Activision made $4 billion US in 2017 in micro-transactions

GoodBytes

Good for them. 

Wait until these companies realize than can make more money with less costs this way. Enjoy while it lasts.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:34 AM, raphidy said:

Wow, that's some good money. I think think the whole reason I never had to pay for MTX is because I mostly play single player game. Thank god.

Its a smaller % of games that need you to purchase micro transactions. Very Few AAA games Make you pay for more then Cosmetics but it does seem to be heading that way one day. Hopefully the star wars backlash Keeps devs away from Advantages gained from Payment. 

2 hours ago, SOBstick said:

I'll just put this here.

I havent seen this one but ive seen Comparisons on why games should cost more. Honestly after debating it over the years ive come to the conclusion Games dont need to go up very much at all. Maybe $10. but at the end of the day making a Great game is the only way to make real money. Look at Pubg  its $29.99  its Made over 1 Billion in sales or Just a tad under now. They started with a very low budget Cost under 30 Million to launch the game. and have made30x there money in profit ( Yeah they seem like they will spend a good chunk Supporting the game as well though)  it was a game at Half Priced at launch.  Making a cookie cutter FPS with crap story and eh mutiplayer Might only break even at $60 but id argue its not the price of the game its the Game Quality. 

Theres a valid argument on both sides of this equation

There is WAY more people buying games so the market of possible sales has grown. 

Game Companies are at VERY healthy profits looking at all AAA quartley profits and stock markets. 

Computers and Programs have grown exponentially Being much better at making games 

Way more Employees that are trained in making a game makes the Pay go down compared to years ago Supply Vs Demand

Digital distribution no longer needing to make physical Property ( Games could be cheaper digital but MS and Sony keep it MSRP due to not wanting to piss off the people who carry there physical consoles. 

Day 1 Updates help your ROI since you can ship the game and or Let people play or download it before its even ready to launch  

Testing for bugs and problems is not as  hard because they just ship the game and let everyone else find many and just update it. before they were permanent bugs.