7800x or 8700k, what a first world question.

7800x or 8700k  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Question of the year

• 7800x

Just now, dave_k said:

Even tho i hate X299 i would advise you to get 7800X (or 7820X) and the TUF X299 Mark 1.

Thats one of the best boards for X299 with decent cooling, VRM and stuff.

It really is a beast, eh?  It all comes down to what's on sale this black Friday that matches my build aesthetic.  I'm trying to do the classic "build a PC for lasting" approach.

TBH I'm doing this because I'm bored of mainstream xD I'd be happy with a decent X99 combo and may go that route.

Maybe I can get a buddy with intel edge to help me out...

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I'm trying to do the classic "build a PC for lasting" approach.

don't do that, if you are upgrading CPU's on the SAME SOCKET you should have simply saved up longer and gotten the better CPU to start with, to buy a cheaper CPU just to swap it out later is nothing more then a waste of money, build a computer to do what you need it to do for the next 5 years.

If I had to choose between those two, I would probably go with the 7800X as that would put me on the X299 platform where I could change out for a higher core count/more PCI-e connection CPU later down the lane to keep it relevant if I needed to...

12 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

If I had to choose between those two, I would probably go with the 7800X as that would put me on the X299 platform where I could change out for a higher core count/more PCI-e connection CPU later down the lane to keep it relevant if I needed to...

and by the time you pay for 2 x299 CPU's you could have bought whatever generation of motherboard replaces the mainstream CPU's in addition to the cost of your mainstream CPU's.

like  I just said, upgrading CPU's on the same platform is a waste of money, either buy the best one now or don't buy into the platform

I'd personally never get the 7800x over the i7 8700k, if you need x299 features go with the i7 7820x it's worth the price bump.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you are going to buy x299 with an eye on going high core count in the future, buy one with a heatpipe from the VRM heatisnk.  Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 9, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, Asus Rampage Extreme, Asus Apex, etc.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

and by the time you pay for 2 x299 CPU's you could have bought whatever generation of motherboard replaces the mainstream CPU's in addition to the cost of your mainstream CPU's

I think that would depend on the time between changing out CPUs as well as what has changed in architecture and my personal needs are...  I mean, if the 7800X lasts me for three to four years and there is not a major change on architecture, but I feel like I need more cores/RAM/PCI-e lane availability, I could probably buy a 7900X or higher SKU used for a decent price or I could also recycle that X299 machine into a separate use case, such as a dedicated video editor/streaming/server box and upgrade my platform.  

54 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think that would depend on the time between changing out CPUs as well as what has changed in architecture and my personal needs are...  I mean, if the 7800X lasts me for three to four years and there is not a major change on architecture, but I feel like I need more cores/RAM/PCI-e lane availability, I could probably buy a 7900X or higher SKU used for a decent price or I could also recycle that X299 machine into a separate use case, such as a dedicated video editor/streaming/server box and upgrade my platform.  

Oh ya, the 7800x is already good enough for everything I do right now it just gives me more options

2 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

If you are going to buy x299 with an eye on going high core count in the future, buy one with a heatpipe from the VRM heatisnk.  Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 9, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, Asus Rampage Extreme, Asus Apex, etc.

Not going to bother with that, Ima just get a mono block or dedicated WC block

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'd personally never get the 7800x over the i7 8700k, if you need x299 features go with the i7 7820x it's worth the price bump.

7800x is about a $50 price bump (including mobo) but a 7820x is $270 price bump.  I'll get a second hand 7900x in a few years if I feel the need for cores

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

and by the time you pay for 2 x299 CPU's you could have bought whatever generation of motherboard replaces the mainstream CPU's in addition to the cost of your mainstream CPU's.

like  I just said, upgrading CPU's on the same platform is a waste of money, either buy the best one now or don't buy into the platform

Best one right now costs 2 grand and I would have zero use for it.  Currently, a 7800x is perfect for my use case but allows me to get a 7900x way cheap when the second batch of X299 chips drop if I need it.

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

don't do that, if you are upgrading CPU's on the SAME SOCKET you should have simply saved up longer and gotten the better CPU to start with, to buy a cheaper CPU just to swap it out later is nothing more then a waste of money, build a computer to do what you need it to do for the next 5 years.

That's what I'm doing right now, I don't need a deca core chip right now but X299 gives me options in the future as opposed to MAYBE an 8 core 9700k

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

7800x is about a $50 price bump (including mobo) but a 7820x is $270 price bump.  I'll get a second hand 7900x in a few years if I feel the need for cores

Price bumping is meaningless I am thinking about the gaming performance you're throwing out the window, not only the i7 7800x is over all slower the x299 cache messes up even further in end performance.

Now I don't quite know what you exactly do but I doubt that 10c/20t is justified to hobbyist, to the level of what we do it is much better justified sticking to the fastest mainstream processor which will be the one meant to ace common gaming folk necessities, with the i7 8700k you'll be covered all the way to the last 10nm revision around 2019~2020 which will certainly feel more desirable than a now 3ish years old CPU (for likely similar price tags in the end as well...).

So yeah...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

@Princess Cadence strongest argument yet, I think a part of me just want to push my WC to its maximum - just to see what I can accomplish with what I've got.

I think it'll come down to what is and what is not on sale this black friday.

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You still can, if you have such of a powerful water cooling at hand, have a delid i7 8700k and try pushing it to 5.2ghz and enjoy having the best single thread performance in the world so far :P

I was considering to exchange my i7 6700 for the i7 8700k however after the person buying the chip end up blowing the deal I have decided to personally do wait these z390 motherboards and the i7 9700k... After all even my Skylake i7 even though bottlenecking my brand new 1080 Ti is more than capable to keep up for some beautiful maxed out games above 60fps so who cares [:

There will always be something newer you'll want more, I'd personally consider mainstream computers much easier to sell than HEDT ones which is a solid plus when you desire selling every thing quick for that sweet bleeding edge upgrade ^^

Cheers!

Personal Desktop":

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

something newer you'll want more

Ahh, yep.  The eternal question rises again - I just want something capable of challenging my soon to be 360mm + 240mm + 240mm of custom loop radiator space.

I mean hot sheet that's 840mm and nearly 2500w of cooling potential - I could probably run it fanless with little issue

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

Ahh, yep.  The eternal question rises again - I just want something capable of challenging my soon to be 360mm + 240mm + 240mm of custom loop radiator space.

I mean hot sheet that's 840mm and nearly 2500w of cooling potential - I could probably run it fanless with little issue

Skylake-x running AVX512 with a low offset.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB