General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

Just now, T3DDY14 said:
Motherboard: Evga sr-2 classified
Cpus: x5690
GPUs: Asus Rog 1070tis
Ram: 48gb ddr3 SK hynix 
Storage: 2*4 tb Seagate Barracuda + 8tb Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk 512gb SSD (for o/s)
Case: Deep silence 6 rev2
PSU: HX1200i
Cooling : 2*hyper212x
Broke 2 Evga sr2s trying to build this one with bad memory controller and one that won't work with 2 CPUs

IMG-20191102-WA0005.jpeg

IMG_20191031_111905.jpg

IMG_20200228_210714.jpg

Screenshot_8.png

Got this working after i found the third board in mint, as one didnt want to boot with both cpus in, and the other had a unknown bios code that wouldnt post (most likley the memory controller)

Screenshot_9.png

Screenshot_10.png

5 minutes ago, T3DDY14 said:

Got this working after i found the third board in mint, as one didnt want to boot with both cpus in, and the other had a unknown bios code that wouldnt post (most likley the memory controller)

Memory controller is on the CPU (IIRC this is the first gen with an on-CPU IMC), but it could certainly have been a DIMM slot going fucky or something. Heard from guys more experienced with these boards that they like to eat their own caps too, could have been something like that. Good to know you got a working one finally though! 

Planning to push any OCs or anything? @WhisperingKnickers has/had an SR-2 with dual 5690s, IIRC he ran them at around 4GHz. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Memory controller is on the CPU (IIRC this is the first gen with an on-CPU IMC), but it could certainly have been a DIMM slot going fucky or something. Heard from guys more experienced with these boards that they like to eat their own caps too, could have been something like that. Good to know you got a working one finally though! 

Planning to push any OCs or anything? @WhisperingKnickers has/had an SR-2 with dual 5690s, IIRC he ran them at around 4GHz. 

Thank, contacted evga about the dodgey bios code and they had no clue, so i was taking wild guesses at that point.
And yea want to oc the x5690s to 5ghz or more but i dont have adequate cooling for that so ive left it stock as i planned on having 2 D15s cooling them or a full loop but trying to find the mounting adapter and then the size of them would not allow 2 on the board. 

on my rig i got it to 4.2ghz on a x5660 with a 212 evo and 21 multiplier and a 200blk 

4 minutes ago, T3DDY14 said:

on my rig i got it to 4.2ghz on a x5660 with a 212 evo and 21 multiplier and a 200blk 

Noice, whatcha running RAM at? I ran my 5670 at 4.54 (I had it on water so I didn't care about just slapping voltage into it) daily, with 3x8GB RAM at around 2100Mhz CL10-11-11-36. 

5 minutes ago, T3DDY14 said:

i planned on having 2 D15s cooling them or a full loop but trying to find the mounting adapter and then the size of them would not allow 2 on the board. 

NH-U12A should be compatible with the LGA1366 mounting adapters (if they exist for the U12A, you can ask Noctua for one for free, all they need is the invoice from eBay or wherever you got the board from, and the invoice for the cooler), it performs similarly to the D15, but is a single 120mm tower so it should give you the clearance you need. Certainly cheaper than water as well. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Noice, whatcha running RAM at? I ran my 5670 at 4.54 (I had it on water so I didn't care about just slapping voltage into it) daily, with 3x8GB RAM at around 2100Mhz CL10-11-11-36. 

NH-U12A should be compatible with the LGA1366 mounting adapters (if they exist for the U12A, you can ask Noctua for one for free, all they need is the invoice from eBay or wherever you got the board from, and the invoice for the cooler), it performs similarly to the D15, but is a single 120mm tower so it should give you the clearance you need. Certainly cheaper than water as well. 

ahh might do that once ive let sr-2 run for a bit, as im kinda afraid to touch it as, well... , dont want to break it,  Ram speeds for the x5660 its at 1666mhz ( i think) it not high i know that but its a mix of ram sticks anyway so if it works it works 

1 minute ago, T3DDY14 said:

ahh might do that once ive let sr-2 run for a bit, as im kinda afraid to touch it as, well... , dont want to break it,  Ram speeds for the x5660 its at 1666mhz ( i think) it not high i know that but its a mix of ram sticks anyway so if it works it works 

Indeed. And lol, there isn't an inherent need to push the SR-2, especially if you think it'll mess it up. They're awesome pieces of kit, toasting them is both a shame and a large oof because they aren't made any more. Hell they're rare enough now that EVGA themselves was offering to trade X299 boards for them a year or two back lol, even the OEMs didn't have their own boards ?

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Indeed. And lol, there isn't an inherent need to push the SR-2, especially if you think it'll mess it up. They're awesome pieces of kit, toasting them is both a shame and a large oof because they aren't made any more. Hell they're rare enough now that EVGA themselves was offering to trade X299 boards for them a year or two back lol, even the OEMs didn't have their own boards ?

I know, i think it was november last year i bought the entire ebay stock of sr-2 and it was funny, there wernt any until january (atleast that i could see)

3 minutes ago, T3DDY14 said:

I know, i think it was november last year i bought the entire ebay stock of sr-2 and it was funny, there wernt any until january (atleast that i could see)

was just doing a size comparison and well i dont measure in meters anymore xD

IMG_20200228_221120.jpg

On 2/26/2020 at 6:52 PM, Slayer3032 said:

I was gonna post the whole thing on craigslist for $125 but a quick ebay search suggests that the cpu is actually hard to get your hands on and there's only like 3 on ebay for $180~ in China.

Anyways it's a ROG Crosshair IV Extreme and a Phenom II X6 1100T

Ah I remember when I sold my friend's 1100T. Best Phenom ever made, and what a sourpuss I was when his wouldn't overclock whatsoever, such a disappointment.

Either way, the CPU is rare sure but not particularly valuable. Anyone salvaging an old build to toss just a couple more cores in before it's totally obsolete will opt for something like the 1090T or anything that's more plentiful and cheaper, so I can't imagine the demand for a really expensive Phenom is too high. Combined with the high class board though, you could manage some good profit, just don't price it competitively against parts that outclass it too easily (ain't gonna buy a $150 Phenom when I can get a $50 Ryzen 3 1200.)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@T3DDY14 Very nice! I managed to fix my SR-2's boot issues, hoping to play with it some more this weekend. Curious how dual 5690 vs 5675 will do, I hear the SR-2 doesn't tend to run as high a BCLK as the single socket boards will. Having the extra CPU multiplier might be useful.

3 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

@T3DDY14 Very nice! I managed to fix my SR-2's boot issues, hoping to play with it some more this weekend. Curious how dual 5690 vs 5675 will do, I hear the SR-2 doesn't tend to run as high a BCLK as the single socket boards will. Having the extra CPU multiplier might be useful.

Thanks, x5690s will have more head to to overclock once you get past 4ghz but tbh havnt tested it with a x5675 only with x5650,x5660,x5680 and x5690, and yea doesn't need a high bclk issue is keeping it cool, I have around 12 fans in the ds6 which keeps it around 40c and 4 on each cpu tower, 

My baby decided it wasn't gonna boot anymore today.

I decided it was time to do some actual cleaning(been almost 6 months since I started running X99), took it apart, dusted, repasted, put it back together, almost nothing.

Reseated RAM, reseated CPU, reseated PSU connectors, unplugged SATA drives, tried every PCIe graphics card I own, same behavior: all fans turn on for a while, system shuts down, system powers back on. Almost like a boot loop except no boot.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My baby decided it wasn't gonna boot anymore today.

I decided it was time to do some actual cleaning(been almost 6 months since I started running X99), took it apart, dusted, repasted, put it back together, almost nothing.

Reseated RAM, reseated CPU, reseated PSU connectors, unplugged SATA drives, tried every PCIe graphics card I own, same behavior: all fans turn on for a while, system shuts down, system powers back on. Almost like a boot loop except no boot.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Try a different PSU? 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Try a different PSU?

I don't have any PSUs that I'd feel comfortable powering this system with, unfortunately.

fine time to not own my Ryzen PC anymore

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't have any PSUs that I'd feel comfortable powering this system with, unfortunately.

fine time to not own my Ryzen PC anymore

My guess is PSU or board. You'd want to test either, I'm sure you've went through all the ropes available otherwise.

Alternatively...

You could try a long cmos clear. Min. 1 hour battery pulled, cmos jumped and PSU switch off. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

My guess is PSU or board. You'd want to test either, I'm sure you've went through all the ropes available otherwise.

Alternatively...

You could try a long cmos clear. Min. 1 hour battery pulled, cmos jumped and PSU switch off. 

I'm leaning towards board at the moment.

It stays powered on if I have one DIMM installed in a couple specific slots, but it'll power cycle every few seconds if it's in a different slot. I'm not aware that PSUs would be able to differentiate like that.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm leaning towards board at the moment.

It stays powered on if I have one DIMM installed in a couple specific slots, but it'll power cycle every few seconds if it's in a different slot. I'm not aware that PSUs would be able to differentiate like that, 

It's a 24 pin connector. Bad 12v ripples could cause anything, but generally Diag the board, this is one angle to go about doing it. Otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it. I figured also it's more likely you have a PSU rather than a board (extra) that also would consume much more time for diag lol. 

You can also try unplug the VGA PCI-E power connectors. If it posts, you'll get a visual VGA power connection warning. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's a 24 pin connector. Bad 12v ripples could cause anything, but generally Diag the board, this is one angle to go about doing it. Otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it. I figured also it's more likely you have a PSU rather than a board that also would consume much more time for diag lol. 

I've got an RM1000x, I'd be surprised if it went bad like this; the PSUs that have died out of the blue for me have all been able to power the fans and lights, but not even do a power cycle or power on anything else in the system.

I'll guess I'll poke around Ebay and see if I can find a good deal on an X99 board...

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

You can also try unplug the VGA PCI-E power connectors. If it posts, you'll get a visual VGA power connection warning. 

It does the same thing if I don't even have a GPU installed, but I can try that too.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've got an RM1000x, I'd be surprised if it went bad like this; the PSUs that have died out of the blue for me have all been able to power the fans and lights, but not even do a power cycle or power on anything else in the system.

I'll guess I'll poke around Ebay and see if I can find a good deal on an X99 board...

I'm sure there are good deals on Ryzen boards.... ;)

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm sure there are good deals on Ryzen boards.... ;)

I'd need a good deal on a Ryzen CPU too, though. Ultimately, it'll be cheaper to grab a working X99 board for like $150-170 off the used market than jump over to Ryzen(assuming nothing else is wrong with my system).

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd need a good deal on a Ryzen CPU too, though. Ultimately, it'll be cheaper to grab a working X99 board for like $150-170 off the used market than jump over to Ryzen(assuming nothing else is wrong with my system).

Well buying new Ryzen hardware eliminates buying used older stuff. It's a great platform, I have nothing against it, but a solid warranty always helps justify an upgrade. Less likely doa chances too.

Even a super budgeted Ryzen Rig would be cheap and reliable IMO. My HTPC, Ryzen 1400 8 threads combined with a GTX 980 games rather well. At least for what my kids use it for. Pretty sure it'll run COD at high details easy. Haven't tried it yet, but soon I'll get around to it.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well buying new Ryzen hardware eliminates buying used older stuff. It's a great platform, I have nothing against it, but a solid warranty always helps justify an upgrade. Less likely doa chances too.

Even a super budgeted Ryzen Rig would be cheap and reliable IMO. My HTPC, Ryzen 1400 8 threads combined with a GTX 980 games rather well. At least for what my kids use it for. Pretty sure it'll run COD at high details easy. Haven't tried it yet, but soon I'll get around to it.

If I can't find a good deal on an X99 board, I'll look at Ryzen. Having to buy a CPU and motherboard turns me off due to the price, as opposed to just buying a motherboard.

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If I can't find a good deal on an X99 board, I'll look at Ryzen. Having to buy a CPU and motherboard turns me off due to the price, as opposed to just buying a motherboard.

Yea looks like 170$ average for X99. 

Up to you how you handle this one. I can only help so much. 

under 300 bucks, ebay deals 2700x

3600x around the same as 2700x tad more.

Saw a Ryzen 1400 combo for 150+15. But that' probably lacks any luster. (A320 chipset no oc)(150-200 for OC boards)

2600x looks like around 250.

All give or take numbers.

Sell hardware and then have funds? (I don't know your financial situation)