Buying Ryzen? Confused about ram? Read here

6 hours ago, thanulee said:

Hey guys, so im getting a x399 Taichi board for 1950X TR. Is this ram ok https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-64gtzsw ? Or this https://www.skroutz.gr/s/8855203/G-Skill-TridentZ-64GB-DDR4-3200MHz-F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ.html?from=favorites_popup ? Both do not appear in QVL. Im far from technical on this so i just need recommendations. Also tell me if this board is ok or if i should look other combos.
I need this for 3d rendering so stability is no1 for me. I dont even know if the 3200 speeds will have advantages when rendering instead of gaming? Any tips/thoughts appreciated! thanks

Go with the second option as it is CAS 14, will play nicer with Ryzen 

faster ram will help with everything it’s just more prevalent in gaming 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

• 3 months later...

Hello stealth80!

Looks like you have had a lot of practice with your mb-ram) Maybe you could help me...

I have bought new PC - msi x470 gaming pro carbon ac, Ryzen2600x, Corsair vengance RGB 3000mhz 2x8gb.

At the beginning, when I built it, i put ram sticks to slots DIMMA2-DIMMB2 as MSI writes in the sheet - all ram was seen by bios and windows but 8gb were reserved by the hardware.

After that I put one stick to each slot - DIMMA1,2 worked. DIMMB1,2 - system did not boot and led debug indicator showed ram issue (pict2)

When I put two sticks to DIMMA1,2 - all 16gb were available and i was even able to boost speed to 3000mhz.

On msi website it says that for this MB this ram has single size 8gb. Does it mean that if I put ram to A2-B2 additional capacity just does not supported?

I have contacted MSI support but they did not say anything useful, just that one stick of ram should work in each slot and to contact the retailer.

Have you faced this problem? Does the reason lies in the broken MB or it is something else and i don't understand correctly.

It's just strange for me, because if DIMMB1,2 slots were broken, I shouldn't see anything when plug in them. But at the very beginning, when i put ram to A2-B2, both sticks of ram were identified correctly, i just couldn't use half of it and overclock at all (pict1)

Hope I have explained the problem well. Looking for your help.

Nick

I3gnub6hWJc.jpg

O0_GWbjrcTw.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick2711 said:

Hello stealth80!

Looks like you have had a lot of practice with your mb-ram) Maybe you could help me...

I have bought new PC - msi x470 gaming pro carbon ac, Ryzen2600x, Corsair vengance RGB 3000mhz 2x8gb.

At the beginning, when I built it, i put ram sticks to slots DIMMA2-DIMMB2 as MSI writes in the sheet - all ram was seen by bios and windows but 8gb were reserved by the hardware.

After that I put one stick to each slot - DIMMA1,2 worked. DIMMB1,2 - system did not boot and led debug indicator showed ram issue (pict2)

When I put two sticks to DIMMA1,2 - all 16gb were available and i was even able to boost speed to 3000mhz.

On msi website it says that for this MB this ram has single size 8gb. Does it mean that if I put ram to A2-B2 additional capacity just does not supported?

I have contacted MSI support but they did not say anything useful, just that one stick of ram should work in each slot and to contact the retailer.

Have you faced this problem? Does the reason lies in the broken MB or it is something else and i don't understand correctly.

It's just strange for me, because if DIMMB1,2 slots were broken, I shouldn't see anything when plug in them. But at the very beginning, when i put ram to A2-B2, both sticks of ram were identified correctly, i just couldn't use half of it and overclock at all (pict1)

Hope I have explained the problem well. Looking for your help.

Nick

I had this exact/similar issue when I first built my rig. Try reseating your CPU, remove the cooler, clean the paste off (if you have more) and totally remove and refit the CPU. The mounting mechanism for AM4 isn't great. This fixed the issue for me, it was a last resort as I thought the mobo was a DOA 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Removed the CPU and found this....I couldn't do it by myself, right?)

Hope retailer will change it...

hkpX84IHkk8.jpg

1 hour ago, Nick2711 said:

Removed the CPU and found this....I couldn't do it by myself, right?)

Hope retailer will change it...

it looks like you fitted the CPU in the incorrect orientation - I would be surprised the retailer will refund unless you had some kind of insurance. Worth a try though 

Ryzen Ram Guide

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, bermuda1011 said:

Hi

Sorry to bug :_)

Will the ryzen 3 2200g work with this ram 

https://www.rebeltech.co.za/16633-team-vulcan-ddr4-2400-8gb-kit.html

Kind Regards

depends on the board, but support is much better on ryzen 2, keep in mind if using it as an APU, the ram speed is very important

Ryzen Ram Guide