Is wii still worth it?

I wanted to is Nintendo Wii still worth it in 2018.I want to buy it to play Skylanders games because they cant be played on PC,i know graphics are not good and the console is old,but i really want to play all Skylanders game.I also know that Wii U is better but no money for that,I can get the Wii for around 45-50$ so i think its a great deal.

Absolutely. The Wii is the best console ever made (not a joke).

People who are older than me will probably disagree to this, now that I think about it...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

People who are older than me will probably disagree to this, now that I think about it...

Thanks dude

I have like 40 skylanders sat here and 3 games for Wii that I cant sell !!!!!

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Worth the price especially of you jail break it 

I will try ;-)

13 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I have like 40 skylanders sat here and 3 games for Wii that I cant sell !!!!!

That sucks dude,but can you tell me are graphics really that bad like people say(dont get me wrong graphics are not that important but gameplay is),or even better if you could insert a picture of it in the reply?

4 minutes ago, lka said:

That sucks dude,but can you tell me are graphics really that bad like people say(dont get me wrong graphics are not that important but gameplay is),or even better if you could insert a picture of it in the reply?

I cant as the wii went a long time ago, that was replaced with a Wii U, and that has also gone and replaced with a Switch, I just have some left over wii/wii u games, Disney infinity and skylanders left, were all my daughters 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

I cant as the wii went a long time ago, that was replaced with a Wii U, and that has also gone and replaced with a Switch, I just have some left over wii/wii u games, Disney infinity and skylanders left, were all my daughters 

Ok,but were graphics that bad?

8 minutes ago, lka said:

Ok,but were graphics that bad?

doesn't matter, skylanders was the same on wii and wii u

Ryzen Ram Guide

Just now, stealth80 said:

doesn't matter, skylanders was the same on wii and wii u

Thanks for a reply

Just now, lka said:

Thanks for a reply

my point is if you like the game buy it, skylanders was the same graphics on both as my daughter transferred her wii game to her wii u, only difference was she could use the separate screen and it maybe had a few more FPS (not proven, just guessing)

Ryzen Ram Guide

13 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

my point is if you like the game buy it, skylanders was the same graphics on both as my daughter transferred her wii game to her wii u, only difference was she could use the separate screen and it maybe had a few more FPS (not proven, just guessing)

Thanks

1 hour ago, lka said:

I wanted to is Nintendo Wii still worth it in 2018.I want to buy it to play Skylanders games because they cant be played on PC,i know graphics are not good and the console is old,but i really want to play all Skylanders game.I also know that Wii U is better but no money for that,I can get the Wii for around 45-50$ so i think its a great deal.

Get a WiiU.

YOu can play everything the Wii can, have an HDMI port without hacks and you can play every Wii game as well as the 5 WiiU games that are great (Tokyo Mirage FE, Hyrule Warriors, Zelde BOTW, New Mario Bros + Mario Wörld 3D).

The WiiU should come with a sensorbar but you need a Wii Mote + Nunchuck...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, lka said:

It's 480p but a great game at 480p is a much better experience than a good game at 4k. 

If you do get a Wii make sure to get one with the Gamecube controller port and memory card slot on the top/side.  Component cables are way cheaper and Wiis are super cheap to begin with.  Its a very viable way to play GCN games at a cheap price with a better quality image.  GC is still great but HDMI modding it typically runs $150 and the componet cables are outrageous.

As for the Wii's library there are definitely kick ass titles to check out.  Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, The Last Story, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Pikmin 2 (if you can't find it on GCN), Super Smash Bros Brawl (still the only way to play as Snake ;)), Wii Sports Resort, Punch Out Wii, Okami, Zack & Wiki, Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda Skyward Sword (needs motion plus also dirt cheap add on and built into some wiimotes), Dead Space Extraction, Ghost Squad.

There is alot of crap and shovelware but alot of gems too.

On 3/2/2018 at 1:17 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Get a WiiU.

YOu can play everything the Wii can, have an HDMI port without hacks and you can play every Wii game as well as the 5 WiiU games that are great (Tokyo Mirage FE, Hyrule Warriors, Zelde BOTW, New Mario Bros + Mario Wörld 3D).

The WiiU should come with a sensorbar but you need a Wii Mote + Nunchuck...

Add Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.  Two of the best JRPGs on the Wii/Wii U.

Also, Metroid Prime Trilogy.  There where some nice gems on both systems.

Now if the OP gets one of the older Wiis that can play Gamecube games, that opens even up more gems from that system.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Add Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.  Two of the best JRPGs on the Wii/Wii U.

I'm not too fond of Xenoblade Chronicles X, seems very Grindy and I'm kinda stuck in the beginning (when you need 15% Survey Rate or so)...

There was also a Monster Hunter on the WiiU and also Ninja Gaiden.

But that kinda sucks with the enormous WiiU gamepad.

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Also, Metroid Prime Trilogy.  There where some nice gems on both systems.

Yeah, but that's on Wii, not WiiU. So its probably something he'd like to play anyway...

Another Thing that could be interesting are both Zelda HD Remakes.

There are some Games I forgot to mention like Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Wooly World and some others also.

The WiiU with the Display on the Gamepad was interesting, sadly it was too little, too late for too much money.

A couple of years earlier and it would have been a Hit...

With the Wii I kinda really don't like the game controllers with that Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Doesn't feel right, don't like it. Though it is kinda interesting...

The Wii is a peculiar system. I had one from Day 1 my freshman year of university. We played it a lot that year and in 2007, but fifteen games or so later by 2009, I hardly ever played it. It still holds up as a good party game for games like Wii Sports or "Smarty Pants" (even though some of the popculture trivia has become dated), and the controller is a definite novelty but the graphical hardware leaves a lot to be desired for me to even plug the system in unless there's company. You'll probably get your money's worth out of Skylander alone.

The system itself... I have a love/hate with it. It was a hell of a lot of fun for the first two years, and as a major childhood Nintendo fan, it sold a lot, but Nintendo really screwed themselves over making the system vastly underpowered to the 360/PS3 by basing it on derivative ~2001 Gamecube architecture. It kept the system from maintaining third party support, forced them to release the WiiU prematurely, and ultimately punted this generation up until the Switch - leading to the Switch releasing now, making it into another Wii techwise... which leads me to be really pessimistic about the Switch. I never thought it would do this well because we've seen this cycle before and the Switch just doesn't have the hardware longevity for $60 games by 202X.

Still though, like a Switch ten years from now, or a Wii right now, for $50, you can't really go wrong at all with it. You'd be much better off with a Wii with 30 great to stellar games than the same price of a Switch+Mario, for example. And with used prices that low, a Wii + It's current cheap library will likely hold its value if you want to sell it in a few years.

3 hours ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

forced them to release the WiiU prematurely, and ultimately punted this generation up until the Switch

Well, no. Not really.

The WiiU should have been planned for something like 2010.

But the problem with the hardware remained. The WiiU wasn't really better than the last gen consoles like 360 or PS3, it just had a bit more memory...

But the WiiU hardware should have been closer to the Wii release and have been way before the Playstatio 4 and Xbox One...

In the end the Wii had the low price and the controller, the hardware was pretty shitty for the time.

The WiiU had neither, although it was an interesting concept. But the Tablet Controller could have been way better...

I know that I was in a store about a year or two ago wanting to buy a WiiU (before I bought the PS4 PRO) - but then I saw the price!
And looked online for a cheaper one - and didn't find anything...
So I bought a PS4 PRO for ~50€ more than the WiiU...

Find the right games to play as alot of the wii games sold are downright terrible. The zelda games were no doubt a fun series IMO for the wii.  Oh if you are expecting to play games online, don't as tons of official online support for wii games have gone haywire. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, no. Not really.

The WiiU should have been planned for something like 2010.

But the problem with the hardware remained. The WiiU wasn't really better than the last gen consoles like 360 or PS3, it just had a bit more memory...

Well yeah, I'll give you that. What I meant was more the WiiU didn't need to exist at all - it was released prematurely because the Wii really showed its age by ~2010, whereas the 360/PS3 did not. Had the Wii had the power of the 360 or PS3, and retailed for $550 in 2006, it would have lasted until 2014 fairly okay and Nintendo wouldn't have bled third party support enmass. And then they could have put that R&D for the WiiU into getting the Swtich out with the Tegra x1 chip in 2015 rather than 2017.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:40 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Having my childhood in the 2000s (born in early 2000), I must attest to this. The wii is a good console even today. With plenty of fun games.
I unfortunately have lost many of my games for my Wii. Mainly I think I want to eventually get: Mario Party 8, Mario Kart Wii, and some other games I can't exactly think of right now.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The wii is worth it just for Mario Kart and Wii Sports.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz