell me they weren't able to receive the part and thus the repair would be decline. What most likely happened, and what I have seen in the past, is that the store had no certified employees for iMac Pro repairs, so none of them were able to order the needed parts. If that isn't the case, then you were straight up lied to. From the day the product is available for shipping, items are available for order (I have had this happen on multiple ocassions, including the day 1 release of the Mac Pro Trash Can video card recall). 

Lastly, the parts you need to replace are a complete pain. With Apple's new Security in-place, and with High Sierra, getting everything to function properly blows. There are issues with screen brightness, drives not running at proper speeds, etc.. I wouldn't be surprised if you do get this thing repaired, that you won't have issues at a later date. 

Hopefully you guys can find an AASP within a short drive of you to have the part(s) ordered and repaired. Granted, the repair cost for a screen, logic board and PSU are going to be pretty insane. 

I second that. I worked on an AASP I'm Brazil for 4 years as head technician and was responsible for parts acquisition. Their system is a nightmare. Often machines got stuck on the storage for months waiting for parts. 

That being said, Apple never refused providing us with even the most exotic parts, provided it was a machine within 5 years of initial release. 

Resorting to an AASP is the best solution, as they are the only authoritive channel for parts acquisition with Apple. But... As said above, buying a screen + logic board + power supply will be expensive af. Diglio is 100% accurate. 

Is it possible to buy the parts off of ebay from china and fix the imac yourself?  For me, I fixed my iphones buy ordering parts from ebay and such.

2 hours ago, kevdotcom said:

Wow, this thread is quite calming compared to the YouTube comments... Probably the most toxic comment section I've seen in a while.

I'd say bring the iMac to a retail store... They always try to help there.

When I brought my 200$ AIAIAI headphones there because they broke and wanted my money back, they immediately did so.

If you watched the video, they did bring it to a store and they REFUSE to fix it. 

I think you should try to disconnect the internal monitor picku up an external monitor and an adapter to replace the monitor of iMac and then try to check it

Hey Linus. 

I don't post much on the forums and normally just watch your content, but your recent video struck a little closer to home with me, as I am an Apple Certified Technician who works for an AASP in Canada and do know quite a bit about how the whole system works. 

I can't exactly speak to why an Apple Store declined service for your iMac Pro as Apple is definitely quite opaque when it comes to reasons for not being able to repair the product. 

In any case, Linus, I currently work for a chain in Canada that are all AASPs and I am incredibly certain that one of our locations is near to you. 

If you can get in contact with me either with a PM or an email I'd be more than happy to look personally into the situation and can contact the store closest to you and advise them. 

8 minutes ago, cooroxd said:

If you watched the video, they did bring it to a store and they REFUSE to fix it. 

Authorised apple service providers aren't exactly the same as bringing your Mac directly to Apple. AASPs are third party operators sanctioned by apple. The hqs usually don't touch many repairs, as they are focused on the run-of-the-mill repairs. 

Apple HQ Brazil often called on our aasp for help. 

7 hours ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

Linus,

I work at as an service technician at an Apple Authorized Service Provider and I can definitely agree that Apple has thrown people under the bus. In order to be authorized to order a genuine Apple part from their Global Service Exchange platform, at least one service technician within the AASP firm must have Apple certification to work on the device. If there is not a technician with the Apple certification necessary, the device must be shipped to Apple for a mail in repair. However, Apple does typically provide the training for each of their new products at or before its release date. As mentioned in your video, an AASP can, and likely will, lose its authorization to service Apple products if a part is sold directly to a customer, rather than being installed by the firm.

As far as advice, I would recommend taking the computer to an ASSP and having them mail the device in and create an escalation with Apple (a feature within their AASP software). This will likely bring the best result.

Best regards,

David 

11 minutes ago, Dahhavid said:

Linus,

I work at as an service technician at an Apple Authorized Service Provider and I can definitely agree that Apple has thrown people under the bus. In order to be authorized to order a genuine Apple part from their Global Service Exchange platform, at least one service technician within the AASP firm must have Apple certification to work on the device. If there is not a technician with the Apple certification necessary, the device must be shipped to Apple for a mail in repair. However, Apple does typically provide the training for each of their new products at or before its release date. As mentioned in your video, an AASP can, and likely will, lose its authorization to service Apple products if a part is sold directly to a customer, rather than being installed by the firm.

As far as advice, I would recommend taking the computer to an ASSP and having them mail the device in and create an escalation with Apple (a feature within their AASP software). This will likely bring the best result.

Best regards,

David 

Having in mind an escalation process would take from 30 days to forever. (at least in Brazil). Its good advice if you are not in a time table. 

It would only work out right if the aasp is proactively pressing the issue. 

if you semi mocking apple in your review, and have a huge PCMR fanbase, and have millions of subscribers on youtube, shouldnt be too surprised that apple refuse to fix your mac (plus that you voided the warranty 1st). 

ask all the other youtuber who apple will not give product sample to:  unbox therapy did not get a iphone x and got fed up. for eg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

if you semi mocking apple in your review, and have a huge PCMR fanbase, and have millions of subscribers on youtube, shouldnt be too surprised that apple refuse to fix your mac (plus that you voided the warranty 1st). 

ask all the other youtuber who apple will not give product sample to:  unbox therapy did not get a iphone x and got fed up. for eg

Would it be acceptable if they did the same thing to any other customer?  

If not, is it OK to do this to any customer that Apple just doesn't care for, for whatever reason?

Hi,

I work for an SSA (which is just an AASP that can only service their own equipment, not customers from the public) and have Apple repair certs. Let me start off by saying that the people posting 2009-2017 screens are idiots. Those screens are completely different from the ones on the iMac Pro or any modern iMac and won't even fit. Many (mainly 2009-2011 screens) are thicker than the iMac Pro itself. But more on topic,  This is an absolute disaster and I've dealt with it before.

Sometimes after a product comes out, Apple sometimes restricts parts if they are in high demand from manufacturing. Usually though this just means that the parts take longer to ship out, not that they flat out won't ship. But I think this is what you're going through with the parts themselves. Usually the certifications are put out before the product is completely launched, but I guess in this case they weren't. And that bit Apple in the behind.

I'd say that recently Apple is in a downward spiral with most of what they're doing. There's no excuse for the stupidity of having a certification that doesn't exist and parts that are flat out refused. That just goes over the line in my case.

Just my opinion though.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY AASP's PEOPLE HERE AT LTT FORUM?????

did apple send you guys???????

Fix it yourself!

I wouldnt trust any of the so called apple employees with 1 post

Hey Linus go to iFixit.com. They sell Mac parts and guide you to repair them yourself. Worth a look.

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

5ad6b545f08bd_ScreenShot2018-04-18at11_02_09AM.thumb.png.3f169f85782586fadb2d83e452e68d46.png

The dealership would be more than happy to make you pay through the nose to replace any part you wanted replaced.  

Have you even dealt with car dealerships?  There's almost nothing they wouldn't do for enough $.

this video is going to stir up some shit..... 

Actually aren’t the iMac pro and the 5K iMac sharing the same display I guess you can retro fit it .

7 hours ago, Private said:

Take it to another store somewhere else or in a different state/country etc.

sounds too simple and too good to be true, but sometimes really effective. 

55 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY AASP's PEOPLE HERE AT LTT FORUM?????

did apple send you guys???????

Maybe because some of us Apple fans/Apple employees actually like anything tech wise.  Myself included!  I love Apple first and foremost but I also love Windows, Linux, Kali Linux, Android, and many other tech stuff.  Not all Apple people are super fan boi's who hate everything not Apple.  That and Linus is freaking awesome!