Google plans to speed up Android security updates

53 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I hate that I agree with you on this.  Really not keen on apple myself, as I've been down that road with them and it ain't much better.

BB OS, why have you forsaken me!?

I haven't had an iPhone personally, but I've used friend's and family's and I'm mildly jealous that they have a single messaging platform that they consistently use. Whereas on Android, you have an infinite amount to choose from and nobody you know is on the same one.

At least for me, the people I'm most in contact with nowadays all have iPhones so it'll work fine for me.

53 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

That's great. But would also be nice to see faster release of newer Android version to devices.

something like that would only happen if android could work like linux distros, but would require all drivers to be open sourced, and i doubt SoC manufacturers would be happy to do that, as the reason a lot of phones don't get updates is because of the SoC maker not wanting to make new drivers, and that came to a more prominent light over if the nexus 6 would get android 7.0, and qualcomm had their hand forced by google to make a driver, but it also pissed a bunch of people off because they wanted qualcomm to make a 7.0 driver for the SD801 but refused because it didn't support Vulkan, even though an SD801 runs 7.0 perfectly, and this is where i get my stance to avoid qualcomm, as they don't care about their currently released products, and only care about getting their newest SoCs in to devices.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

13 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

something like that would only happen if android could work like linux distros, but would require all drivers to be open sourced, and i doubt SoC manufacturers would be happy to do that, as the reason a lot of phones don't get updates is because of the SoC maker not wanting to make new drivers, and that came to a more prominent light over if the nexus 6 would get android 7.0, and qualcomm had their hand forced by google to make a driver, but it also pissed a bunch of people off because they wanted qualcomm to make a 7.0 driver for the SD801 but refused because it didn't support Vulkan, even though an SD801 runs 7.0 perfectly, and this is where i get my stance to avoid qualcomm, as they don't care about their currently released products, and only care about getting their newest SoCs in to devices.

Yeah that does suck =/
Though still waiting Android 7 for my Galaxy S6 meh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

@ashypanda, in the future, please use the actual quote of the forum. The button to make one is on the tool bar of the text box. I fixed it now, and made it to follow the posting guideline. Thanks.

This is nice and all, but the problem with Android is not Google being slow to patch update, it is manufactures that needs to take the OS update, make sure it works with their phone, if they choose to support the device for the particularly update, and past it to carrier, which they host it, and if they want decide to deliver it or not.

You have 2 "walls" to pass though. Android should really be updated to operate like Windows, where Google can host updates, even full OS updates, and the OS updater connects to it, and fetch and update itself. It is not a phone limitation, as Windows 10 Mobile showcase this ability. There is no block for that device, as it works like it does with your Windows system. You connect to Windows Servers, and it gets and installs the updates.

4 hours ago, ashypanda said:

I used to feel like that, but i've been considering jumping ship, as unless you get a pixel all OEMs drop the ball when it comes to support, and apple seems to be on top of it, and actually offers decent long term support for devices instead of 2 years if you're lucky.

I probably wouldn't mind Apple myself, but as I use emulation pretty extensively, Android is the only choice. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I probably wouldn't mind Apple myself, but as I use emulation pretty extensively, Android is the only choice. 

Windows Phone has emulators*

*only a few tho and they don't work very well and rarely get updated

4 hours ago, Kloaked said:

I haven't had an iPhone personally, but I've used friend's and family's and I'm mildly jealous that they have a single messaging platform that they consistently use. Whereas on Android, you have an infinite amount to choose from and nobody you know is on the same one.

At least for me, the people I'm most in contact with nowadays all have iPhones so it'll work fine for me.

Wait what do you mean? Changing your sms app doesn't change anything else. iMessage is just Apple's SMS app that also works via internet data when available right? The only difference is on android you don't get the internet part. As for using a single unified app, I guess that's true but only if your circle all has iPhones. The same could be said the other way where if everyone had Android you could just use hangouts. The best solution I think is just using whatever SMS app you want and Facebook messenger so it works with both platforms and sms or internet.

1 minute ago, bobhays said:

Wait what do you mean? Changing your sms app doesn't change anything else. iMessage is just Apple's SMS app that also works via internet data when available right? The only difference is on android you don't get the internet part. As for using a single unified app, I guess that's true but only if your circle all has iPhones. The same could be said the other way where if everyone had Android you could just use hangouts. The best solution I think is just using whatever SMS app you want and Facebook messenger so it works with both platforms and sms or internet.

It's not just SMS. iMessage has a lot of features attached to it as well, which can be useful for work.

Google/Android has many different messaging platforms that may have SMS support, but you don't get all of the features unless the recipient also uses the same app (depending on the app anyways).

I'm still amazed that US carriers have any say about the software on a phone, in fact I'm surprised people buy phones from them. Here in NZ, most people buy their phones unlocked from normal stores and get a SIM card from the carrier, who are selling a service not a device.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 hour ago, Daring said:

Windows Phone has emulators*

*only a few tho and they don't work very well and rarely get updated

On a side note, I am getting quite tired of Windows as of late... 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, Kloaked said:

It's not just SMS. iMessage has a lot of features attached to it as well, which can be useful for work.

Google/Android has many different messaging platforms that may have SMS support, but you don't get all of the features unless the recipient also uses the same app (depending on the app anyways).

No one in my family has an iPhone, could you explain what features it has that normal messaging things lack?

EDIT: quick google search showed me things about sending screen effects like heartbeats and fireworks. I'm sure apple has other iMessage specific special effects, I meant to ask what features it has not regarding visual effects.

11 hours ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

This guy trying to pull some legs.

On Topic: Oh boy , we are still expecting the device makers to keep devices up-to-date out of good will. HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Yea I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm hoping for a ruling that they have to provide updates for the duration of the manufacturer warranty period at minimum. And that is at least a year.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

12 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Not to mention the almost all Google services everyone is using is also available on iOS. 

• Gmail 
  • YouTube
  • Hangouts 
  • Google Drive 
  • Docs 
  • Sheets 
  • Slides 
  • Forms 
  • Keep 
  • Analytics 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I understand why most devices don't get OS updates but why don't they get security updates like windows and linux where it doesn't matter what hardware you have?