Split a single ethernet cord

enome
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

just use a switch, it will do just that.

Can you split a single ethernet cable coming from a router/modem combo for two PCs?

been googling this question for days but still haven't came to a clear solution.

So the idea behind this is that I have a super long ethernet cable coming from one side of my house to the other for my desktop.

I have an unused computer that I plan on putting this into my room, but would really like it to be a wired connection for both of these desktops.

Visual-wise

.----------.                                       __  _ 
| Router   |                          .---------> [__]|=|
|   Modem  |                          |           /::/|_|
|  Combo   |    across the house    .----.
|          |----------------------->|  ? |
|          |                        '----'
'----------'                          |           __  _ 
                                      |          [__]|=|
                                      '--------->/::/|_|

Can I put a network switch in the ? mark box to have these two desktops on wired connection off a single Cat5e cable coming from the modem/router combo?

Thanks in advance

12 minutes ago, enome said:

Can you split a single ethernet cable coming from a router/modem combo for two PCs?

Can I put a network switch in the ? mark box to have these two desktops on wired connection off a single Cat5e cable coming from the modem/router combo?

Simply buy an inexpensive GigaBit Network Switch and put it where the ? is in your ASCII art diagram. 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

IF you don't want to spend 10-15$ on a network switch, but you have a tool to put connectors at the end of a cable, you can split the wires from the cable into a couple of connectors.

The downside is that the maximum speed each computer will have will be 100 mbps.

Network cables have 8 wires, arranged in 4 pairs. For the 100mbps network standard, only 4 out of the 8 wires are used, so you can actually put 4 wires into one network jack and the other 4 wires into another connector.

These are the two standard ways you would install a connector at the end of a cable, and it would work for 100mbps or 1 gbps. But for 100 mbps only wires 1, 2, 3 and 6 have to be inside the connector.

Wiring-patch.png.691ed93165cfd5553c7ad04f2f01d919.png

So to create 2  x 100 mbps connections  at both ends of the cable, you'd have two jacks on each end. 

First jack will be :  [  white-orange | orange | white-green | nothing | nothing | green | nothing | nothing ]  

Second jack will be [ white-blue  | blue | white-brown | nothing | nothing | brown | nothing | nothing ] 

and an identical arrangement at the other end of the cable.

Of course, you'd need two ports in the router as well.

Anyway, buying a gigabit or 100 mbps network switch will be simpler and give up at least 4 ports, not just 2 ...

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

IF you don't want to spend 10-15$ on a network switch, but you have a tool to put connectors at the end of a cable, you can split the wires from the cable into a couple of connectors.

The downside is that the maximum speed each computer will have will be 100 mbps.

Network cables have 8 wires, arranged in 4 pairs. For the 100mbps network standard, only 4 out of the 8 wires are used, so you can actually put 4 wires into one network jack and the other 4 wires into another connector.

These are the two standard ways you would install a connector at the end of a cable, and it would work for 100mbps or 1 gbps. But for 100 mbps only wires 1, 2, 3 and 6 have to be inside the connector.

Wiring-patch.png.691ed93165cfd5553c7ad04f2f01d919.png

So to create 2  x 100 mbps connections  at both ends of the cable, you'd have two jacks on each end. 

First jack will be :  [  white-orange | orange | white-green | nothing | nothing | green | nothing | nothing ]  

Second jack will be [ white-blue  | blue | white-brown | nothing | nothing | brown | nothing | nothing ] 

and an identical arrangement at the other end of the cable.

Of course, you'd need two ports in the router as well.

Anyway, buying a gigabit or 100 mbps network switch will be simpler and give up at least 4 ports, not just 2 ...

I know this isn't practical but I want to see if this would actually work... 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

I know this isn't practical but I want to see if this would actually work... 

It does. It's how these things work:

cables-to-go.jpg.aa83829228b18e6b829478e0473b0b9f.jpg

econ.gif.d8c846d6d9420b981aa4aa29bf63b26d.gif

But just to be clear, it is terrible. You should just use a switch.