Calculus as a name?

Sin Stalker

Save up for counselling sessions for your child, hopefully he hits the pen for a dime bit and saves you the money.

There are unique main stream names you can choose from. Maybe just change the spelling of one letter or something.

15 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Who says my culture is your culture? The way culture is, is not a logically fallacy Appeal to the People. 

The internet. Aside from a dwindling number of places in the world, global culture has homogenized to the point where most cultural differences are relatively trivial.

Or maybe the word Data, which has been used as a name.

And if someone were named Data, he would get the joke "so are you an android?" for the rest of his life.

So you can get behind a name that's easy to rhyme with a part of the female body? Talk about teasing.

I'm... Confused.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

9 hours ago, jldjul said:

You've been talking about how much you'd like your kid to have a really unique name. Yes, maybe he will be the only kid in America to be called "Calculus", but have you considered how much he will like being named after such a common word? Consider it like if you were named "work", "algebra" or "computing". Would you like it? 

Stop thinking about how much you like unique names and start thinking about how he will like it. You won't have to live with it. He will.

As I've said, I have no idea if he will like it or not. Your assume he will be in the majority opinion.

But you keep trying to make this point, as if it were a logically sound point, which it isn't. It is a logical fallacy you keep using.

So, to try another tactic, yes I think he will love being named Calculus.

Yes, I would have loved being named Calculus, had I had the type of parents my wife and I are.

But maybe a compromise: give him that as a second name. This way he will have a more common first name, won't be teased and you can still call him Cal if you feel the need for it.

His middle name is a normal name, due to the criteria I've setup with my wife that middle names are to honor past family members. More than likely, his middle name will be David.

For what it's worth I really like Ian (from whoever suggested it). But maybe I'm just a hopeless Jurassic Park fan.

Seems as though Calculus needs to be used as someone's name in some popular media, before people can expand their comfort and tolerance levels.

16 hours ago, yathis said:

Please please please pick a main stream name.

I beg you

That's a for sure, no.  Mainstream sucks.

15 hours ago, divito said:

Not wanting to subject your child to ridicule and bullying is "faulty" reasoning? My EQ/EI is incredibly low, and I'm generally considered a cold, logical, and un-empathetic person, and even I consider that pretty a ridiculous assessment of what has gone on in this thread.

No, the faulty reasoning is that mainstream name will somehow shield him from bullying.

Its also faulty reasoning that a unique name guarantees being bullied. 

Can a name be used as a tool for bullying, yes, but that does not exclude mainstream names.

I abhor societal trends and SJWs as much as anyone, but being logical also includes being able to evaluate and assimilate information that is readily available, and even though bias, bullying, and <insert societal complaint here> are not logical, you can't make it go away just because you want it to. You cannot plug your ears to actual empirical evidence of trends, bias, and the actions of others just because you think it's based on faulty reasoning; hint: the majority of beliefs and actions in the world are.

Hence why I don't support  beliefs or actions based on faulty logic.

Just because other's are doing it, does not make it logical or beneficial to do it myself.

And it is not logical to ignore other's beliefs and actions based on faulty logic. No ear plugging here. If I was plugging my ears, I would not be posting on forums for feedback. 

I regularly advocate that good and bad aren't real, they're just subjective societal concepts based on perspective; however, it doesn't mean I can just ignore millennia of learned behavior and habit in which to specify events and relate to the regular population. 

Not sure its societal concepts or pure perspective, but rather well-being. 

And you probably won't be able to ignore it. But that does not mean we can not try to overcome and evolve as a species.

At this point, the name Calculus is becoming more of a representation of human advancement, given the most common type of feedback I've gotten.

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Except it isn't more logical to use than Celsius.

And holy shit are you for real? Celsius is "based only on a bias perception of reality"? You have no idea what you're talking about. Celsius is based on the triple point of water, and the boiling point of water at 1 atmospheric pressure.

You realy don't see it do you? Your argument proves my point.

Why water and not some other molecule? Oh, because of human's bias perception of water. It makes sense, because we are dominantly H2O and need it for survival, but it is still based on a bias view of reality.

And before you think you're clever for knowing that different types of water boil at different temperatures, look up VSMOW.

l bad for your future child.

I'm a science major. I understand the relationship of phase matter with pressure and temperature. 

Celsius and Kelving are exactly equally "arbitrary" and "based on bias perception of reality" (which is a phrase I don't think you understand what it means).

Celsius is defined by the triple point of water, and Kelvin is defined by Celsius but offset by 273.16 degrees so that absolute zero becomes 0.

Yeah, so why have both? Oh, because Celsius came first and people are used to it.

Whereas Kelvin is Celsius 2.0. It goes from the lowest possible temperature to the greatest. This is not arbitrary, but rather defining the spectrum of temperature.

So out of no other reason but pure HABIT, we teach our children antiquated temperature scales, and then have to bog down their education, teaching them conversation so they can do scientific calculations. Unless they happen to be doing mere temperature change, at which case they can use some antiquated scales, due to magnitudes syncing.

There's a reason science uses Kelvin and not Celsius or Fahrenheit. With how complicated our universe is, our sciences and mathematics, it makes no sense to arbitrarily make it more complicated by using Celsius or Fahrenheit. 

Again, since you seem to be a logical person (but in this thread has proven to be anything but), what do you think sounds like the easiest and most logical thing to say in everyday life:

or:

They are are conveying the same exact thing! You are displaying only a sense of comfort from familiarity when saying the zero below!

And I very much doubt, without C, we would be saying that phrase. More than likely, the phrase would evolve to say, "be careful, its below freezing out there!", not having to specify below freezing for water, due to norms of living conditions. 

I like how you completely ignored my rational for why Celsius is more logical to use IN EVERYDAY SITUATIONS. But hey, keep living in your little bubble.

I haven't ignore your rational at all. I assessed it and found to be based on habit and nothing more. Its the same reason why so many refuse to get rid of Fahrenheit. You're used to it and probably never deal with its inadequacies in day to day life.

However, in my career, I have and will be dealing with it every day. Celsius, and any other temperature scale currently employed and retired is illogical to use when we have Kelvin.

Only one being closed-minded here, is yourself. Your only argument, which you ignore is out of habit, can also be phrased as "what sounds better", which is pure opinion. Which one sounds better is a matter of habit (based on what we know of the human brain).

But you can keep advocating for inferior temperature scales that can only be used in science on rare occasions when it happens to sync with the more logical Kelvin scale. 

I'm just going to ignore the rest of your post cause it devolves into false uses of logical fallacies and insults. That and your habit based support of Celsius is a great example of the Dunning-Kruger effect in action and motivated by a pure fear of change and lack of knowledge on the subject. Enjoy your inefficient redundancies! :P

Seems a bit weird to name your kid after hardened, yellow dental plaque, but hey, do what you want. He'll probably shorten it to 'Cal' and possibly change it legally when he turns 18. :P

20 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

No, the faulty reasoning is that mainstream name will somehow shield him from bullying.

Its also faulty reasoning that a unique name guarantees being bullied. 

No one claimed a more mainstream name with shield them from bullying (PS stop using strawmen), only that years of evidence, anecdotal or not, showcase that it can be mitigated. 

I feel this debate is sort of losing the point as we break down each piece. As a recent parent myself, I don't disagree with your premise, only that there are better choices than Calculus in this specific instance, in my opinion.

I give up. You clearly don't want to listen to reason. You're extremely close minded and full of yourself.

Feel free to think that Kelvin makes more sense than Celsius for everyday situations if you want (spoiler: it doesn't, which is why according to you we would stop using a scale altogether and just go for "it's freezing outside" instead of actually saying the temperature, because it would be so impractical to use Kelvin in everyday situations).

Also, feel free to name your child something (in my opinion, and the rest of this thread's, as well as reddit and your wife) idiotic if you want.

The most common type of feedback you're getting is that the name you came up with sucks. It's just that you put fingers in your ears and goes "lalalala" as soon as your view is challenged.

Question: Are you going to show this thread to your wife? Or are you planning to withhold it because everyone disagrees with you? You strike me as the type of guy who would withhold info if it did not agree with him.

41 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

You really don't see it do you? Your argument proves my point.

Why water and not some other molecule? Oh, because of human's bias perception of water. It makes sense, because we are dominantly H2O and need it for survival, but it is still based on a bias view of reality.

The Kelvin scale is also based on the triple point of water, at least for the moment.

It's likely going to be redefined with Boltzman's constant in 2018, but for now is literally just the Celsius scale shifted down to absolute zero. Mathematically, it doesn't have any direct relation to any other SI unit.

1 hour ago, Sin Stalker said:

There's a reason science uses Kelvin and not Celsius or Fahrenheit. With how complicated our universe is, our sciences and mathematics, it makes no sense to arbitrarily make it more complicated by using Celsius or Fahrenheit. 

So why not continue to base it on water if it makes sense for humans to do so? When communicating to other humans, isn't it logical to do so in a way that makes sense to us and is easy to understand? 

Also, *gasp*, you used the word "complicated." I thought you weren't concerned about that. For, science, yes, it is more complicated to use Celsius instead of Kelvin. For example, a lot of equations are set up to rely on Kelvin. There is no reason to add an extra layer of complexity to them by converting to Kelvin. Just like in everyday life, it doesn't make sense to add more complexity by asking us to remember extra, unnecessary numbers to understand what the temperature is. As @LAwLz said, I don't want to say, "Hey, it's 273 K outside. Wear a coat." 273 is such a random number for the freezing point of water, which is a good temperature to represent what an average human would find "cold." 0 is a more convenient number, easier to type, easier to convey...the range of temperatures is a factor as well. With Kelvin, the range of temperatures on Earth will range from a large number, 190 or so, to another large number, about 330 for surface temperatures, which is the main use I'm considering here. With Celsius, the range of temperatures is across smaller numbers, and given what I understand of humans' perception of temperature, it's easier to convey the idea of heat and cold. 

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

20 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Kelvin flows much quicker, is shorter and easier to spell than C and F. So your personal opinion is void of logic. But hey, you're used to it so why change to something more efficient when you can deal with conversions that create additional points of error to cost the human raise valuable resources.

I just noticed this reply, so sorry for not including it in the last one.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I said it would be painful to hear people say the units incorrectly, because they inevitably would.

1 hour ago, divito said:

I feel this debate is sort of losing the point as we break down each piece. As a recent parent myself, I don't disagree with your premise, only that there are better choices than Calculus in this specific instance, in my opinion.

That's completely cool. I'd love and appreciate suggestions that fit my criteria, if you think of anything.

1 hour ago, Scionyde said:

Seems a bit weird to name your kid after hardened, yellow dental plaque, but hey, do what you want. He'll probably shorten it to 'Cal' and possibly change it legally when he turns 18. :P

Possibly, and I'll fully support him if he does.

And also, he may go by his middle name. I'll probably be calling him Cal in normal everyday use.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I give up. You clearly don't want to listen to reason. You're extremely close minded and full of yourself.

Feel free to think that Kelvin makes more sense than Celsius for everyday situations if you want (spoiler: it doesn't, which is why according to you we would stop using a scale altogether and just go for "it's freezing outside" instead of actually saying the temperature, because it would be so impractical to use Kelvin in everyday situations).

1. Never said for every situation, just the one you provided where one "person" tells their "sweetie" to be careful because its below a relative point in temperature. 

2. Weather people already state its going to be "freezing", instead of below 0, all the time. They both can be used.

3. People would get used to the weatherman saying "its going to be below 273 tonight!" or to whatever decimal they will round it to. 

You are used to zero being the reference point. Nothing more or less practical for either in every day use. But with additional application, Kelvin is used.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

The Kelvin scale is also based on the triple point of water, at least for the moment.

It's likely going to be redefined with Boltzman's constant in 2018, but for now is literally just the Celsius scale shifted down to absolute zero. Mathematically, it doesn't have any direct relation to any other SI unit.

Yes, which shifting it makes it more logical and a better temperature scale for an intellectually advanced species.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Question: Are you going to show this thread to your wife? Or are you planning to withhold it because everyone disagrees with you? You strike me as the type of guy who would withhold info if it did not agree with him.

Already have shown her.

Despite your Dunning Kruger effected perception of the openness of my mind. 

15 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

So why not continue to base it on water if it makes sense for humans to do so? When communicating to other humans, isn't it logical to do so in a way that makes sense to us and is easy to understand? 

Its use made logical sense. We advanced through science by taking the common things to us humans. Water was the most common.

But that was a stepping stone, just as other methods were. Imperial was logical for its time, but now metric is replacing it (due to scientific reasons).

17 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

Also, *gasp*, you used the word "complicated." I thought you weren't concerned about that. For, science, yes, it is more complicated to use Celsius instead of Kelvin. For example, a lot of equations are set up to rely on Kelvin. There is no reason to add an extra layer of complexity to them by converting to Kelvin. Just like in everyday life, it doesn't make sense to add more complexity by asking us to remember extra, unnecessary numbers to understand what the temperature is. As @LAwLz said, I don't want to say, "Hey, it's 273 K outside. Wear a coat." 273 is such a random number for the freezing point of water, which is a good temperature to represent what an average human would find "cold." 0 is a more convenient number, easier to type, easier to convey...the range of temperatures is a factor as well. With Kelvin, the range of temperatures on Earth will range from a large number, 190 or so, to another large number, about 330 for surface temperatures, which is the main use I'm considering here. With Celsius, the range of temperatures is across smaller numbers, and given what I understand of humans' perception of temperature, it's easier to convey the idea of heat and cold. 

Asking, I'm stating the opposite. People who wish to use antequated scale systems are requesting that we "remember extra, unnecessary numbers". I'm stating only Kelvin, rather than having both Celsius and Kelvin. 

The range of numbers in everyday use is the same. You just have a different starting point of that range and end point. 

Using "190 or so" to "330" is just something we would get used to. Once people are used to it, the average person would better get the scope of something in the news, when a breakthrough in liquid helium's temperature is displayed or the temperature of a star discovered. 

All the same type of arguments to keep Celsius are the same type of arguments to keep Fahrenheit. 

And the most important aspect of going with Kelvin, is that with less scales around, it becomes easier to get the young into the sciences and higher education. There are alot more things that needs to be done of course, but fundamental to them is getting rid of antiquated systems like Celsius. The physicists and engineers we have, he more advanced our species can become. 

11 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I just noticed this reply, so sorry for not including it in the last one.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I said it would be painful to hear people say the units incorrectly, because they inevitably would.

No worries. I consider this whole thing one friendly conversation, except for maybe LAwlz. :P

At first they may say it or spell it incorrectly, but they would inevitably do it right, as time passed. 

(To take a more serious tone)

Perhaps the prudent thing is to have the middle name be something "unique" and then just give him a normal first name. Like you said, some people can choose to go by their middle name, and this way, it's a lot less risky. If your child ends up liking the unique middle name as he grows into adolescence, he can have people refer to him by his middle name.

Or, at the very least, pick a something that's already a name to begin with. Somebody already suggested Isaac, which I think is good since it instantly brings to mind Isaac Newton or Isaac Asimov. Or if you wanted to go fictional, maybe name him Kirk or something. 

A video posted earlier puts it perfectly, I think. A child's name isn't something that is unveiled once and is allowed to seep into the national consciousness. That name is going to have to be introduced constantly to strangers throughout your child's life. Choose poorly, and at best, it'll prompt confusion. At worst, mockery. 

On 4/8/2017 at 5:27 AM, Sin Stalker said:

My wife and I are expecting our second kid. We just found out its a boy and well, shit. I had a great girls name all ready to be used. As for boy's names, I've got a short list (still open, though) but the top pick (for me, not my wife) is Calculus. My wife was originally on board with the name but has switched to the dark side. I think due to other's reviews of the name. We both want lesser used or completely unused names, but nothing that sounds completely crazy. I'm not naming my kid Toaster (gotta stick with the criteria I list below). And Calculus sounds like it should have been an ancient name, like Romulus!

She recently posted on reddit about the name and I still don't think a single person has said anything positive about it.

My criteria for a name is it must be related to math, science (preferably quantum mechanics, astrophysics and/or cosmology), sci-fi, superheroes and/or comic books. I'm a fan of all of that and, should my brain not fail me, studying to be a physicist. I like Calulus (both the math and the name). I get that many have PTSD when it comes to math, but that's a problem with their teachers and education experience, not the subject itself. Calculus is amazing, both in application, practice and philosophically. I love it.

My math professor, as well as some engineering classmates/friends have stated they think the name is awesome, but perhaps they are just saying that to my face. So I thought I'd ask the community here; what do you think of the name Calculus (Cal for short)?

P.S. He'll have a traditional middle name (named after a family member) that he can fall back on if he has issues with it. So the potential of complete life ruining is unlikely.

P.P.S. Side note/story, I was almost named Jor-El, after superman's father (my fam needed a J name), but ended up with Joseph. I thought it would be neat if I "almost" called my kid Kal-El, but instead went with Calculus (or some other Cal/Kal portion name). 

I'm telling you  that this is not the most ideal name. Of course this is my opinion. A name can structure an entire childhood. In Eriksons psychosocial model we find that your child might be looking towards shame and doubt early on in their life. This can dramatically changer their adolescence. Names such as calculus are not bad names but the way my parents went around finding my name was they would find a name they liked and made fun of it as much as possible. They did this so that they would know the things I would have to deal with when I was a kid. And they were right! Kids are pretty cruel. No matter what when it boils down to it for all of grade school someone is going to call role call and people are not easily going to forget a boy named calculus. 

However i I do enjoy your personal belief to have a more unique name I would recommend not to name him a subject. That would be comparable to naming him English, or Science.

have you thought about Game of Thrones Names? Tyrion is an amazing name. Or Davos, Jorah.

Super heroes: 

The Green Lantern: The original was Alan Scott, however the most famous is Hal Jordan

Batman: Bruce Wayne

Spider-Man: Peter Parker

Iron Man: Tony Starks

Captain America: Steve Rogers

Green Hornet: Britt Reid

Incredible Hulk: David Bruce Banner

Superman: Clark Kent

Mr. Fantastic: Reed Richards

Zorro: Don Diego de la Vega

Captain Marvel: Billy Batson

The Flash: Barry Allen

Mr. Terrific: Stanley Beamish

Robin: Dick Grayson

Wolverine: Logan or James Howlett

Cyclops: Scott Summers

Phantom: Kit Walker, Jr.

i could easily get more behind these names. But then again it's your choice! This is only an opinion! I wanted to be constructive with you.

Add Me On Xbox -------------->   Zetaprime01

2 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Yes, which shifting it makes it more logical and a better temperature scale for an intellectually advanced species.

Doesn't make it any less clunky.

Think about the context: Kelvin is a more fundamental scale because it uses absolute values, ones which are not centered on an arbitrary point. This makes it much better suited for scientific and technical applications, as it requires no material reference and fits directly with our math.
The most common use of temperature in communication, though, is to describe how something feels. That purpose implies a material reference, otherwise it would be meaningless information to people. Celsius isn't for rigorous measurement, it's for experience -And so it's based around human experience.

Context is important in communication. Sometimes one thing is universally better than another, but other times it's like a scalpel versus a box cutter. Both can do the other's job, but in the end one is better for precision and care and the other is better for speed and ease-of-use.

35 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

At first they may say it or spell it incorrectly, but they would inevitably do it right, as time passed. 

It actually often goes the other way. That's how we have "octopi."

9 minutes ago, Zetaprime01 said:

However i I do enjoy your personal belief to have a more unique name I would recommend not to name him a subject. That would be comparable to naming him English, or Science.

Or hentai.

I fucking love hentai, but I would not name my child after it.

As someone who has been teased for their (surprisingly "normal") name for a large proportion of their childhood, I beg of you (the OP) to give your son a name that follows these general criteria:

1. Has no obvious female counterpart and cannot be used as a gender-neutral name
  2. A commonly used name (A commonly used name can't be singled out for teasing/bullying)
  3. Easy to write neatly and sign their name with

Of course it's your child and your decision in the end, but please consider these points for their sake. :)

Sidenote: I agree with a lot of the names listed further above, but I recommend avoiding the ones that can be used as slang for male genitals.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

No offence, but I honestly have trouble deciding if OP is just an concerned father or the most dedicated troll I've ever seen.

[Insert smart comment here]

Make it Cuthbert and the middle name Calculus because tintin is cool
-Some 12 year old

You are naming your child Toaster, though. Calculus is maybe not as commonly known as a word as toaster is, but it only refers to only one specific thing for the many people who know it. If you want to make a reference through something used in day to day life, you should go one tiny step further. If I really, really, really liked toasters and wanted to honor them, I'd call my child Tray instead. (I consider the crumb tray an important part of the toaster.) Or I could use Alan.

Hiding the name isn't always easy. Consider he really wants to change it, and gets his first job before he turns 18. Not all places base their name tags on what the employees want them to say. Imagine him standing at a till with a name tag saying Calculus on his uniform. Now imagine the endless line of customers who will become curious and ask why his name tag says the name of a school subject. He then has to explain that it's his name, because his father likes calculus. This happens several times a day. Then you add in the not just curious and polite customers, but the ones who think they're clever and funny. There's always 2-3 jokes people consider clever to make when they see such oddities, but they're the exact same jokes from all of them. Now, these are strangers who mean no harm, so Cal has to laugh it off every time this happens. It's not a very heavy burden, but it's so easy to avoid while you still get to give him a special name.

I can already imagine the faces of people you are going to introduce your child to. Just don't judge them if they'll look awkward or won't have any words to say after hearing it. ;)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Well, you can name your child as you wish, but if you will name him Calculus, be sure that he will have some hard time during his childhood. It might even impact his mental health... :( I know something about it. Maybe my name is not that unique as Calculus, but it was unique enough in the region I grown up, for other kids to tease on me. There was a time that I hated this name. Now I know that I shouldn't give a fine f..k about what they were saying and that I should be proud that my name is different than the names of half of my friends. Really, there was at least two persons, sometimes even three, with the same name in my class and I was always unique. Always! :D Nonetheless, you should keep in mind how rude some children can be. That's my opinion ;)    

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

11 hours ago, Weird Face said:

Has no obvious female counterpart and cannot be used as a gender-neutral name

WTF is going on here O.o

Is a gender-neutral name really a thing now? I thought only feminists and SJWs care about such things.

Are you afraid that people might interchange the sex of the child because of the name?

Tintin for the win!

Professor_Calculus.png

I'm no father but my father was joking with the name Nepomuk for me, of course this was only a small joke(haaaa).

So I would maybe tone down a little bit, there are odd names that are cool and then there are odd names that well aren't, here are some examples of cool ones(in my humble opinion):

Warwick

Asazoth

Zoth

Zalzulus(Calculus but with Z instead) 

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

WTF is going on here O.o

Is a gender-neutral name really a thing now? I thought only feminists and SJWs care about such things.

Are you afraid that people might interchange the sex of the child because of the name?

Gender neutral names has always been a thing.

Alex

Robin

Chris

Max

Taylor

I don't think it's something you should care about though. If you like one of those names then go for it. Don't pick it or avoid it because it is unisex. Do it because you like/dislike it.