Very easy to use Linux distribution for beginners with beautiful UI

2 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

Why are you saying 9 is terrible, what experiences have made you think this way?

Why do you think it's terrible?

What kind of hardware are you running it on? I run it on an Elitebook 8570w and I haven't had a single issue with performance. It's always been extremely fast and I haven't had a single bug.

Hardware:

CPU: i7-3940XM @ 4.0GHZ

RAM: 32GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (8gb x 4)

GPU: AMD FirePro M4000 (I play a few games on steam without any issues, and that's on a 1080p panel)

Boot Drive: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Storage Drive 1: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Storage Drive 2: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo mSATA SSD

The only other Mods I've done to it are throwing a 1080p panel in and a backlight keyboard.

To me it just didn't feel right, it felt slightly sluggish on my system too. In fairness though it was on of the first distros I used. Different people Different use case, different needs from an os. For example I try as hard as I can to avoid widows as I think it's badly designed and is patched too often. And like OS X. (Sorry would quote the bit aimed at me but am using the mobile site so selecting text with my thumb is hard)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

5 hours ago, fixitnow said:

To me it just didn't feel right, it felt slightly sluggish on my system too. In fairness though it was on of the first distros I used. Different people Different use case, different needs from an os. For example I try as hard as I can to avoid widows as I think it's badly designed and is patched too often. And like OS X. (Sorry would quote the bit aimed at me but am using the mobile site so selecting text with my thumb is hard)

I've been testing Debian 9 in a VM (QEMU/KVM) and it's fairly snappy for me, even on heavier DEs like KDE Plasma or GNOME and even with no 3d acceleration. Are you using GNOME on Wayland? People have been reporting that GNOME on Wayland stutters sometimes on other distros since before Debian 9. I also noticed that the mouse cursor is offset from where the clicks happen in GNOME on Wayland, but GNOME on X11 worked as expected.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:28 AM, Tarzan said:

Linux Mint, Ubuntu 

These are the best 2 Linux OS for home users IMO. 

Mint is based off Ubuntu so anything that works on Ubuntu should work on Mint. 

Ubuntu has many "flavorz" as they call them. My favorite version is Lubuntu as to me it resembles Windows XP however regular Ubuntu is really quite good. 

Most times when when you're looking for programs on the internet that support Linux, they'll 85% of the time have a dedicated section for Ubuntu compatibility that make it easier to install on Ubuntu. 

Aaaamd remember:

"control + alt + T" to get terminal. It gets easier as most of the time you just type "sudo apt-get install" followed by the name of the program. 

Codecademy has a tutorial on the command line for free. 

I'm confused why people are saying debian9 is terrible? 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I know right I love it, and they finally included stuff they should have been for years. I think if people will give it a change they would love it.

I hate people who make a frankendebian and then turn around hating the Distro. I've always kept to non-free debian sources and have always been able to get software that fits my needs.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Ubuntu has many "flavorz" as they call them. My favorite version is Lubuntu as to me it resembles Windows XP however regular Ubuntu is really quite good. 

Most times when when you're looking for programs on the internet that support Linux, they'll 85% of the time have a dedicated section for Ubuntu compatibility that make it easier to install on Ubuntu. 

Aaaamd remember:

"control + alt + T" to get terminal. It gets easier as most of the time you just type "sudo apt-get install" followed by the name of the program. 

IMO the best way is to throw yourself into an advanced Disto of linux, at least that is how I prefer to learn and it's always worked for me.

The first Disto I ever used was Debian which is really command-line heavy at the time and is still kinda like that.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Aaaamd remember:

They are just some of the easier Distro's to use, and fit the needs of Home Users more than say a Power user.

For each piece of software the correct thing to do would be to get them from the Distro's repositories or add a repository rather than installing random applications tor a tz package.

1 hour ago, Icuw1pc said:

snip

That's why I think Mint and Ubuntu are better as most home users don't need to be power users, and it's way easier to use GUI even though the terminal is needed a lot for configuration and whatnot. I'd rather not open a terminal and type in connect to wifi, open internet browser and then finally do what I need. Though I can technically do that in Ubuntu, it's easier to just open Firefox as it's pre-installed. 

4 hours ago, Jarsky said:

1 hour ago, Icuw1pc said:

I know right I love it, and they finally included stuff they should have been for years. I think if people will give it a change they would love it.

I hate people who make a frankendebian and then turn around hating the Distro. I've always kept to non-free debian sources and have always been able to get software that fits my needs.

As I typed earlier different people use operating systems for different things. For example I like OS X but my dad doesn't as he used VBA in excel and just can't grow to like it.

It's like asking someone why they like classic cars. 

Liking an operating system depends on what you think about the UI and the stuff that goes on in the background. It's a matter of opinion. 

8 hours ago, fixitnow said:

As I typed earlier different people use operating systems for different things. For example I like OS X but my dad doesn't as he used VBA in excel and just can't grow to like it.

Liking an operating system depends on what you think about the UI and the stuff that goes on in the background. It's a matter of opinion. 

If you're using VBA then you'll want Windows or OS-X for maximum compatibility with Microsoft Office, but the way in which they've stated that debian9 is terrible, is in comparison to other Linux kernels - which is what my question is attempting to have addressed.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

48 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

If you're using VBA then you'll want Windows or OS-X for maximum compatibility with Microsoft Office, but the way in which they've stated that debian9 is terrible, is in comparison to other Linux kernels - which is what my question is attempting to have addressed.

You mean compared to other Linux distros? But I agree. You shouldn't call something terrible just because of something subjective.

9 hours ago, fixitnow said:

It's not like there's a shortage of desktop environments, so unless you don't like any Linux DE, I don't see how you can say you dislike Debian because of the UI. I can understand not wanting to use a terminal for anything, but there are options on Debian if you don't like using the terminal. I can definitely understand not liking Debians release schedule though. It's good, but it's not for everyone. Some like rolling release distros.

As someone who has a general dislike of Linux (macOS is the sleekest Unix distro by far IMO), my favourite is Ubuntu Gnome:

https://ubuntugnome.org/

With a good theme and icon pack such as:

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1013698/

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1177474/

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1099670/

Another cool new option is Ubuntu Budgie:

https://ubuntubudgie.org/portfolio/screenshots

Or get Windows 10 & use the Linux sub system...

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

7 hours ago, noahdvs said:

You mean compared to other Linux distros? But I agree. You shouldn't call something terrible just because of something subjective.

It's not like there's a shortage of desktop environments, so unless you don't like any Linux DE, I don't see how you can say you dislike Debian because of the UI. I can understand not wanting to use a terminal for anything, but there are options on Debian if you don't like using the terminal. I can definitely understand not liking Debians release schedule though. It's good, but it's not for everyone. Some like rolling release distros.

I can't explain it then, it just didn't feel right to me and a bit clunky. Some people just wont get why I don't like operating systems.

On 2017-07-23 at 7:02 PM, Surpuppa said:

I'm a total newbie to Linux, but it will help me when I'm starting programming in Uni. So I want an easy to use distro for beginners, but I also want it to look very good and have a sleek design. I will use it for programming and on a laptop if that is important. Thanks!

If coming from Windows then Linux Mint Cinnamon or Manjaro Cinnamon.

Linux Mint Cinnamon

75301_990x618.jpg

Manjaro Cinnamon

cinnamon-170.png

If coming from Mac then Elementary OS.

1200px-Elementary_OS_0.3_%22Freya%22.png

On 7/23/2017 at 3:11 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

have you tried debian 9? it is terrible.

Agreed, and I haven't even upgraded my PPC based G4 Mac Mini from Jessie J yet... I prefer to keep it on something that works well, so it it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)