Calculus as a name?

Sin Stalker
8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

@Sin Stalker

Have you and your wife decided on a name yet?

I am curious if you have decided yet and in that case, what you decided on.

Not at all. 

Also, after a lot of the vitriol of not only this forum but other forums I posted to, asking for feedback, my wife and I have needed a break from the name game.

Right now, instead of coming up with names, I'm doing alot of research on the science of names. The majority of the negatives haven't even been mentioned here and the majority of negatives mentioned here, actually show little to no validity in peer-reviewed studies. For instance, merely changing the spelling of the name has shown to cause cognitive delays in learning to spell. So suggestions to simply change the spelling of a common name are definitely out, but luckily I was't a big fan of that method anyway.

I'll update this when we decide on one, or at least once we have narrowed it down to a definite top three.

13 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

This is why kids get picked on.  Like not trying to be that guy, but using weird names will get your kid picked on as they grow up.  You might like the name, but you have to understand the psychology of children.  They will pick on your kid for this.

So this might be a bit of a stretch, but perhaps getting picked on isn't the end of the world and could end up becoming a positive thing in the long run (say, if you take your kid to karate and they build up the courage to beat up the bully). I think teaching a kid to defend themselves both psychologically and physically is more important than giving them a common name.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

This is why kids get picked on.  Like not trying to be that guy, but using weird names will get your kid picked on as they grow up.  You might like the name, but you have to understand the psychology of children.  They will pick on your kid for this.

I've yet to find any scientific evidence for this.

I've found that weird spelling alterations can hurt their spelling development.

I've found that having a name that is shared with the opposite sex can have negative effects.

I've found that "ethnic" sounding names can hurt them in adulthood. (More so in jobs and whatnot due to prejudices of others).

I've found that shorter names will statically enter the science and math fields, while longer names tend to enter the humanities.

I've found that there is a bell curve on unique names. Low income/educated individuals are more likely to do altered spelling, while middle income/education will do "normal" names and higher income/educated are more likely to go with names based on obscure references. 

I've found studies that show evidence for all of these and more. But none for increased bullying.

If a kid is going to get bullied, he/she will get bullied, no matter if he name is Jon or Artemis. If kids can find a way to make his/her name into ammo for teasing, they will. They will create a nickname, rhyme or a brand new name if they have to. 

2 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

If a kid is going to get bullied, he/she will get bullied, no matter if he name is Jon or Artemis. If kids can find a way to make his/her name into ammo for teasing, they will. They will create a nickname, rhyme or a brand new name if they have to. 

Well that's fallacious.

I don't buy into the "a weird name will destroy your kid's life because bullies will pick on it and drive them to suicide blah blah blah" stuff, but there's a certain range where the name absolutely will inspire the joke.

I remember hearing the administrator at my high school call a "Clifford Fomit" to the front office. If people were to pick on that kid's name, would you say that the name itself had nothing to do with it?

There was also a kid at a dissection summer camp named "Kenny." Sounds pretty unremarkable, sure, but every person he was introduced to made a forced "OH MY GOD HE KILLED KENNY" joke, and the completely flat and robotic way he reacted made it abundantly clear that he got that a lot. Nothing else about him, just his name did that.

Now, for a name like Calculus, the general reaction will just be "well that's odd," but he'll probably silently want to punch everyone in the room every time he hears an "I was doing Calculus" joke by the time he's 15.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 5:44 AM, LAwLz said:

@Sin Stalker

Have you and your wife decided on a name yet?

I am curious if you have decided yet and in that case, what you decided on.

I wanted to give an update. My son is due Friday and we do not have a set name yet. We went to another ultrasound today and were told he looks 9 lbs 13 oz. Given his large size, I joked he should be named Goliath. Then I made the joke Atlas, thinking of Atlas from an old game I used to play all the time, known as City of Heroes. There was a fallen memorial to a hero named Atlas who had the ability to grow to giant proportions like Giant Man.

So after that joke, my wife and I paused, looked at each other and said, "What do you think?" 

So needless to reiterate, we may have a name... I'll update again if anyone is interested.

46 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I wanted to give an update. My son is due Friday and we do not have a set name yet. We went to another ultrasound today and were told he looks 9 lbs 13 oz. Given his large size, I joked he should be named Goliath. Then I made the joke Atlas, thinking of Atlas from an old game I used to play all the time, known as City of Heroes. There was a fallen memorial to a hero named Atlas who had the ability to grow to giant proportions like Giant Man.

So after that joke, my wife and I paused, looked at each other and said, "What do you think?" 

So needless to reiterate, we may have a name... I'll update again if anyone is interested.

Well I have to say, if you are set on choosing a unique name then Atlas isn't that bad in my opinion. It's hell of a lot better than a lot of the other names you mentioned.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:27 PM, Sin Stalker said:

My criteria for a name is it must be related to math, science (preferably quantum mechanics, astrophysics and/or cosmology), sci-fi, superheroes and/or comic books.

• Tacitus - Roman senator and historian, author of the "the life of Claudius". 
  • Josephus - Jewish historian who documents the siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD, author of the works "Antiquities of the Jews" and "Jewish War". 
  • René as in René Descartés, inventor of the Cartesian coordinate system 
  • Galen - Roman physician and philosopher 
  • Neil as is Neil DeGrasse Tyson 
  • Michio as in Michio Kaku, a well known theoretical physicist 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 4/8/2017 at 5:09 PM, Sin Stalker said:

I doubt bullies will know what Calculus is and they would probably only know the kid as Cal. "Why'd your parents name you after a state?"

Cal is cool. My dad is named Dean, but everyone calls him Cal. His dad's nickname was Cal as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

27 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:
  • Tacitus - Roman senator and historian, author of the "the life of Claudius". 
  • Josephus - Jewish historian who documents the siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD, author of the works "Antiquities of the Jews" and "Jewish War". 
  • René as in René Descartés, inventor of the Cartesian coordinate system 
  • Galen - Roman physician and philosopher  Imperial Scientist who made many breakthroughs in Kyber Crystal technology. 
  • Neil as is Neil DeGrasse Tyson 
  • Michio as in Michio Kaku, a well known theoretical physicist 

Fixed. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Fixed. 

Nah. I care more about true historical individuals with actual contributions to society. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Sin Stalker said:

His name is officially Atlas.

Eh - could be worse. Congrats.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

32 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

His name is officially Atlas.

Atlas is a good name. Easy to spell phonetically, short and easy to write and say, but still sounds unique. Sounds like it would go well with most last names, too.

I'm Koby. I really like my name, but every time I tell somebody my name I also have to mention that "it's with a K and a Y." Inconvenient.

I used to be quite active here.