MO vs NMM for modding my Bethesda games?

Theminecraftaddict555

I am just starting my modded playthrough of elder scrolls skyrim & oblivion, fallout 3 and NV. I am wondering which mod manager is the best for my needs

I want to make sure that the MO

-Is user friendly

-Good at managing mods and reducing mod conflicts

-Allow multiple profiles to be loaded with different mod setups

-Easy mod installation

-Ensuring mods will not break or conflict with the game

-Ensure data directory of games will be safe (Heard that NMM doesn't do this, but this might have changed as of now)

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

I've been using NMM for years with no issues whatsoever.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I've preferred Mod Organizer since it looks a bit cleaner, easily makes profiles for different mod sets and experimentation, and is a tad easier to change mods after the facts.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

-Ensuring mods will not break or conflict with the game

-Ensure data directory of games will be safe (Heard that NMM doesn't do this, but this might have changed as of now)

Whether mods break the game or create conflict can have a lot to do with the order in which you load your mods. There are programs to help your mod load-order organize to reduce conflicts, but whether you get your mods from one source or another won't make a difference in this regard.

NMM doesn't install mods directly into a game's folder, so the game directory doesn't get touched when using NMM mods. The only time game directory files will be modified is when you manually install a mod into the directory folder. There are mods on NMM that require this, but they're generally mods that can't be installed any other way, and those mods don't install through NMM, but are just available for download on the NMM site. If Bethesda's mod site doesn't allow mods that install to the game directory, then those mods will simply not be available at Bethesda's mod site.

Edit: I may not have understood what Mod Organizer is. I though it is a term for Bethesda's mod site. I haven't played a Bethesda game in a while. I'm leery about their mod support plans, though, because Bethesda wants to do paid mods, and tried it before through Steam, but there was a large backlash and Steam stopped the program pretty quickly. But Bethesda has said they still want to do paid mods.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

16 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Whether mods break the game or create conflict can have a lot to do with the order in which you load your mods. There are programs to help your mod load-order organize to reduce conflicts, but whether you get your mods from one source or another won't make a difference in this regard.

NMM doesn't install mods directly into a game's folder, so the game directory doesn't get touched when using NMM mods. The only time game directory files will be modified is when you manually install a mod into the directory folder. There are mods on NMM that require this, but they're generally mods that can't be installed any other way, and those mods don't install through NMM, but are just available for download on the NMM site. If Bethesda's mod site doesn't allow mods that install to the game directory, then those mods will simply not be available at Bethesda's mod site.

Edit: I may not have understood what Mod Organizer is. I though it is a term for Bethesda's mod site. I haven't played a Bethesda game in a while. I'm leery about their mod support plans, though, because Bethesda wants to do paid mods, and tried it before through Steam, but there was a large backlash and Steam stopped the program pretty quickly. But Bethesda has said they still want to do paid mods.

From what I seen MO can install nmm mods and manual mods without placing them into the data folder

As far as I know, NMM has added all the features of MO, even though it took them awhile.  I definitely prefer NMM.  It's more of a personal preference on the GUI.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

As far as I know, NMM has added all the features of MO, even though it took them awhile.  I definitely prefer NMM.  It's more of a personal preference on the GUI.

Not all from what i have seen, it has a lot of similar MO features though...

On 6/1/2017 at 7:51 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Actually after testing some files out for NMM on skyrim special edition, mods are installed and put into the data folder of the game from my test 

Seems like i might have to go with the MO routre 

MO is the shit for Skyrim, at least. If you can, it's largely preferable, as it's a complete virtual install, whereas NMM tends to overwrite other mods, and in term, can break them. It also doesn't crash when handling large files, which is another fairly large bonus. It's also super easy to manage the load order and that, as it's just drag and drop. So you can drag and drop the install order, AND the load order.

NMM can be pretty painful at times, especially when dealing with a large amount of mods.

No mod manager will absolutely prevent mods from conflicting. That's on you. The tools are there in MO, but you have to use them.

I use NMM. Works without Issues and is easy to use.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Depending on the sort of mods you're using, 'overwriting' other mods is useful and REQUIRED as part of mod load order for some more complex mod families that add rather... unique items to a game's world.

Having used NMM for a few years now, only problem I've had with it is futzing around with MultiHD for some particular games where some crap needed by NMM is on C: Drive when I want to use E: or F: drives for the game & mod locations, since those games do NOT like having their configs and crap located outside of <user>\My Documents\My Games.

There used to be a difference way back (like 2 years or so ago, maybe 3), but as far as I'm aware they're basically the same now.
But because of said differences a while back I started using MO over NMM for the added features, I forget what they are now and I've been using the same version of MO since I installed it.

Either way basically the same now iirc, but personally I prefer MO just because I'm used to it

I make bad life decisions.