7800x or 8700k, what a first world question.

7800x or 8700k  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Question of the year

• 7800x

First off, I do have a psu capable of driving a 7800x (AX860) and a full custom loop for cooling it.  Heat is not really an issue here.

Both chips will live in either ROG, prime, taichi or TUF boards of similar quality ie. the 300-400 CAD 250-350 usd range, though a decent z370 board for sub 250 CAD would be doable, driving down the cost a lot.

With all that out of the way the 7820x is actually cheaper, more upgradeable, more interesting and all around fun to play with.  I also buy into an HEDT platform.  But it seems an 8700k may actually perform better...  so what do you think? X299 or Z370?  I'm strongly leaning towards X299.

Please tag anyone with either experience with both chips, a possible angle im missjng or general mobo knowledge.

@MageTank @done12many2 @dave_k @Princess Cadence @CUDA_Cores

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Do you really mean 7820X (8 core) or did you mean 7800X (6 core)? The latter is more price comparable to the 8700k, although mobos will cost a little more. Or are you looking at severely elevated pricing for the 8700k due to current shortage?

If you want max high fps gaming potential, hold out of the 8700k. Compute wise, either the 7800X or 7820X should do well there, more so in future if apps make use of AVX-512, plus the extra ram bandwidth might help against possible bottlenecks. File that last bit under "it depends on the app".

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7820X easily as if the chip is cheaper than the 8700K (which seems to be the case), it means that you can get a "better" (i.e. more expensive) motherboard for the same overall price :P.

Not to mention how its 8C/16T vs 6C/12T, especially how the 7820X is Skylake after-all meaning clock-for-clock, they should be similar in performance.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

7820X easily as if the chip is cheaper than the 8700K (which seems to be the case), it means that you can get a "better" (i.e. more expensive) motherboard for the same overall price :P.

Not to mention how its 8C/16T vs 6C/12T, especially how the 7820X is Skylake after-all meaning clock-for-clock, they should be similar in performance.

Note subject is 7800X, poll is 7820X, one is likely a typo.

Also Skylake-X isn't exactly comparable to desktop Skylake, due to the new cache structure. It seems to hurt it in high fps gaming results even when clock matched and cache overclocked.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Also Skylake-X isn't exactly comparable to desktop Skylake, due to the new cache structure. It seems to hurt it in high fps gaming results even when clock matched and cache overclocked.

Gaming wise, that is true however for other things, it seems to be pretty similar from what I've seen.

Just now, porina said:

Did he just edit the title? I'm pretty sure it was 7820X for both title, poll and main post :P 

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Do you really mean 7820X (8 core) or did you mean 7800X (6 core)? The latter is more price comparable to the 8700k, although mobos will cost a little more. Or are you looking at severely elevated pricing for the 8700k due to current shortage?

If you want max high fps gaming potential, hold out of the 8700k. Compute wise, either the 7800X or 7820X should do well there, more so in future if apps make use of AVX-512, plus the extra ram bandwidth might help against possible bottlenecks. File that last bit under "it depends on the app".

Woops, 7800x.  Autocorrect amiright? Thanks for the input.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Gaming wise, that is true however for other things, it seems to be pretty similar from what I've seen.

Did he just edit the title? I'm pretty sure it was 7820X for both title, poll and main post :P 

7800x m8

3 minutes ago, porina said:

What kind of a difference are we talk g about?  I'm coming from zen so I don't really care about super high fps gaming.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I meant 7800x, autocorrect is screwing me.

Just now, Damascus said:

7800x m8

Just now, Damascus said:

I meant 7800x, autocorrect is screwing me.

I don't think I needed to be quoted twice regarding the same thing :P 

Anyway, in that case, I guess its down to your use case? What do you do with your computer? Any chances you'll upgrade again in the future (for more cores)? Is the 7800X being HEDT beneficial or just for bragging rights? 

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

What kind of a difference are we talk g about?  I'm coming from zen so I don't really care about super high fps gaming.

*insert how someone has too much money* - coming from the person who upgraded just because they wanted a blue and white build+watercooling,,,(in my defense, I was going to have multiple VMs running but damn internet connection didn't turn out to be what I was expecting).

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

When Skylake-X first came out, it was tested against 7700k, and at equal CPU clocks there was a measurable difference between them, to 7700k's benefit. Overclocking the cache helped close it a bit, but didn't eliminate it. For details, it is probably best to look up gaming reviews from its launch as I can only go by my somewhat unreliable memory. If you don't care about high fps gaming (like 120 or 144 Hz displays) it wont make any difference. Even if it does make a difference, it isn't that huge, but it is there.

Anyway, in that case, I guess its down to your use case? What do you do with your computer? Any chances you'll upgrade again in the future (for more cores)? Is the 7800X being HEDT beneficial or just for bragging rights? 

I'll eventually get a many core behemoth, maybe a 7900x (10c/20t is the sweet spot imo) I use my pc for gaming (mostly pubg) and CAD, thus me having a zen chip for renders. Besides all that, HEDT is durable and will also well into the next massive paradigm shift.

I just utterly despise my current mobo and a friend wants to buy my mobo/cpu/backup RAM off of me for his streaming so I'll happily get an upgrade.

*insert how someone has too much money* - coming from the person who upgraded just because they wanted a blue and white build+watercooling,,,(in my defense, I was going to have multiple VMs running but damn internet connection didn't turn out to be what I was expecting).

Lelz, I'm going for a silver + black build here, want to use that primochill VUE. 

7820x > 8700k > 7800x

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

@porina yeah, I'm aware that it won't perform as well as an 8700k in gaming but I really like the extra RAM compatibility and future upgradeabilty of X299.

Just now, Damascus said:

I'll eventually get a many core behemoth, maybe a 7900x (10c/20t is the sweet spot imo) I use my pc for gaming (mostly pubg) and CAD, thus me having a zen chip for renders. Besides all that, HEDT is durable and will also well into the next massive paradigm shift.

I just utterly despise my current mobo and a friend wants to buy my mobo/cpu/backup RAM off of me for his streaming so I'll happily get an upgrade.

In that case, you might as well save yourself some monies and time and get the 7800X, especially how you've already got someone waiting to buy your current Mobo and CPU plus you don't care about FPS (to a point).

do you have a need for 18 cores or do you see yourself with a need for something like that down the line? if yes get the 7900x, if not get the 8700K because its going to win in games 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

26 minutes ago, Damascus said:

First off, I do have a psu capable of driving a 7800x (AX860) and a full custom loop for cooling it.  Heat is not really an issue here.

Both chips will live in either ROG, prime, taichi or TUF boards of similar quality ie. the 300-400 CAD 250-350 usd range, though a decent z370 board for sub 250 CAD would be doable, driving down the cost a lot.

With all that out of the way the 7820x is actually cheaper, more upgradeable, more interesting and all around fun to play with.  I also buy into an HEDT platform.  But it seems an 8700k may actually perform better...  so what do you think? X299 or Z370?  I'm strongly leaning towards X299.

Please tag anyone with either experience with both chips, a possible angle im missjng or general mobo knowledge.

@MageTank @done12many2 @dave_k @Princess Cadence @CUDA_Cores

Unless you absolutely need the memory bandwidth from quad channel, and additional PCIe lanes, the 8700k is superior. You do not have to deal with the new cache hierarchy, the HCC write memory bandwidth issue (it's write efficiency is plagued for some reason, @done12many2 and the rest of my buddies have been trying to figure out why, but cannot put our finger on exactly the cause), and the nearly impossible to control thermals (without investing in a custom loop, or compromising heavily on clocks compared to the 8700k). 

If you need more threads for the raw lifting power later on, invest in a dedicated server, as multi-socket Xeon's are cheap on Ebay for a ton of threads. Getting the right tools for the job is key to maintaining the best performance possible. Trying to make one thing do it all is not only expensive, it's still inferior to the proper dedicated tools. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

@MageTank thanks for the thoroigh input, I don't do anything that needs more than 8 ish logical cores atm aside from rendering, a task that the 7800x seems up to the task of.

I basically want a board that will last me a good 3+ years and still hold value. I'm tired of investing in mediocre mobos - I'd rather get one fantastic mobo with a good ugrade path and use it for several years, upgrading chip and RAM as needed than repeat my current pattern of buying new mobos every time I upgrade.

13 minutes ago, MageTank said:

without investing in a custom loop, or compromising heavily on clocks compared to the 8700k

I actually have a loop, it'll soon have 2 240mm and 1 360mm rad, temps are absolutely a non issue.  I'll be delidding no matter what as well.

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I actually have a loop, it'll soon have 2 240mm and 1 360mm rad, temps are absolutely a non issue.  I'll be delidding no matter what as well.

Sounds like HEDT may be right for you.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Sounds like HEDT may be right for you.

I feel kinda stupid about that actually, my nh-d14 can passively cool my 1700 with 0 issues so the loop is just being used to cool my 290x rn

Definitely the Covfefe.

7800X would compare in some tasks to 1800X (mostly gaming) and imo is not worth the cancer premium.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Just now, dave_k said:

Definitely the Covfefe.

7800X would compare in some tasks to 1800X (mostly gaming) and imo is not worth the cancer premium.

Bruh the 7800X is cheaper than the 8700K

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/sxDzK8/intel-core-i7-8700k-37ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i78700k

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/ymtWGX/intel-core-i7-7800x-35ghz-6-core-processor-bx80673i77800x

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Sorry, i am not friendly with canadian pricing.

I know only "the shit is expensive as hell here", so difference between the chips (here) is minimal but X299 mobos cost more.

Just now, dave_k said:

Sorry, i am not friendly with canadian pricing.

I know only "the shit is expensive as hell here", so difference between the chips (here) is minimal but X299 mobos cost more.

Mm yep, the mobos I'm comparing are similarly priced, I'm looking at the Maximus or taichi on cofefve 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tqKhP6/asus-maximus-x-hero-wi-fi-ac-atx-lga1151-motherboard-maximus-x-hero-wi-fi-

achttps://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KbNypg/asrock-z370-taichi-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-taichi

Now look at comparable X299 boards

This TUF is actually cheaper

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/pGQRsY/asus-tuf-x299-mark-2-atx-lga2066-motherboard-tuf-x299-mark-2

This beauty is freaking awesome, $70 more on board and a mere $50 more when including CPU cost

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/HhfmP6/asus-tuf-x299-mark-1-atx-lga2066-motherboard-tuf-x299-mark-1

Same deal here, $80 more but only $60 when including CPU

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/n7VBD3/asus-strix-x299-e-gaming-atx-lga2066-motherboard-strix-x299-e-gaming

$90 more, $70 when you count the cheaper CPU

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kjTrxr/asrock-x299-taichi-atx-lga2066-motherboard-x299-taichi

generally speaking the x299 boards are more expensive, the CPU prices are close enough to even there isn't a concern there and the 8700k out of the box is already running at a higher clockspeed and as such can be pushed slightly higher in terms of max overclock, so unless you have a usecase for the added PCIE lanes of the x299 setup I would definitely go with the 8700k.

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Mm yep, the mobos I'm comparing are similarly priced, I'm looking at the Maximus or taichi on cofefve 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tqKhP6/asus-maximus-x-hero-wi-fi-ac-atx-lga1151-motherboard-maximus-x-hero-wi-fi-

achttps://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KbNypg/asrock-z370-taichi-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-taichi

Now look at comparable X299 boards

This TUF is actually cheaper

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/pGQRsY/asus-tuf-x299-mark-2-atx-lga2066-motherboard-tuf-x299-mark-2

This beauty is freaking awesome, $70 more on board and a mere $50 more when including CPU cost

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/HhfmP6/asus-tuf-x299-mark-1-atx-lga2066-motherboard-tuf-x299-mark-1

Same deal here, $80 more but only $60 when including CPU

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/n7VBD3/asus-strix-x299-e-gaming-atx-lga2066-motherboard-strix-x299-e-gaming

$90 more, $70 when you count the cheaper CPU

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kjTrxr/asrock-x299-taichi-atx-lga2066-motherboard-x299-taichi

Even tho i hate X299 i would advise you to get 7800X (or 7820X) and the TUF X299 Mark 1.

Thats one of the best boards for X299 with decent cooling, VRM and stuff.