Apple External GPU Dev Kit is CHEAP!

8 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Could you amplify ? I dont understand what you mean.

I thought the "dev kit" is just a temporary thing while apple let all the devs to test some water. 

Like :" here, use these hardware to develop and see where it goes" 

While the real dock is coming later. And it will be more unified, it will work on all apple laptops/all in ones. 

Yes, but they would drop support for the dev kits that are made by Sonnit

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I love being a bystander when debates like that go haywire. :P

You know in buddhism buddha said if other people can provoke you and make you rage that means that all the rage is already inside you, that the problem is within yourself not others ? 

When those fanboys trash out un logical comment , I felt very internal organ of me burning like a fireball that come out of the sky. 

I just really really want to prove how illogical some of people are... But. hey, you can't argue with people like that... 

inferno-fire-background-huge-explosion-fireball-there-house-roof-bottom-image-scale-49627455.thumb.jpg.ef20048a208fbf5723c43e7a69b22de9.jpg

So... I might have a problem.....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

You need to remember that you can only use Mac compatible external GPUs.

So your choices is very limited, and graphics cards for Mac cost more.

Update: I was mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Miller1218 said:

Yes, but they would drop support for the dev kits that are made by Sonnit

I suspect they will. When next year the whole iMac line have a revamp. 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

If this eGPU does become a standard thing for apple, prepare for more price jump when apple made their own enclosure. 

I think apple might have a certain models of GPU made just for apple's dock. 

And it will be pricy. 

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Didn't Nvidia released drivers for the 10 series GPUs? Even though no Mac comes with one.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Nope. 9to5 Mac made a GTX 1080 and a couple NVIDIA graphics cards work on the 2016 MacBook Pro.

Also, NVIDIA already released drivers for the Mac

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

58 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

:x Awesome! So now can people stop complaining about the GPUs in MacBook Pros and iMacs being so weak? 

No, now you have to pay 600$ extra for a computer already massively overpriced.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/04/nvidia-releases-beta-gpu-drivers-for-old-mac-pros-and-hackintoshes/

That and, most cards have hacks for them to work on macs these days, mostly thanks to the hackintosh scene. Its part of what makes the 2012 Mac pro desktops still viable. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

51 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

BUT.... It isn't a proprietary connector, is it? As far as I know, it's a normal USB-C/TB3 connector, so it shouldn't be locked to only Apple machines. Also, since no one seems to notice this, Macs are not expensive compared to the competition. Get any other one piece machined aluminum PC, with a high-end i7 and decent work (not gaming) dGPU, and it'll be around the same price point. 

This ^^^

1 minute ago, Spenser1337 said:

And this:

25 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

With Apple, they ship all their Macs with a single version of macOS and you can run Windows on a Mac (Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, or VMWare Fusion).

Microsoft on the other hand ships their beautifully crafted laptops with a highly redacted Windows 10S which doesn't make sense because all of it's promised features like security are already available in the Group Policy settings in the Pro, Enterprise and Education versions of Windows and a single type A USB without the option for faster IO.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

This ^^^

And this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/5781142.p?skuId=5781142

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC4Z55P9872&cm_re=4K-_-24-025-407-_-Product

heres your new pc, it doesn't cost 5 grand and if you want to upgrade the screen you don't need a new computer! Or vice versa

macs are expensive, link any mac you want and I will find an equivalent for cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

I'll just let Luke and Linus tell why. Start at 13:40 to 17:50.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I'll just let Luke and Linus tell why. Start at 13:40 to 17:50.

I didn't really ask a question I made a statement.

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

BUT.... It isn't a proprietary connector, is it? As far as I know, it's a normal USB-C/TB3 connector, so it shouldn't be locked to only Apple machines. Also, since no one seems to notice this, Macs are not expensive compared to the competition. Get any other one piece machined aluminum PC, with a high-end i7 and decent work (not gaming) dGPU, and it'll be around the same price point. 

This ^^^

XbawFXa.png

No.  You're telling me an all aluminum case is worth 1,800$?? On top of losing out on a much better gpu and more physical ports (reducing cost as you dont need to buy dongles)

Get your mac then if a uni body case is really worth that much to you. 

2 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/5781142.p?skuId=5781142

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC4Z55P9872&cm_re=4K-_-24-025-407-_-Product

heres your new pc, it doesn't cost 5 grand and if you want to upgrade the screen you don't need a new computer! Or vice versa

macs are expensive, link any mac you want and I will find an equivalent for cheaper. 

OK. Take the new iMac Pro. Try and build an 18 core Xeon CPU, with a 3GB/s SSD (That's fast. it's not Gb/s, but GB/s. You can';t even get those), 128GB ECC Memory, a high end 16GB HM2 or whatever Vega equivalent GPU, 5K screen, 4xTB3, etc. And then fit it all behind the screen and slap it on your desk. It may thermal throttle, but it'll still whip most comparable All-in-ones. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

OK. Take the new iMac Pro. Try and build an 18 core Xeon CPU, with a 3GB/s SSD (That's fast. it's not Gb/s, but GB/s. You can';t even get those), 128GB ECC Memory, a high end 16GB HM2 or whatever Vega equivalent GPU, 5K screen, 4xTB3, etc. And then fit it all behind the screen and slap it on your desk. It may thermal throttle, but it'll still whip most comparable All-in-ones. 

I could probably put this together for around 3500$ all things considered. Would be much cheaper when threadripper comes out because you're locked to intel for ecc ATM. Even in this case, is being an all in one worth a 1500$ price premium? 

I don't really care who made it, Lenovo, apple or Santa Claus. I just see the macs and I don't understand who they're tailored to. It seems like people just dish out insane amounts of money that could have been saved with 5 minutes of research.

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

-snip-

Get your mac then if a uni body case is really worth that much to you. 

It's not just the unibody case, it's the overall build quality. And I'm used to and fine with paying extra for good looks. But this isn't really any more expensive than a Surface Pro, which can't run Mac, has no TB3 that I'm aware of, etc. The MacBook Pro can run Windows and Mac, and it has multiple TB3 ports, ad updated support for eGPUs. And I'm not saying everyone should get a Mac. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they overpriced? No, they are completely reasonable for what you get. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Spenser1337 said:

I could probably put this together for around 3500$ all things considered. Would be much cheaper when threadripper comes out because you're locked to intel for ecc ATM. Even in this case, is being an all in one worth a 1500$ price premium? 

I don't really care who made it, Lenovo, apple or Santa Claus. I just see the macs and I don't understand who they're tailored to. It seems like people just dish out insane amounts of money that could have been saved with 5 minutes of research.

Won't be cheaper with AMD, as you still don't have 4xTB3, plus an insanely good 5K display (and the other really good ones are only super good with a Mac). And it will probably be unstable if you try and run macOS, as It only works well with older hardware. 

Main PC 

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Won't be cheaper with AMD, as you still don't have 4xTB3, plus an insanely good 5K display (and the other really good ones are only super good with a Mac). And it will probably be unstable if you try and run macOS, as It only works well with older hardware. 

It will most definitely be cheaper with amd, and why would I run macOS?

Just now, Zando Bob said:

It's not just the unibody case, it's the overall build quality. And I'm used to and fine with paying extra for good looks. But this isn't really any more expensive than a Surface Pro, which can't run Mac, has no TB3 that I'm aware of, etc. The MacBook Pro can run Windows and Mac, and it has multiple TB3 ports, ad updated support for eGPUs. And I'm not saying everyone should get a Mac. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they overpriced? No, they are completely reasonable for what you get. 

Cant compare it to a surface, these two machines have different use cases. Surface is a large touch screen which is a massive cost in itself, and then the pen functionality thats specific to the surface pen. Even then the top end model comes out cheaper than the mac book pro. Even the surface book with the Dgpu in the keyboard is still cheaper, while still having the touch screen and pen functions. Not to mention the dial function as well now. 

I dont really understand how you can say its reasonable for what you get. Aluminum case isnt 1800$. That alone makes it unreasonable. 400$ for a 1tb drive is unreasonable. 600$ for ram upgrades is unreasonable. Glued in screen to the case is unreasonable (lol that build quality). Build quality has always been an issue over time, just look up how many issues the unibody has over the course of a few years. 

At every corner you get jipped by apple. 

There's also eGPU support for Thunderbolt 2, that's good news for people with 2013-2015 MacBook Pro's.

5 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

It will most definitely be cheaper with amd, and why would I run macOS?

If you are trying to build a MacBook Pro or iMac killer, it'll need to run macOS, or else how can it compete? And AMD, as of yet, does not support Thunderbolt 3, which is a massively fast I/O, that's capable of driving a 5K display with speakers and extra ports off of one cable. 

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Cant compare it to a surface, these two machines have different use cases. Surface is a large touch screen which is a massive cost in itself, and then the pen functionality thats specific to the surface pen. Even then the top end model comes out cheaper than the mac book pro. Even the surface book with the Dgpu in the keyboard is still cheaper, while still having the touch screen and pen functions. Not to mention the dial function as well now. 

I dont really understand how you can say its reasonable for what you get. Aluminum case isnt 1800$. That alone makes it unreasonable. 400$ for a 1tb drive is unreasonable. 600$ for ram upgrades is unreasonable. Glued in screen to the case is unreasonable (lol that build quality). Build quality has always been an issue over time, just look up how many issues the unibody has over the course of a few years. 

At every corner you get jipped by apple. 

Boy, I've really started a flame war, haven't I? I think you guys are misunderstanding me. Am I an Apple fanboy? yes. But I don't recommend a Mac for every use case. PCs are much better for enterprise applications, especially things like MS office and QuickBooks desktop. They are also much more cost effective in many scenarios. I'm am not saying everyone should get Macs and they are the best in any scenario. The classic Mac user is a well off millennial who admires minimalist designs, and is a designer him/herself. Basically, Macs are aimed towards creative types, who want to create beautiful things while working on a beautiful computer, thus why they include GarageBand and iMovie, along with Photos and such, and also have a big push for Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro. They are also handy for older people who mess up Windows as soon as they touch it. 

TL;DR: I'm an Apple fanboy, but a reasonable one, who also prefers PC for certain applications. And I'm tired of people saying Macs are overpriced. For what you use them for, and why you buy them, they are perfectly good computers. 

Main PC