What's the criteria for buying PSU Extension Cables?

phongle123
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
2 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

-SNIP-

The standard is 18AWG wire or larger, between general extensions like those there isn't a huge difference as long as all the conductors are stranded copper. 

-Moved to Modding Section-

Is there a certain criteria in buying PSU Extension Cables for MoBo 24Pin and CPU 8 Pin? The cheap 1/2/3$ Chinese ones looks to be the same gauge as the non-sleeved more expensive ones on amazon.

A cheap 2$ one from China

A 5$ one from Amazon

An 8$ one from Amazon

A 15$ one from Amazon

Since there isn't really a spec sheet for any of these Cables, I wanted to ask and by the looks of it I can only compare it by looking at the thickness of the cables which looks the same.

Googling has only found me 1 other thread which doesn't answer the question. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2533626/cheap-psu-extension-cables.html

-SNIP-

The standard is 18AWG wire or larger, between general extensions like those there isn't a huge difference as long as all the conductors are stranded copper. 

for just an extension cable, not much, but i wouldnt see why you'd bother with them.

that said, i do have to give a fair warning about judging gauge by the thickness of the insulated cable, a lot of cheapo chinese products have thicker insulation so they can have less copper on a cable that looks equally thick.

Usually, they are pin to pin adapters, so you shouldn't have any issues.  Color and management of the wires is your preference.  I usually get them with a sleeve and thicker gauge, as they tend to be easier to route cleanly in a case and handle amperage much better.

generally its a nono to buy the chinese stuff, you never know if its genuine copper or just plated aluminum wires.

Or this for $10 on amazon

Because sleeved and black. (I trust amazon return policies and reviews I see online, so even if you dont buy it, I'd still buy from a reputable site)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Don't risk a house fire and get some silverstone or bitfenix cables.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, tlink said:

generally its a nono to buy the chinese stuff, you never know if its genuine copper or just plated aluminum wires.

Well I guess you'd also have to assume that a lot of the small name companies on Amazon are also just buying Chinese gear and selling them for a higher price since I've even heard of them before.

Just now, phongle123 said:

Well I guess you'd also have to assume that a lot of the small name companies on Amazon are also just buying Chinese gear and selling them for a higher price since I've even heard of them before.

yes but amazon's warranty and return policy is way better, even if they are non amazon re-sellers.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

yes but amazon's warranty and return policy is way better, even if they are non amazon re-sellers.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

for just an extension cable, not much, but i wouldnt see why you'd bother with them.

that said, i do have to give a fair warning about judging gauge by the thickness of the insulated cable, a lot of cheapo chinese products have thicker insulation so they can have less copper on a cable that looks equally thick.

There's no doubt that current coming from a PSU is much higher than what could be compared to a simple light-bulb where gauge thinness just results in some negligible power loss. What are the detrimental effects of using a non-standard PSU extension cable? -- It does not work? It blows up stuff?

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

There's no doubt that current coming from a PSU is much higher than what could be compared to a simple light-bulb where gauge thinness just results in some negligible power loss. What are the detrimental effects of using a non-standard PSU extension cable? -- It does not work? It blows up stuff?

catching fire. high amperage trough high resistance means lots of heat.

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Or this for $10 on amazon

Because sleeved and black. (I trust amazon return policies and reviews I see online, so even if you dont buy it, I'd still buy from a reputable site)

I do plan to sleeve them myself, so I don't want to pay a huge premium for 1 cable when I could spend the extra spend on a sleeved vs non-sleeved to sleeve multiple cables.

What are the detrimental effects of using a non-standard PSU extension cable? -- It does not work? It blows up stuff?

well.. if you get unlucky...

2933_20_burnt-computer-university-of-sou

I do plan to sleeve them myself, so I don't want to pay a huge premium for 1 cable when I could spend the extra spend on a sleeved vs non-sleeved to sleeve multiple cables.

I'm not sure how you consider $5 a huge premium over white connector, ketchup and mustard $5 cables. It would probably cost you more to do it yourself

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm not sure how you consider $5 a huge premium over white connector, ketchup and mustard $5 cables. It would probably cost you more to do it yourself

Considering 100 Feet of sleeving is 2.38$ the last time I looked about 5 seconds ago. And if each cable was 20 inches in length. I could sleeve 60 cables for just 2.38$.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well.. if you get unlucky...

10 minutes ago, tlink said:

catching fire. high amperage trough high resistance means lots of heat.

So even if I buy the more expensive 5$ one on Amazon rather than the 2$ one on eBay. There's really no telling if I'm getting a good one until I get my hands on the cheap one. Which would be counter-productive to cost value. I'd just have to buy one from a reputable brand.

So even if I buy the more expensive 5$ one on Amazon rather than the 2$ one on eBay. There's really no telling if I'm getting a good one huh? I'd just have to buy one from a reputable brand?

unless the brand behind it kinda guarantees you of what you'll be getting, there's always a chance.

i'm not saying the chinese one will set your house on fire, i'm just saying the chance is considerably higher that it's a bad unit compared to a reputable brand.

So even if I buy the more expensive 5$ one on Amazon rather than the 2$ one on eBay. There's really no telling if I'm getting a good one huh? I'd just have to buy one from a reputable brand?

no not really, unless you want to take a nib out of one of the cables without damaging the core, than you can simply do a scratch test and put electricians tape over it afterwards but its a janky ass solution.

7 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Considering 100 Feet of sleeving is 2.38$ the last time I looked about 5 seconds ago. And if each cable was 20 inches in length. I could sleeve 60 cables for just 2.38$.

I mean, as long as you know it's not worth the time you go through for it, by all means.

30 minutes ago, W-L said:

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

10 minutes ago, tlink said:

no not really, unless you want to take a nib out of one of the cables without damaging the core, than you can simply do a scratch test and put electricians tape over it afterwards but its a janky ass solution.

Okay thanks guys. I'll ask the seller if he/she knows the specs of the wiring, I highly doubt they will however.

I'll buy 1 of the cheap cable and cut to find out if they are 18 gauge and copper or not. And if they are not I'll have to result to buying from the reputable sellers.