Why is my laptop's GPU faster than my PC's one?

Saxioliken

Hey guys, I'm new here and have quite a bit of questions. Hopefully I will find all my answers on this forum!

So I have an Asus Republic of Gamers GL553V3 (https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL553VE/) with the specs:

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

And then there is my 2011 PC (components are OK and working at full functionality, but can't provide much info since I don't have a monitor available currently):

- AMD Twin Frozr II 2GB

I play PUBG and it moves at 60FPS on the laptop with the occasional frame drop, but on the computer it runs at around 40-50FPS with a lot of frame drops and sometimes the textures take a full 10 seconds to load. I have tweaked the settings in both the AMD and nVIDIA panel and also switched to the default settings, but it is still awful.

Why do you think that is? Also, if I need to provide any other components, just lmk.

The obvious answer would be that whatever graphics card the desktop has is slower than the laptop's 1050Ti.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

We would need to know ANYTHING about your desktop PC. Twin Frozr II is not what type of GPU you have, that's just the type of cooler. It's likely that your laptop is simply more powerful than your desktop. You did say yourself that your desktop parts are 7 years old, that's a long time for computery bits.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Judging by what you're saying, it sounds like the CPU in the desktop is holding the GPU back. And Twin Frozr 2 is not a graphics card.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Give us the specccccs. You did say the PC only had 2gb of VRAM, while the laptop has 4gb. This leads me to believe the laptop is simply more powerful.

it's time

The desktop card is likely an HD 7870 or 7850 (given the age, memory amount, and performance), which are significantly slower than a GTX 1050 Ti.  The additional VRAM that the 1050 Ti has helps a ton in newer games.

For a 2gb card you will likely end up at medium or low settings and 720p at most to get rid of the frame drops.

More than likely your desktop's GPU is weaker than your laptop's. Simple as that

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

@RollTime obviously those 4GB is shared memory, not the actual memory of the GPU, you couldn't fit that in a laptop. But I don't really know if it makes much of a difference

The PCs GPU is an AMD R7850 and it has an i5 CPU with 3.5 GHz (don't know the model, but it's 2011 stuff).

Just now, Saxioliken said:

@RollTime obviously those 4GB is shared memory, not the actual memory of the GPU, you couldn't fit that in a laptop. But I don't really know if it makes much of a difference

The PCs GPU is an AMD R7850 and it has an i5 CPU with 3.5 GHz (don't know the model, but it's 2011 stuff).

No, it is not shared.

1 minute ago, Saxioliken said:

Nah, it's a real 4GB of VRAM. They made 980m's and newer laptop GPU's with 8GB of VRAM, not shared.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

No, it is not shared.

It says so in my display adapter settings

Also I have the game on all low and the global settings in the AMD panel all on low

Can it really be that bad that with everything on low and no other processes running it sucks so much?

EDIT: CUT I was looking at the wrong one

Thanks guys I guess I got it. Can I make it faster without having to buy a new GPU?

Components are simply older and out of date, despite the form factor.  Generations of architectural improvements happened since 2011.

If you'd like to know more about why, techquickie probably has more answers.  One of the big factors is instructions per cycle CPUs and GPUs can do now.

Thanks guys I guess I got it. Can I make it faster without having to buy a new GPU?

You can if you overclock it.

1 minute ago, Snapperx said:

You can if you overclock it.

I don't know much about this. Is there like a thread about it?

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

A new GPU is going to give you the most benefit.  

I know but I can barely afford one new RAM stick (is it c alled a stick?), let a lone a new GPU. Will more RAM compensate so it can at least be playable?

I know but I can barely afford one new RAM stick (is it c alled a stick?), let a lone a new GPU. Will more RAM compensate so it can at least be playable?

Look for a tutorial on youtube.

Yes it is called a stick and it might help a little bit (depending on the game and your current system) but you wont really see a huge improvement in games without upgrading your GPU.

If you want to know for sure if RAM or GPU is your bottleneck you can try running MSI afterburner during PUBG and see what is maxing out usage.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If you want to know for sure if RAM or GPU is your bottleneck you can try running MSI afterburner during PUBG and see what is maxing out usage.

I will do that tomorrow when I get to my monitor back

Also do you think it could be underperforming because of something like bad airflow caused by dust? Last time it got cleaned well was around 2 years ago when I also bought a new case with better airflow. The guys there took the GPU and fricken slapped all the dust out of it. Don't know if it was the best idea but it still works.

Do you think I should take it to be cleaned and also put thermal paste on the CPU?

I will do that tomorrow when I get to my monitor back

Also do you think it could be underperforming because of something like bad airflow caused by dust? Last time it got cleaned well was around 2 years ago when I also bought a new case with better airflow. The guys there took the GPU and fricken slapped all the dust out of it. Don't know if it was the best idea but it still works.

Do you think I should take it to be cleaned and also put thermal paste on the CPU?

It doesn't hurt to give your computer a good cleaning anyway, but you don't have to guess.  If you see your CPU thermal throttling in afterburner you'll know.

3 minutes ago, linustechtipscom said:

according to future mark(GPU benchmark) your laptop's GPU is 49% faster than you desktop's GPU. 

Yeah I just saw too. That's a shame, I used to think of this computer as the ultimate beast PC and never got any issues with it a few years ago.

Thanks for all guys ;)