Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Don't see anything wrong with that. It's a tank and probably handles the snow quite well. With the proper tires, most cars are totally manageable in winter conditions. ;) My 89 Supra with a set of snows was amazing in the slippery stuff. 

Yes, I get notifications when tagged. ;) 

Sounds like a cool project for the RSX. Keep us updated if you move ahead with it. 

As for the 2.5L - don't bother. Those engines weren't really designed for "performance" even though that's how they are marketed. They make good mid-range torque which is nice, but that's only really good for diving in traffic on the street. I suspect the heads don't flow all that great and that's probably where they are hitting the power wall. Not a great engine to build up, IMO. 

If you're looking for more power, have you considered going turbo or SC? Or do you want to stay NA? 

Would be more work, but there's the Honda F20C from the S2000 as another option?

the 2.5 head actually flows better than the 2.0 head.  the cams are the limiting factor.  the problem is the miata is generally an old man car, and nobody makes a proper set of cams for it, I've only seen results for either very mild cams or full on race cams that don't make any power under 4k.  There are cams for the Duratech which is basically the same engine, but then I'd have to ditch VVT which I don't want to do.

I'm gonna wait a bit more and see if they figure out how to make power going the NA route with this engine.  if I don't see the results I want I'm gonna go with an internally stock 2.5 and put a Kraftwerks SC on it.  Main reason I'd prefer to stay NA is mostly because of belt issues.  Everyone that has the Kraftwerks kit on an NC goes through belts about every 10k with street use.  And I track my car, so it'll be more often than that for me.  And general wear and tear is less on an NA engine...  and cooling is always more of an issue with boost.

A honda engine swap would be awesome but really expensive.  and I'd go with a K24 over the F20/22.  nobody's done it for the NC so it'd be all custom parts to get it to work and figuring out all the wiring myself and I have no desire to do that even if I was willing to spend the money.

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah the tags as edits work just fine.

rally tires: http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?44530-Rally-Tires!-All-available-brands!-Where-to-buy-them-Rim-sizes-Country-of-origin (ignore the sizes, if you go to the websites you'll see different ones)

the RSX as a rallycross car would be pretty sweet. Rally is hard though... keep that in mind lol

yeah I feel like a supercharger or small turbo would be the way to go on your miata. Why not a small turbo? I mean it really doesn't matter, and the supercharger setup is a bit more simple but you'll get more power out of a turbo because it's more efficient. 

Rally is fun though :D

I don't wanna go turbo for the reason the mighty car mods guys said, there's always that lag between your foot and the engine, with a supercharger there's no lag since it's driven off a belt.   The SC can easily make the power I want, so that's not an issue for me between turbo and SC. 

That and turbos put off a lot more heat in the engine bay compared to an SC therefore making cooling a bigger issue

for a street car I'd go turbo, for a rwd track car I prefer SC. I'd prolly go turbo on fwd though and definitely on awd

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Sad story: A friend of mine from high school built up a WS6 Trans-Am with a big single turbo on an LS7 making just shy of 900 whp. Unfortunately when he was dialing the car in he had a fuel pressure loss, so he called a tow to bring it back home. Someone cut the tow truck off and the car ended up falling off of the truck on the highway. :(

The car was obviously a total loss. 

Wow is that a really sad story.

41 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

@Maybach123 you are on tv!

lol, what am i saying?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

13 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

lol, what am i saying?

Fry's threesome is now a onesome.

Hey, where is fry?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

5 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

5 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No need for the lenny face, it was sexual.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

16 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Hey, where is fry?

is that the episode where the girls drink the nectar? 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

is that the episode where the girls drink the nectar? 

Yup.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I kind of like the new Micra. Its tiny, but it gets styling cues from the new GTR and body lines from the Sport Sedan Concept. Plus at < $10,000 CAD nothing really touches it.

@MEC-777

smqtoyqu8zejratudyzs.jpg

Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

19 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Yup.

I just realized i might watch a little to much futurama xD 

9 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I just realized i might watch a little to much futurama xD 

Nah.... You can not watch too much futurama.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I got a new PC at work, my home PC developed an inferiority complex.

here are the specs:

Asus X99 mobo - not sure which model

Intel i7-6800K 6 core (but on a stock intel cpu cooler, I didn't even know there were stock cpu coolers for the X99 platform???)

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

@bcredeur97 @vinyldash303 @terrytek @chaozbandit

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

here are the specs:

Intel i7-6800K 6 core (but on a stock intel cpu cooler, I didn't even know there were stock cpu coolers for the X99 platform???)

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

I didn't think they came with stock coolers either, never heard of a 2011 chip with an Intel cooler

22 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

here are the specs:

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

Nice, my friend recently overhauled his system as well because of a stupid good deal. Also an Asus x99 board with a 6800k, h100i and titan x. Meanwhile I'm still clinging onto am3+ and praying am4 isn't a bust lol

Guess you'll be spending more time wt work now, 

Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

36 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I didn't think they came with stock coolers either, never heard of a 2011 chip with an Intel cooler

I actually have one on my home PC. They work Decent. @warmmilk

(old pic)

image.jpeg

[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

While I was voting, the Focus made a friend! Lol

2016-11-08%2016.51.49_zpsqacugect.jpg

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

2016-11-08%2016.51.49_zpsqacugect.jpg

They make such a sweet couple

[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

53 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

here are the specs:

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

That's expensive. :o

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Aww, the lawn mower likes you.

30 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Nice, my friend recently overhauled his system as well because of a stupid good deal. Also an Asus x99 board with a 6800k, h100i and titan x. Meanwhile I'm still clinging onto am3+ and praying am4 isn't a bust lol

Guess you'll be spending more time wt work now, 

naw, no games on work pc...

13 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I actually have one on my home PC. They work Decent. @warmmilk

(old pic)

image.jpeg

ok, so my work pc is like this as well with both ram dimms on one side...  shouldn't it me one stick on each side?  thats what it was like on my old X78 system.  or does the manual specifically state its faster when they're both on one side like this?

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

That's expensive. :o

they don't mess around at work, can't have the hardware slowing me down... 

Gotta have those bajillion Excel spreadsheets open yo

8 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

naw, no games on work pc...

ok, so my work pc is like this as well with both ram dimms on one side...  shouldn't it me one stick on each side?  thats what it was like on my old X78 system.  or does the manual specifically state its faster when they're both on one side like this?

If you have two sticks, they go in DIMM a and DIMM b, wherever those happen to be.

21 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Gotta have those bajillion Excel spreadsheets open yo

revit and autocad.  mostly revit these days.  I have up to 4 instances of revit open at one time.  I've maxed out 16gb of ram before

14 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

If you have two sticks, they go in DIMM a and DIMM b, wherever those happen to be.

makes sense... I guess I'm kinda assuming a and b are on opposite sides for symmetry and all.  and it puts them physically closer to the cpu

revit and autocad.  mostly revit these days.  I have up to 4 instances of revit open at one time.  I've maxed out 16gb of ram before

Fancy

makes sense... I guess I'm kinda assuming a and b are on opposite sides for symmetry and all.  and it puts them physically closer to the cpu

It depends how the motherboard maker set up the lanes to work with the cpu. It varies by board so the best thing is to always read the manual and see where they suggest you put X sticks.