Hi I am looking to build a new gaming, streaming and rendering PC. Im torn between the R7 1700 and 7600K because of the great gaming performance of the Intel chip and the great multi core performance of the R7 1700. I had 2 builds parted out but I am open to suggestions on things to change. My budget is 1000-1300 dollars CAD with NO GPU. I have a 750ti i will put into it for the short term and either buy a Vega GPU or GeForce 1070-Titan Xp depending on how much money i am looking to lose. This is NOT a AMD vs Intel thread this is just me asking which one would be better pure performance wise I will post a link to my other thread showing all the parts i plan to use for each system on here I just want to talk about which one is the best bang for my buck. Thanks for your help and I will try to respond quickly!

Well, since you're also going to be doing a bunch of streaming and rendering... Ryzen all the way.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Get the 1700 hands down. Vega doesn't look good at this point tho so just get a 1070

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Well, since you're also going to be doing a bunch of streaming and rendering... Ryzen all the way.

Not sure how much streaming and rendering ill be doing. I'm in animation at school but not sure how much of it will be outside of school just joined at the end of the year. Streaming is something i want to try but aren't confident i will continue game streaming tho my dad plans to use it to stream bowling.

1700 will blow the 7600K out of the water when streaming and rendering.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Get the 1700 hands down. Vega doesn't look good at this point tho so just get a 1070

2 minutes ago, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

Not sure how much streaming and rendering ill be doing. I'm in animation at school but not sure how much of it will be outside of school just joined at the end of the year. Streaming is something i want to try but aren't confident i will continue game streaming tho my dad plans to use it to stream bowling.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

yeah the 1700 destroys the 7600k in multithread. Gaming will be better too bc of mins

TBH the Vega could be a 1080/1070 competitor if priced properly. They could make a dual GPU Vega and beat the 1080Ti also

5 minutes ago, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

Honestly, I'd still get the 1700 to be safe.  The 8 cores 16 threads will last a longer amount of time, especially now with games finally liking to stretch it's legs across multiple threads.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

1700. But why did you compare the 1700 to the 7600K? the 1700 competes with the 7700K.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

yeah the 1700 destroys the 7600k in multithread. Gaming will be better too bc of mins

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

5 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

True not sure how much im going to stream/ render seeing i havent ever done much like that but i thought it would be good it also is going to be good for the future. Vega is not going well correct but if it can offer 1080 performance for less i will most defiantly go with it. The reason I compared the two is price the 7600K in Canada is 379.99 while the R7 1700 is 349.99 when on a 20% off sale which is when i would buy it. The 7700K on the other hand is 529.99 so I thought it would be a better comparison. I do plan to custom water cool but i might just go with a AIO it offers a little worse performance and dosent look as cool but it gets the job done. Ryzen apparently dosent overclock the best 4.0 is normal while you can get the 7600K to around 5.0 while so time and tweaking.

Just now, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

True not sure how much im going to stream/ render seeing i havent ever done much like that but i thought it would be good it also is going to be good for the future. Vega is not going well correct but if it can offer 1080 performance for less i will most defiantly go with it. The reason I compared the two is price the 7600K in Canada is 379.99 while the R7 1700 is 349.99 when on a 20% off sale which is when i would buy it. The 7700K on the other hand is 529.99 so I thought it would be a better comparison. I do plan to custom water cool but i might just go with a AIO it offers a little worse performance and dosent look as cool but it gets the job done. Ryzen apparently dosent overclock the best 4.0 is normal while you can get the 7600K to around 5.0 while so time and tweaking.

the 1700 still beats 7600k hands down

I don't know why anyone would live in Canada, prices there are insane. $530 for a 7700K?? Those are like $300 here in the states. 

1 minute ago, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

But yes the 1700 will KILL the 7600K. This isn't even like a maybe or slightly beat. I'm talking utterly destroy it.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I don't know why anyone would live in Canada, prices there are insane. $530 for a 7700K?? Those are like $300 here in the states. 

Haha not my choice I am 13. Anyway we do make more money here minimum wage is a lot higher in Canada and our dollar is very low atm so normally we would be paying maybe 20 dollars more for something where now its way more!

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

But yes the 1700 will KILL the 7600K. This isn't even like a maybe or slightly beat. I'm talking utterly destroy it.

True, so should I expect to see a ryzen refresh with better clock speeds in a year making it pretty dumb to buy right now?

True, so should I expect to see a ryzen refresh with better clock speeds in a year making it pretty dumb to buy right now?

No it's not dumb at all to buy right now, and we have no news on a Ryzen refresh.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

No it's not dumb at all to buy right now, and we have no news on a Ryzen refresh.

Prices are extremly high on things like RAM and GPUs tho. I dont plan to include a SSD now but they are also quite expensive.

15 minutes ago, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

my dad plans to use it to stream bowling.

My GF needs to be "really nice" to me, before she can touch my (outdated?) pc. Me wonders what kind of a hold your dad has over you.

On-topic: go Ryzen.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

My GF needs to be "really nice" to me, before she can touch my (outdated?) pc. Me wonders what kind of a hold your dad has over you.

On-topic: go Ryzen.

This will be my PC he can take the computer like once every  3 months then i will use my current PC for the weekend then get my baby back. If he breaks it he pays for it.

Just clean the browser history without looking at said browser history. Would scar you for life me thinks.

3 minutes ago, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

With a $25 cooler I would only expect a 7600k to get to around 4.6 or 4.7 ghz. Plus even when OCed I'd rate the 1700 above a 7600k.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

Yes, a 7600k has higher averages but the 1700 has much better minimums, which are more important imo since it indicates a more smooth and consistent experience.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Just clean the browser history without looking at said browser history. Would scar you for life me thinks.

He would have a sepreate windows account duhh.

I was talking about the browser history logs/files/whatever which he created. Not yours... But having his own account should prevent mental scarring.

10 minutes ago, MephistophelesThePowerful said:

Haha not my choice I am 13. Anyway we do make more money here minimum wage is a lot higher in Canada and our dollar is very low atm so normally we would be paying maybe 20 dollars more for something where now its way more!

the 7700k is 439