Buying Ryzen? Confused about ram? Read here

Just now, Aeternalis said:

So would it be prudent to get a better kit when I have the funds?

Depends on your gpu and monitor, if you're running a 1060 on a 60hz monitor there won't be much to be gained. If you go higher refresh I would get a faster set yes 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

Depends on your gpu and monitor, if you're running a 1060 on a 60hz monitor there won't be much to be gained. If you go higher refresh I would get a faster set yes 

I always go for as high of a framerate as possible. Over 60 will be smoother than 60, even on a 60 hz monitor. This is why.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

39 minutes ago, Aeternalis said:

I always go for as high of a framerate as possible. Over 60 will be smoother than 60, even on a 60 hz monitor. This is why.

Haha I know this, what I meant was you aren't going to notice the difference if you're gpu bound in your games, if like said previously you have like a 1080 running on 144hz (or any 1080p) you will probably find that the cpu is the bottleneck. If you're in this situation the faster memory will help a lot 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

15 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Haha I know this, what I meant was you aren't going to notice the difference if you're gpu bound in your games, if like said previously you have like a 1080 running on 144hz (or any 1080p) you will probably find that the cpu is the bottleneck. If you're in this situation the faster memory will help a lot 

Fair enough. Thanks for the help!

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

Dude, you're awesome for making this post. You definitely cleared up some questions I had about this issue.

I've been on the fence about pairing the Gigabyte x370 Gaming K7 with G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16gb 3200 (cas 16) for a while now. 

I feel safer pulling the trigger now that I have more of an understanding on the topic.

Thanks! :)

5 hours ago, numz said:

Dude, you're awesome for making this post. You definitely cleared up some questions I had about this issue.

I've been on the fence about pairing the Gigabyte x370 Gaming K7 with G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16gb 3200 (cas 16) for a while now. 

I feel safer pulling the trigger now that I have more of an understanding on the topic.

Thanks! :)

No problem. That is the same kit I have. Let me give you even more assurance - so I was able to hit 3333mhz with slack timings and 1.5v - however the kit wouldn't boot at XMP. 

I did some fault finding yesterday which basically made me aware that a stick is faulty hence the XMP issue, one stick boots both channels at XMP and 1.35v the other refused so I'm rma-ing the ram tomorrow 

point is that one stick works flawlessly so a good pair will also

Ryzen Ram Guide

3 hours ago, stealth80 said:

No problem. That is the same kit I have. Let me give you even more assurance - so I was able to hit 3333mhz with slack timings and 1.5v - however the kit wouldn't boot at XMP. 

I did some fault finding yesterday which basically made me aware that a stick is faulty hence the XMP issue, one stick boots both channels at XMP and 1.35v the other refused so I'm rma-ing the ram tomorrow 

point is that one stick works flawlessly so a good pair will also

Ah ok. That's pretty unlucky about the faulty stick. Still awesome that you were able to squeeze 3333mhz out of it, though. Hopefully your new kit will fly! 

I had another question if you don't mind - I had my eyes on the Gaming K7, but noticed that you have the K5. Do you think the K7 is worth? Or should I save a few bucks and go with the K5? I'm honestly not too sure what the advantages would be. I guess I figured the K7 would be a better option since it's the flagship board and most likely to be updated more frequently, but I'm not sure 

1 hour ago, numz said:

Ah ok. That's pretty unlucky about the faulty stick. Still awesome that you were able to squeeze 3333mhz out of it, though. Hopefully your new kit will fly! 

I had another question if you don't mind - I had my eyes on the Gaming K7, but noticed that you have the K5. Do you think the K7 is worth? Or should I save a few bucks and go with the K5? I'm honestly not too sure what the advantages would be. I guess I figured the K7 would be a better option since it's the flagship board and most likely to be updated more frequently, but I'm not sure 

My board is the gaming auros 5 it isn't a k5. I went with that primarily cause of good reviews and it is white. The k5 typically waits longer for newer bios,s than both. The k series offer bclk over clocking which isn't that necessary anymore

Ryzen Ram Guide

The OP is right. But we are heading towards the 5 months now. I need to cut deals sooner or later, pff forced to wait! Will it be the 7700k almost with a near a 70-90 drop in price after all? I hope not. Thread ripper better make things up. What bout the new agesa update?

1 hour ago, Goildzy said:

The OP is right. But we are heading towards the 5 months now. I need to cut deals sooner or later, pff forced to wait! Will it be the 7700k almost with a near a 70-90 drop in price after all? I hope not. Thread ripper better make things up. What bout the new agesa update?

Ok to clear a few things, its only 3 months since Ryzen launched (March 17) and to be fair the motherboard makers, they didn't have much time to work with the bios's. If you look around on manufacturers forums there are beta bios's around already using the Agesa 1006 update which helped a lot of people no end. Majority of people are able to run at uptown 3200+ if their ram is capable - 3600 is still a sticking point for e die, hynix and Micron, but it will get better.

It still remains if purely gaming and at 1080P a 7700k will give higher max/average albeit surrendering minimums to Ryzen + high speed ram.

If doing ANYTHING else other than that, Ryzen wins. 

Keep in mind that Threadripper is AMD's assault on the X99/X299 platform and is already shaking things up at Intel, the whole X299 release looks like a rushed response to the AMD announcement.

It's all good for the enthusiast 

Ryzen Ram Guide

+1 for pin

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

is there a real appreciable performance difference between 3200mhz and 3600mhz 2x8 sticks of ram with a 1600x?

40 minutes ago, wade wilson said:

is there a real appreciable performance difference between 3200mhz and 3600mhz 2x8 sticks of ram with a 1600x?

the processor doesn't really matter, it's down to the infinity fabric latency been reduced by faster ram. Theres been some testing to find out if a specific fabric speed (exactly half ram speed) benefits a specific processor speed. 

The difference between 3200 and 3600 isn't as great as say 2800 to 3200. However there is still la difference and obviously 3600mhz ram will more than likely run higher again giving even more benefit, I haven't seen any risen testing done with ram running faster than 3600mhz though

Ryzen Ram Guide

47 minutes ago, wade wilson said:

worth a watch

Ryzen Ram Guide

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seen a few questions of late reference Ryzen and ram - I will update this thread to include X399 as and when it becomes available

Ryzen Ram Guide

Updated:

Ryzen Capacity affect

Upcoming X399 info

Ryzen Ram Guide

I have a suggestion for this guide: Add a list of popular motherboards, and under each one some high frequency RAM that's compatible.  It would be more work but it would be incredibly useful.  People could easily refer to it instead of tracking down the QVL every time, then searching each model for prices.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I have a suggestion for this guide: Add a list of popular motherboards, and under each one some high frequency RAM that's compatible.  It would be more work but it would be incredibly useful.  People could easily refer to it instead of tracking down the QVL every time, then searching each model for prices.

Well how do we define what popular is? That could end been a very long list and it would need updating very regularly as new kits are tested and new bios's are released offering more compatibility.

I thought about this a little more, and it actually isn't too hard so I have added around 20+ boards the first section with links to the boards QVL.

Ryzen Ram Guide

Update 2

Links to popular X370 and B350 boards Memory QVL added

Ryzen Ram Guide

14 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Update 2

Links to popular X370 and B350 boards Memory QVL added

Awesome, I added it to my signature.  As tedious as it will be, I need to go through the lists to try to find some 3200MHz RAM that's compatible with all or most of the boards.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

How do we go about getting stuff pinned? The issue is that I feel (correct me if I'm wrong) having this pinned would save a lot of questions regarding this subject, as we all know, forum searches are rarely carried out

Ryzen Ram Guide

Just replying to this topic to use as reference when I eventually get a Ryzen CPU.

Although out of curiosity, would it be worth it to just stick with lower clocked RAM with a Ryzen 3 CPU? Since Ryzen 3 is budget orientated and not that powerful in the first place, I would be curious if it would even be worthwhile to pay much extra for higher clocked RAM

3 hours ago, genericusername said:

Just replying to this topic to use as reference when I eventually get a Ryzen CPU.

Although out of curiosity, would it be worth it to just stick with lower clocked RAM with a Ryzen 3 CPU? Since Ryzen 3 is budget orientated and not that powerful in the first place, I would be curious if it would even be worthwhile to pay much extra for higher clocked RAM

The Ryzen 3 is still based on a 2 + 2 arrangement, so it will have the same latency issues as it's more expensive brothers. That said, good fast ram in case could end up costing more than the CPU itself - the only thing to consider here is that you could get the fast ram now and then if you upgrade to a 5 or 7 later, you can re-use it rather than buy faster ram.

Ryzen Ram Guide

On 6/3/2017 at 5:09 PM, stealth80 said:

I think my wife would categorically castrate me

This kind of putrid feminization of western men is why we are being invaded by low-IQ third-worlders, why crime and rape is skyrocketing all over Europe as treasonous governments pour in more Islamic and negroid hordes, in order to expand the parasitic welfare/police state.