Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING

Slick

@Slick @WoodenMarker , important suggestions:

• make it mandatory to post product name and price in the title (I've seen people post thread titles such as "holy crap, what a deal!" with no other description)
  • Country for the deal should be in title (in the format [uS] [CA] [AU] [uK] etc.. 
  • A like/dislike or upvote/downvote type of system so that the really HOT deals actually rise to the top of the subsection instead of having some crappy deals and great deals mixed together. 

Great ideas here.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

The deals section keeps getting worse and worse and our suggestions for guidelines are completely ignored... what's wrong??

I see more and more deals that don't even state the price of the product in the title or the country.

I'll stop posting in this section until it gets cleaned up and has clear guidelines set.

LTTF keeps getting messier and messier and unless guidelines and rules start being implemented we will see a mass exodus from the BS that starts happening more and more. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

The deals section keeps getting worse and worse and our suggestions for guidelines are completely ignored... what's wrong??

I see more and more deals that don't even state the price of the product in the title or the country.

People are anal about letting other people know they are reposting an important news topic the MINUTE after another has mentioned it, yet this section is FFA.

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

there is a pretty good deal for

Don't Starve

Was £11.99

Now £4.07

like that?

We are not going to penalize people for not adhering to some strict set of formatting. It's nice when done, but otherwise we hope people use some basic sense when posting a deal.

We also do not check in here. At all. So if something is blatantly not a correct post, post is not a deal or violated the CoC, please report it.

I will add in some additional verbiage in the guidelines on how we would like to see posts made. But we, the mods, don't want to spend a huge amount of time policing this section either. Hopefully people will start to follow the "trend" if more and more post follow a common theme.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

We also do not check in here. At all....  But we, the mods, don't want to spend a huge amount of time policing this section either.

Why is this section off bounds ? if I may ask.

Spoiler

Why is this section off bounds ? if I may ask.

It's not that it is off bounds - I only meant that we don't actively monitor it... pretty much the same with all the sections. We rely on the users to report posts that violate the CoC. I do not spend any time "looking" for violations other then what I might stumble in my normal browsing the forum and replying to posts.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

It's not that it is off bounds - I only meant that we don't actively monitor it... pretty much the same with all the sections. We rely on the users to report posts that violate the CoC. I do not spend any time "looking" for violations other then what I might stumble in my normal browsing the forum and replying to posts.

I see, thanks.

Spoiler

Updated the guidelines... Please review...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/81169-guidelines/?p=1112329

• 2 weeks later...

i know i am a tad bit late with the suggestion since you just made updates to this section but i would still like to suggest that you invert this particular forum section.... so that most recent posts are at the front.... i got really happy about one i saw when i first clicked in only to realize a short time later that it was a post from 2013.

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

i know i am a tad bit late with the suggestion since you just made updates to this section but i would still like to suggest that you invert this particular forum section.... so that most recent posts are at the front.... i got really happy about one i saw when i first clicked in only to realize a short time later that it was a post from 2013.

Just click on "start date" as a filter for topics.

Spoiler

• 7 months later...
  • Please include the location as a prefix in the title. For example -  {CAN}, {US}, {AU}, [CA,US], [EU], etc...

Why does no one enforce this? Pisses me right off how many people post without any information such as the currency type or location in the title.

• 1 month later...

How about discount codes giving eg. 10% off for a day or somethin? 

wrong thread

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

• 3 months later...

If you post deals to Amazon can you do it with your own affiliate code or is that one of those things that you have to have had a previous contact with slick about?

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

If you post deals to Amazon can you do it with your own affiliate code or is that one of those things that you have to have had a previous contact with slick about?

Please don't do that. Read the CoC.

Spoiler

Please don't do that. Read the CoC.

I have read it, a few times. It just wasn't very clear to me so I ased here. No need to be a dick about it.

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

I have read it, a few times. It just wasn't very clear to me so I ased here. No need to be a dick about it.

Was not being a dick. The CoC mentions no advertisement for anything not related to LMG. Advertisement for a deal that refers to a link where you benefit from sales is pretty much just that. Also, LMG has an Amazon link they are advertising, so you would directly work against that, hence the "Please don't do that. Read the CoC".

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

You should really split this off into, countries continents ect, as it's really difficult to find anything other than US deals.

• 3 weeks later...

Slick

Is it possible to have a mandatory drop down menu when creating a thread in the "hot deals" section where you can select the region or country where the deal is applicable. 

Ex:

Global

North America

Europe

Asia

United States

Canada

I wouldn't add an "unknown" field. That would force people to research their deal a bit. A simple half-checkout can tell you where the site ships. The mandatory selection could also add a couple of characters to the thread title (ex : [GBL], [NA], [ASIA], [EU], [CAN], [uS], ...), which should make it so that the non-US residents want to browse the section in the first place.

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently "The Hot Deals subforum is for tech related deals", so you may want to add that in too. 

• 3 weeks later...

So if you arean't supposed to tell people you're selling something in the section, where do we? 

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

So if you arean't supposed to tell people you're selling something in the section, where do we? 

"Classifieds" in the top of the webpage.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

• 4 weeks later...

Y no ebay?

Official Ebay storage pages (like this: http://stores.ebay.com/Newegg) are okay, but it's to avoid listings from random sellers who may or may not be reputable/who may be selling damaged/unwarrantied goods/etc...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

True. Just that ebay has great deals and some people have multiple of those items, like one person had 3 hd 7770s for 90 bucks each.

$90 isn't even a good deal for a used 7770, you can get a new 250x (same exact card) for $70 after MIR (and multiple NEW @ $90). 

And the issue still exists that you're talking about a used item from an unknown source with a pretty sizable risk. So it's just not worth it to have people posting links where many potential buyers won't realize or understand what they're actually buying and who they're buying from. Not to mention it would end up causing the section to fill up with auctions anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.