RX 580 & 570, rebrands, coming in April

Cheeky Leo
Just now, Demonking said:

Great more rebrands -_-

Strangely only AMD seems to be doing it these days in the chip business. It really must be paying off, else they wouldn't do it.

22 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well the three gb vram variation is a known poor deal, however even the 6gb one has been losing ground to the rx480 8gb, in most markets the AMD card is cheaper while their performance is the same nowadays with AMD drivers maturing, it even gets better results in dx12.

Freesync is cheaper too, even though Pascal did come with Fast-sync which is an enhanced v-sync to counter it... any ways for a good great while in here at the forums the rx 480 usually ends up being the one advised for the mid end budgets, with this AMD might become even more attractive at least for now.

Just shows AMD haven't been on their game with marketing. I mean the RX480 been out for a while now, & even got a head start on the 1060 yet the 1060 is higher up on the list than it is on the steam hardware survey. 

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

when did you bought it and how much voltage does it take to do that

Mine is the first shipment arrived in the Netherlands back in September last year. It's a Sapphire Nitro.

With MSI Afterburner, I would only increase the Vcore by 96 mV. MSI Afterburner shows 1.243 V.

Maybe they'll Launch rebranded cards with refined nodes for better overclocking possibilities while launching the Vega cards. The two don't contradict one another.

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Maybe they'll Launch rebranded cards with refined nodes for better overclocking possibilities while launching the Vega cards. The two don't contradict one another.

Very plausible. With the Vega between 1080 and 1080Ti territory. And the refresh cards closer to 1070 performance. Make sense.

5 hours ago, Notional said:

Indeed, but then again, Nvidia has been cruising for the last 4-5 years, releasing stupidly overpriced crap like their entire Titan product line, because they had no competition.

I wouldn't say the 290X and Furies weren't competing against their Titans and X80ti...

I mean back then, the 290X was faster than the first titan which forced Nvidia to drop the 780ti which was only slightly faster while costing a good 200 pounds more...(where the 290X actually beats or at the very least matches the 780ti quite comfortably now) so no competition in the last 4-5 years? Nawh

The only time AMD started to slag behind was their 3xx series where they were more power hungry than Nvidia equivalents but that was the only place they were slagging behind (and maybe software as raptr wasn't as good as shadowplay).

At the same price range (performance wise): 380/380X>960, 390>970, Fury>980(=)>390X sooooooooo...I wouldn't say Nvidia was cruising in terms of performance when AMD GPUs offered more performance overall at the same price...(and yes, the 390X almost caught up to the 980 at the very end while being something like 80 pounds cheaper, the Furies costed the same as mid-range 980s so...deffo same price range).

The Fury X only consumed 25 more watts than the 980ti under a gaming load (furmark is not a "real" load) so...not the biggest victory ever either especially when the Fury X matched the 980ti at 4K. 

Nvidia cruising for the past 4-5 years? My ass :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Demonking said:

The 390's where rebrands & were close to the 900 series. in 390 vs 970 390 won. 

The performance difference between RX480 and GTX1070 is rather significant. It's like an updated GTX1060 can catch 1070, will be a tall order.

Let's say the RX580 makes a good leap in performance, 10-15% faster than RX480, while much less expensive than the GTX1070. It will be a win for the consumers.

46 minutes ago, Deli said:

Mine is the first shipment arrived in the Netherlands back in September last year. It's a Sapphire Nitro.

With MSI Afterburner, I would only increase the Vcore by 96 mV. MSI Afterburner shows 1.243 V.

well i can do 1400 with 1.090 but to do 1500+ i need more than 1.2(at 1.21 it crashes after some time), haven't found the point where its stable yet (was playing with it this morning)

8 hours ago, intender said:

The 480 has a lot of room for improvement if they can manage to get higher clocks out of it without pulling 250watts just from the card.  So I could see a 580 that is just a higher clocked version.  1500mhz would put it somewhere around the 1070 in terms of performance based on what I remember seeing online a while back. 

This.   

Isn't 1070 generally about 40% ahead on average?  Bridging that gap is probably a tall order, though it is a new architecture on a young node so significant improvements may be possible. Maybe 10-15% IPC gains, clocks upwards of 1650-1700MHz (most max out around 1400-1450MHz currently), and then slap on some GDDR5X instead of GDDR5?  Maybe, but it's a stretch.  And that would be just to catch a stock 1070.

I doubt AMD put much engineering effort into squeezing much more out of RX 480 when Vega is so close on its heels.  I think we'll likely see gains in the 10-20% range.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

AMD Rebrands GPU Card XXXX ... no surprise there. :| 

Welp there is the AMD let down we've been waiting for ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

45 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

well i can do 1400 with 1.090 but to do 1500+ i need more than 1.2(at 1.21 it crashes after some time), haven't found the point where its stable yet (was playing with it this morning)

That is very impressive if your card is air cooled. Mine can only do 1465MHz on stock air cooler. To hit 1520Mhz, the card is water cooled.

I remember Buildzoid said as long as the card is properly cooled, Running 1.35V is safe for the Polaris. Using Sapphire TriXX allows you to up the Vcore by 200mV. I tried to increase it to 110mV. It would go black screen. Seems my card can't take the extra voltage.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well the three gb vram variation is a known poor deal, however even the 6gb one has been losing ground to the rx480 8gb, in most markets the AMD card is cheaper while their performance is the same nowadays with AMD drivers maturing, it even gets better results in dx12.

Freesync is cheaper too, even though Pascal did come with Fast-sync which is an enhanced v-sync to counter it... any ways for a good great while in here at the forums the rx 480 usually ends up being the one advised for the mid end budgets, with this AMD might become even more attractive at least for now.

3 versions?    I thought there was just the 3GB and the 6GB.  

43 minutes ago, Deli said:

That is very impressive if your card is air cooled. Mine can only do 1465MHz on stock air cooler. To hit 1520Mhz, the card is water cooled.

I remember Buildzoid said as long as the card is properly cooled, Running 1.35V is safe for the Polaris. Using Sapphire TriXX allows you to up the Vcore by 200mV. I tried to increase it to 110mV. It would go black screen. Seems my card can't take the extra voltage.

sorry forgot to mention that the 1500 MHz attempt was with the fans at 100% :-) sorry

mine has a prety low voltage from the start 1310@1.05

14 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

3 versions?    I thought there was just the 3GB and the 6GB.  

he was talking about the 3 gb version 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

AMD Rebrands GPU Card XXXX ... no surprise there. :| 

Welp there is the AMD let down we've been waiting for ...

with the money they are making its impressive that they are still competing,

if they had the money they wouldn't resort to this, and the polaris cards are probably going to come with higher frequencies 

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

sorry forgot to mention that the 1500 MHz attempt was with the fans at 100% :-) sorry

Mine is stable with -45mV @1342MHz. Another forum member can lower the voltage by 90mV(1.06V), while remain stable at 1342MHz.  Sapphire uses 1.15V as default voltage. I think some other RX480, like the reference model and XFX ones use 1.05V as default.

13 minutes ago, Deli said:

Mine is stable with -45mV @1342MHz. Another forum member can lower the voltage by 90mV(1.06V), while remain stable at 1342MHz.  Sapphire uses 1.15V as default voltage. I think some other RX480, like the reference model and XFX ones use 1.05V as default.

we should one day make a graph with a bunch of 480s to see what frequencies and what voltages can be achieved,

interesting that sapphire uses that voltage, but by shipping with higher clocks its understandable,

my little brother has one too (but the 4gb version ;-) ) i was able to run both at 1445 core and 2150mhz memory for a crazy score in gpupi :-)

(maybe its WR but don't tell anyone- for 480s of course) sad they got less stable then in crossfire :-( probably a power supply issue 

33 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

That's a great card to only need 1.09V at 1400.  Mine needs 1.09V for 1350MHz.  I've hit 1400MHz for a stable run but I need to dial it up to 1.15V to do it.  Haven't gone higher as the performance/watt really nosedives after 1350 I've found.  

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

I guess it will be a refined Polaris while Vega top end so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

he was talking about the 3 gb version 

Oops..  I misread.  ?

Princess Cadence is female btw.  

7 hours ago, Cheeky Leo said:

Oh good to know. Thanks. Did you watch the livestream? I didn't

Yes, I did.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, flipped_bit said:

That's a great card to only need 1.09V at 1400.  Mine needs 1.09V for 1350MHz.  I've hit 1400MHz for a stable run but I need to dial it up to 1.15V to do it.  Haven't gone higher as the performance/watt really nosedives after 1350 I've found.  

I got lucky with the silicon. But after 1420 it really starts pulling slot of power so i leave it at 1400

I was planning an AMD build.

Looks like i'm sticking with my 6700k + 1070. I was stupid - I actually believed AMD were competant enough to realise what they had to do to save their space in the market!

Rebranded card that can't even touch the 1070? That'll show the TitanXP and 1080Ti!

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3