Private Internet Access (Pre-Roll Landing Page)

CPotter
2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

I just bought a Nord VPN subscription. Should I switch to PIA? I've heard good things about both so I'm unsure.

I had PIA for a few years, late last year my speeds started tanking and I was having connection issues. I was also unable to use it over UDP at my Uni for the whole time I used it. I switched to Nordvpn and everything's been good since, including connecting at my Uni over UDP. The only thing I miss is the native Linux client.

I don't know much about PIA, other than that they got a good reputation. And if it wasn't because I already had a subscription at NordVPN (which is a fantastic provider) I would give PIA a chance. 

You know you're an aviation dork when every time you see the phrase "PIA", you think Pakistan International Airways.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If PIA can help me access US, UK and Canada Netflix then sure. But if not, I'll stick to PrivateVPN ($50/year, 56 countries) or ExpressVPN if I have more money ($100/year, 94 countries) which can get around Netflix's VPN blocks and both implement perfect forward secrecy. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

PIA cant help you access netflix for geo-locked content. Heres an Article about them releasing their new policy stating this. 

3 hours ago, Conchusness said:

PIA cant help you access netflix for geo-locked content. Heres an Article about them releasing their new policy stating this. 

A while ago,

Private Internet Access released a new policy stating that it does not support geo-locked content. This caused considerable confusion as well as panic and disappointment among its users, which is understandable considering that viewing geo-locked content is one of the main reasons they subscribed to the service in the first place.

Eh?

16 hours ago, NickSamNam said:

Not too shabby! (200/200 fiber)

image.png.854ef85ec2bbe0398e8cd0cddabb8d0e.png

First thing I did after I connected. I have 100/100 fibre and was getting 94/80 (WHICH IS MY NORMAL SPEED!) With TB my speed would drop by about 60% regardless of region selected. They really hit the nail on the head with this one. 

They managed to pick a good one, supposedly, that is also one of the cheapest.

But the real question is, does it work with Netflix?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone further elaborate why someone should pick PIA over NordVPN and vice versa? Since PIA is based in the USA and Nordvpn is based in Panama I am wondering if NordVPN is the safer choice. I would assume both would do a fairly good job at encrypting the websites and data from ISPs. 

• 4 weeks later...

On a different note why does the swedish tax administration on 137.59.252.143:8080 have to connect/ping my computer 8 times a second when im on there network and if I block it I can't use the vpn?????

I guess what im asking is is the STA collecting records of everyone who is using the service?

On 4/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, Mr.Bison said:

I would assume both would do a fairly good job at encrypting the websites and data from ISPs. 

PIA is an American Company (the same problem that Tunnelbear was going to have with MacAffee owning it) and therefore is obliged to provide some amount of logging to any governmental agency such as the FBI, NSA etc if they had a subpoena. 

In theory NordVPN does not collect any logging whatsoever (allegedly because the Panamanian Authorities do not require VPNs to keep logs) and the only information they have is email address and billing address. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 4/9/2018 at 9:19 PM, leosky said:

They managed to pick a good one, supposedly, that is also one of the cheapest.

But the real question is, does it work with Netflix?

Not a chance. Tried PIA once before it was LMG’s sponsor and it can’t circumvent the VPN blocks imposed by Netflix. Only a handful of VPNs can truly unblock Netflix 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Not a chance. Tried PIA once before it was LMG’s sponsor and it can’t circumvent the VPN blocks imposed by Netflix. Only a handful of VPNs can truly unblock Netflix 

Yeah this is a known limitation of PIA.  NordVPN apparently can do it however

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Got PIA around 2 weeks ago, overall I'm happy so far. Works fine on Windows and iOS, however OS X app crashed once and refused to work until I restarted my computer (which I rarely do). As stated above, it doesn't work with Netflix but it does with some geo-locked content. 

I've just been going through captchas ("I'm not a robot") more often than I used to.

PS: Speeds (120/20 fibre, Videotron)

5af793edbdc31_ScreenShot2018-05-12at9_22_22PM.thumb.png.0ab7ca82cabfd1db4fc8502139e7b4f2.png5af793eeb88b8_ScreenShot2018-05-12at9_23_13PM.thumb.png.9c31098e2c810e03c9a29338826c2ce5.png

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / Noctua NH-D15 / Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 / 2x16GB XPG 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM / Radeon VII / 1TB Intel 660p SSD / Acer ED322Q / Acer ET322QU / Corsair Carbide 275R

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7405 2-in-1: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 / 512GB NVM.e

whats the highest anyone has seen when using PIA . i got 1gbps fiber im tempted to get it just am wondering if anyone has seen speeds above 2-300mbps with PIA enable . US to EU ect

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

I recently switched to PIA from Tunnel Bear as my subscription ran out.  I do a lot of work overseas, so a VPN is a must have for both security and access content. 

I have to say, PIA is a much cleaner experience than TB and it's cheaper.  I found TB tried too much to be cute with their GUI, however it caused a lot of crashes both on Windows and Android.  PIA is a lot more stable.

I am tring PIA now and support sucks big time. I write them with a specific problem providing all the standard information needed. The first reply was basically a standard reply saying "it is not our problem" showing they did not even bother reading what i asked them and closing the email with

"We appreciate you being an intricate member of the PIA family".

I dont think is a good sign when somebody call you "intricate"

I replied basically restating my problem. The answer was asking me basic information, some i told them already in the first email.

Let's see when i will be able to get somebody from the technical service to consider me.

For sure I had better experiences with other vpn services in terms of support.

Eventually i managed to get the answer i needed. I had to go back to my previous vpn for my very specific need but i have to admit that for the price is a great vpn that works very well and i am sorry i cannot use it. Just, the support should be more on point 

• 1 month later...

Does anybody knows a way to "exclude" gaming ports so I can play games with my line and use PIA for normal browsing? having fibers and using nearby servers I don't have problem loading youtube videos or websites but online I have a lot of lags and if I turn off/on every time I often forgot :/

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

• 1 month later...

I tried it wasn't that impressed with the speeds, have a 330/330 fibre line in BC and even at best settings that got cleaved down to 100/100

Ended up returning it, as without a pfSense router or other methods to increase the speed it just wasn't happening.

Also data tests to their network was 320/320 in Vancouver, and was a 70% performance loss

On 5/11/2018 at 10:29 PM, AluminiumTech said:

PIA is an American Company (the same problem that Tunnelbear was going to have with MacAffee owning it) and therefore is obliged to provide some amount of logging to any governmental agency such as the FBI, NSA etc if they had a subpoena. 

In theory NordVPN does not collect any logging whatsoever (allegedly because the Panamanian Authorities do not require VPNs to keep logs) and the only information they have is email address and billing address. 

On 4/19/2018 at 3:29 AM, Mr.Bison said:

Can anyone further elaborate why someone should pick PIA over NordVPN and vice versa? Since PIA is based in the USA and Nordvpn is based in Panama I am wondering if NordVPN is the safer choice. I would assume both would do a fairly good job at encrypting the websites and data from ISPs. 

If the VPN server is located in country like US, US government can still monitor and get their servers seize even if they don't keep any logs. A company location doesn't really effect that much but information such as billing address and credit card though but you if are looking to for extra privacy you shouldn't be giving VPN company your real address and credit details anyways.

Basically any VPN server under a certain country is still under it country laws but if server is probably setup it should be fine and most VPN don't gain much from logging as it require more server cost but you still can sell customers traffic data but then you will lose your customer base and trust.

Magical Pineapples

On 7/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, Trentonxx said:

Does anybody knows a way to "exclude" gaming ports so I can play games with my line and use PIA for normal browsing? having fibers and using nearby servers I don't have problem loading youtube videos or websites but online I have a lot of lags and if I turn off/on every time I often forgot :/

You need pfsense or similar router which offer firewall rules/routing which most consumer router don't offer. I have my setup, where certain traffic goes through normal internet while rest goes through a selected VPN provider.

If you have pfsense you just need setup firewall rule where certain port will goes through normal internet gateway(under advanced) while other goes to default gateway which should be a VPN provider.

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, crainingaming said:

I just have a question, I know this thread is sort of old but still, can I play games and stream with the VPN on? or do I have to turn it off every time?

I believe so, you may drop more frames than normal while streaming w/ VPN however.