PC gamers are second class gamers

Fungal

Even though pc gamers are considered master race it really feels that most game devs don't care about pc at all. I mean some pc ports are just awful for instance, arkham knight, just cause 3, gta. To add to that there's also the delayed releases of games sometimes like injustice, and the year and a half late release of the shitily pc ported gta 5. Then there's the missing feature of splitscreen on every pc port, it's like the developers have never heard of pc gamers who like to lay back on their couch and play some splitscreen gameplay on their htpcs. Recently when I heard battlefront 2 had splitscreen I was pretty excited but then I heard that it was only for consoles which made me want to contact someone at EA saying "Fuck you, I spent $120 on the very hated battlefront 1 and supported the game, but you decided to give consoles features that won't be coming to pc.

Haha just had a bit of a rant but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks about this topic. 

Status update material. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Devs will care about the platform that makes the most money. 

3 minutes ago, Fungal said:

Then there's the missing feature of splitscreen on every pc port,

not just PC, generally that feature is rare to find even Halo 5( after bungee left i stopped caring about Halo games) abandoned it.  

5 minutes ago, Fungal said:

pc gamers who like to lay back on their couch and play some splitscreen gameplay on their htpcs

i personally have  HTPC for playing games like fire watch, Life is strange or a Ps4 pro for games like Last of us, me and my wife usually play story driven games together, i personally like the switch more than any console in the market because of its multiplayer support. 

It's only fair because we get to bask in all of the frame rate glory! ;)

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

4 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

It's only fair because we get to bask in all of the bottleneck glory! ;)

FTFY

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I'm sure if you play AK at 30fps on pc, you won't notice the issues either....

JC3 was a solid game. It was just optimized for nvidia at release. AMD finally got their act together with the 400 series cards.

GTA5 runs like a champ.

What exactly is shitty ported on gta v?....

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Status update material. 

Didn't think anyone would see it or care if I made it a status update and I felt that it wasn't too far off the topic of pc gaming.

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i personally have  HTPC for playing games like fire watch, Life is strange or a Ps4 pro for games like Last of us, me and my wife usually play story driven games together, i personally like the switch more than any console in the market because of its multiplayer support. 

Yeah I prefer to just play casual games on my cheap htpc, rocket league, shadow of mordor, life is strange etc. And true Nintendo dominates in local multiplayer over everything.

10 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not just PC, generally that feature is rare to find even Halo 5( after bungee left i stopped caring about Halo games) abandoned it.  

True but there's some still like cod, ....now that i'm thinking of it that's all i can think of lol.  

All your complaints center around developers and their money grubbing. All the big AAA titles will focus more on console because the console is the lowest common denominator. They have to because its easier and more profitable to develop for the worst performing platform and port to better platforms.

PC gamers get games that can't be on console. All you named was obvious console centric games. How is it second class when all the most advanced graphics and game engines are PC based. What about all the people who play MMOS, FPSs, and SIMS? How about the vast communities supporting those and modding? Current PC based gaming will always be the future of console gaming.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

Ways To Develop Games:

Develop an optimized game for console (needed), then port it over to PC with the time and money we have left. if the port is mediocre, then so be it. PC gamers can handle it, since their PCs are much more powerful than consoles.

Develop an optimized game for PC, then port it over to console - it will take a lot of work to make the console version as smooth as it needs to be, so the studio will end up spending more money.

PCs are not an afterthought. it's simply cheaper to develop games console first because it's easier going from a restricted platform to an open one, not the other way around.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I'm sure if you play AK at 30fps on pc, you won't notice the issues either....

JC3 was a solid game. It was just optimized for nvidia at release. AMD finally got their act together with the 400 series cards.

GTA5 runs like a champ.

Got AK about a year after release after the 30 fps issue was resolved but there was still a lot of screen tearing and stuttering. 

JC3 on the other hand crashed after about 45 minutes into the game because of the ram leakage or whatever in my first week of playing it and i even lost like 2 hours of initial gameplay. Stopped playing the game for a few months but i went back to it, the game ran pretty well, and I beat the game. 

Gta came out much later than it's initial console release which would make you think they spent good time porting it to pc however it just doesn't run as well as it should with that much time they had. Disregarding that it wasn't as bad as the others i stated but it should've been better.

5 minutes ago, Fungal said:

Gta came out much later than it's initial console release which would make you think they spent good time porting it to pc however it just doesn't run as well as it should with that much time they had. Disregarding that it wasn't as bad as the others i stated but it should've been better

It's a rather boring and bland map. I might agree the game doesn't promote the same extent of exploration as its predecessors...

but the performance is solid on my rig

Edit: I'm curious, what issues did you find with it? 

The other thing I noticed is that we can be quite hard to please compared to console gamers

10 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

All your complaints center around developers and their money grubbing. All the big AAA titles will focus more on console because the console is the lowest common denominator. They have to because its easier and more profitable to develop for the worst performing platform and port to better platforms.

PC gamers get games that can't be on console. All you named was obvious console centric games. How is it second class when all the most advanced graphics and game engines are PC based. What about all the people who play MMOS, FPSs, and SIMS? How about the vast communities supporting those and modding? Current PC based gaming will always be the future of console gaming.

I see your point here that I'm talking about AAA games but they definitely have the money and resources to make good pc ports. it just comes to how much they want to spend. for example whether you love em or hate em EA makes great ports. Battlefront  especially ran great even when i only had a 750 ti and battlefield 1 and 4 ran pretty good too.

And I think the reasons why most pc exclusives aren't on consoles (atleast the ones I play) is because they just don't work with a controller, for example mobas, rts, etc. There's some like Arma, Star citizen, etc. that realistically couldn't run on consoles. And I agree that PC based gaming is the future especially when you see that consoles are always trying to get things that pcs have had for a long time, mods, 4k support and gaming, early access pc exclusives. 

16 minutes ago, JohnT said:

It's a rather boring and bland map. I might agree the game doesn't promote the same extent of exploration as its predecessors...

but the performance is solid on my rig

Edit: I'm curious, what issues did you find with it? 

Had crashes occur every few hours, screen tearing with fps drops at certain spots, and the graphics didn't look too great for me for the amount of performance it took. 

With all that said it just didn't run as it should've given the huge amount of time between the ps3/xbox360 release and the pc release. If the pc version was released at the same time it would've been a somewhat decent port. And I agree with you on the map

2 minutes ago, Fungal said:

I see your point here that I'm talking about AAA games but they definitely have the money and resources to make good pc ports. it just comes to how much they want to spend. for example whether you love em or hate em EA makes great ports. Battlefront  especially ran great even when i only had a 750 ti and battlefield 1 and 4 ran pretty good too.

And I think the reasons why most pc exclusives aren't on consoles (atleast the ones I play) is because they just don't work with a controller, for example mobas, rts, etc. There's some like Arma, Star citizen, etc. that realistically couldn't run on consoles. And I agree that PC based gaming is the future especially when you see that consoles are always trying to get things that pcs have had for a long time, mods, 4k support and gaming, early access pc exclusives. 

We agree then. AAA developers are crap. I don't play any EA games anymore. I loved BF2 but the constant nerfing of everything to make it "fair" did me in. I also have every one up to Battlefield 1. Not that I really enjoyed them.  I'm a ARMA 3 fanatic I have 32GB of mods for it. More playtime by at least double then any other game I own. My most played top 5 are ARMA3, Crusader Kings 2, Space Engineers(broken), ROME 2 and Stellaris. None of them are on console or likely to be.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

4 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

We agree then. AAA developers are crap. I don't play any EA games anymore. I loved BF2 but the constant nerfing of everything to make it "fair" did me in. I also have every one up to Battlefield 1. Not that I really enjoyed them.  I'm a ARMA 3 fanatic I have 32GB of mods for it. More playtime by at least double then any other game I own. My most played top 5 are ARMA3, Crusader Kings 2, Space Engineers(broken), ROME 2 and Stellaris. None of them are on console or likely to be.

Battlefield 1 beta was a lot of fun but once I got the game it was just kind of boring. In bf4 I just loved all the vehicles and putting c4 on them to ram people with it was a blast. But the most troll thing I ever did in bf1 was use the sword from the horse guy as my only weapon and landing planes on the blimp which just got boring fast.

I bought Arma 3 but I just never got into it. Played 10 or so hours in altis life but It just felt so empty unlike gmod dark rp.

My top played are Gmod, Csgo, Supreme Commander 2, Payday 2, and Shogun 2. Three of which are on console but they were mainly played on PC.

1 hour ago, Fungal said:

To add to that there's also the delayed releases of games.

i would rather have a functional game that gets delayed than a shitty port.  (ending up with a shitty port anyways is a whole other story)

1 hour ago, Fungal said:

Then there's the missing feature of splitscreen on every pc port, it's like the developers have never heard of pc gamers who like to lay back on their couch and play some splitscreen gameplay on their htpcs.

im gonna be honest, i dont know a single person who cares about split screen on PC.  and you'll notice, the only people even doing split screen on console still is nintendo. yes it would be cool to have as a feature, but why spend dev money on a feature only 10% of people are going to use.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

At this point I think it's already changed.

Games in general are making huge revenue, at least people with decent brain can acknowledge that.

But, let's not forget that there are so many genre for games.

If you stick with AAA publisher, then most likely you will disappointed, because their priority is with console.

Computer on the other hand, it's way more complicated since it's the only open market for games.

If you are developer you can publish your game anywhere you want.

if you are gamer, you can play on any machine you want.

Many publishers making deal with Nvidia or AMD bundling their games with it, while most of time it's still not perfect or ideal, but at least they've tried.

Consoles market today divided even more because it's already saturated with other games and also many consoles released already.

The idea buying same game over and over again for different machine isn't very attractive for consumer. At least mobile phone have better projection, you buy things once, you can use it again with your old or new phones.

The idea of consoles today is already pointless, because most machine already capable doing the same thing, and now they are making it unified between each new consoles (PS4<PS4PRO, Xbox One<Xbox One X)

How is GTA badly optimized? It runs flawless on my and my friends PC's. And how is the map boring? Don't get me wrong, everyone can have it's own opinion etc, nothing wrong with that. But the GTA v world offers the most out of all. 

I do wish we got more split-screen games. They released Don't starve together, a game focused on multiplayer, with split-screen support on console and left pc out.
Dipshits.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

9 hours ago, Fungal said:

Haha just had a bit of a rant but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks about this topic. 

It's hard for me to view PC gamers as "second class" when even our supposed bad ports are almost always still superior to the console alternatives. Arkham Knight is one of the very, VERY few examples I can think of where that's arguably not the case, and that's only because of its hitching and stuttering performance issues. By and large, the situation on PC is better today than it has been in a long time. The best it's been since Xbox/Playstation/PC started getting most of the same games, for sure.

I don't see any harm in splitscreen/local co-op being supported in more PC games, but I suspect developers just don't see it as something many PC gamers expect to have or plan to use. I think they're probably correct about that. I don't think they're leaving it out of PC games because they look down on our platform, I think they're leaving it out of games because they don't view it as applicable to PC or see PC gamers asking for it.

3 hours ago, typographie said:

I don't see any harm in splitscreen/local co-op being supported in more PC games, but I suspect developers just don't see it as something many PC gamers expect to have or plan to use. I think they're probably correct about that. I don't think they're leaving it out of PC games because they look down on our platform, I think they're leaving it out of games because they don't view it as applicable to PC or see PC gamers asking for it.

Well I think that the vast majority atleast 95% of pc gamers or more probably don't care at all, which is what the devs see, but for those that hookup there PCs to their tvs will see that there are very few splitscreen/co-op games to choose from. Correct me if I'm wrong but it shouldn't take many man hours to implement a splitscreen feature to a PC game when the console version of a game already has it. I just see that as the devs being too lazy to make a small feature that not many people will use but those who do would greatly appreciate it. 

GTA V is one of the best optimized games I have ever seen. It runs at mostly 70 fps for me on my GTX 970 at very high settings even if I disable two cores on my Xeon E3-1231v3 to simulate an i3 from 2013-14. It also still looks amazing graphically two years after its PC release. If every major AAA game was ported to the same quality as GTA V I wouldn't even think of upgrading my GPU for another year and a half or so. GTA IV had a horrible PC port, but GTA V is the gold standard.

Regarding PC ports, sure, there are some bad ports here and there, but at the same time, what makes a bad port a bad port? I've seen games that play perfectly fine but are labeled a "bad port" because you don't get all the fancy pants graphics options and the game doesn't run at 60FPS or has frame rate lock. Also GTAV is a great port, but I'd give Metal Gear Solid V or DOOM the gold standard for mulitplatform games.

As far as split screen play goes... that hasn't been a thing on PCs since practically ever. The only time I see same-screen game play is when both players are on the screen. On top of that, you need controllers, because for some reason every computer freaks out at having more than one keyboard connected to the system (or rather, every keyboard and mouse has the same privileges). But aside from that, it's a very niche market. People are more likely to have their own PC, especially in a given family, than their own console and TV.

Consoles have their problems that PC gamers enjoy. A lot of games have mods that consoles can't touch. Online multiplayer is generally free. You can play the game 10 years down the road on a new computer and enjoy the increased processing power.

But at the end of the day, AAA publishers are going to chase what gets them the most money. They're a business.