When is a $270 graphics card worth $700+?

Alpha297

I'm confused.  Same GPU, RX 580.  The more expensive one has less VRAM. THe cheaper one also has better clock on the compare page.

Is it because it's not red, and that's worth a few hundred dollars to some people?

huinwT6.png

It's because it's in stock. I guarantee if the other card was in stock it would be more expensive than the price listed. #BlameCryptoMining

-KuJoe

I must be really out of the loop, I didn't know graphics cards were such a hot commodity.  

@Alpha297 AMD's RX series of video cards have been in extremely low supply because most of them were bought in massive quantities by people who are using them for Bitcoin Mining

therefore there is High Demand and very low supply

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, Alpha297 said:

I must be really out of the loop, I didn't know graphics cards were such a hot commodity.  

Yeah, AMD cards are selling for 3-4 times their MSRP because of Ethereum mining (cryptocurrency). People are selling them used for more than double what they paid for them.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, Alpha297 said:

A lot of (not very smart) people are trying to make money by buying AMD GPUs and running them 24/7 to mine virtual coins.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

In truth that RX 580 ARMOR is only worth about $210-220.

Technically it's worth $719 for somebody if that's what they're selling it for. ;)

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Technically it's worth $719 for somebody if that's what they're selling it for. ;)

well true, I just mean the MSRP. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Makes me wish I had a spare GPU or two laying around. O.o

Thanks for the info everyone.  I guess when I'm ready to buy I'll sign up for notifications and hope to jump on one before they're bought and resold. 

Just now, Alpha297 said:

Makes me wish I had a spare GPU or two laying around. O.o

It made me pull my old HD 7970 out of the closet and build a mining rig, it was only making $3 per day though and $1 per day was going toward electricity. Totally wasn't worth it but my RX 480 was able to bring in $8-9 a day, but still not worth it IMO.

-KuJoe

30 minutes ago, mok said:

@Alpha297 AMD's RX series of video cards have been in extremely low supply because most of them were bought in massive quantities by people who are using them for Bitcoin Mining

therefore there is High Demand and very low supply

is the r9 390 also a high demand gpu for mining? people are selling them for 350+ dollars when they're like 250ish on some sites '-' I'm probabky wrong tho

11 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

is the r9 390 also a high demand gpu for mining?

Yup, basically all AMD cards from the past few years. Even the HD 7990s will do around 36MH/s compared to the RX 480s 25MH/s but the power draw is higher which is why the RX 480 is the more efficient option.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Yup, basically all AMD cards from the past few years. Even the HD 7990s will do around 36MH/s compared to the RX 480s 25MH/s but the power draw is higher which is why the RX 480 is the more efficient option.

interesting. I don't have my own pc yet but I am planning on using an r9 280x (I know that's not what I said but I'll probably get the 280x for free from a friend) for mining, dunno how that'll go tbh

1 minute ago, Ricardo56 said:

interesting. I don't have my own pc yet but I am planning on using an r9 280x (I know that's not what I said but I'll probably get the 280x for free from a friend) for mining, dunno how that'll go tbh

Expect the PC to be very loud, very hot, and only make ~$1 per day after the cost of electricity. Expect a noticeable jump in your electric bill also.

-KuJoe

58 minutes ago, Alpha297 said:

I'm confused.  Same GPU, RX 580.  The more expensive one has less VRAM. THe cheaper one also has better clock on the compare page.

Is it because it's not red, and that's worth a few hundred dollars to some people?

huinwT6.png

Its cuz of the crypto mining hype, I did not bother reading the posts above but I know they all saying the same. AMD cards are better for mining, we got the same problem here in NL. All AMD gpu's are either sold out or being sold for ridiculous high resale. 

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Expect the PC to be very loud, very hot, and only make ~$1 per day after the cost of electricity. Expect a noticeable jump in your electric bill also.

I'm not the one paying :P I might run it at like 50%

12 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

I'm not the one paying :P I might run it at like 50%

You might end up being the one paying if the bill spikes because of you. ;)

1 minute ago, Alpha297 said:

You might end up being the one paying if the bill spikes because of you. ;)

naaaaaaah they won't noticeee 

inb4 grounded (even more than I already am and would be after getting a pc)