RX 580 & 570, rebrands, coming in April

Cheeky Leo
Just now, Misanthrope said:

1) Ryzen is not even out and said "shocking" it's baseless speculation, even if Ryzen delivers (I believe it will) 

2) AMD has managed to keep a lot more pressure on Nvidia and they have been able to respond they won't be able to jump ahead as easily.

1. Not really, when you look at Intel's reaction (incl. their retarded Kaby Lake rebrands for x99, and their new 12 core CPU). I'm not saying Ryzen is better than Intel, only that Intel seems to be shocked.
  2. Indeed, but then again, Nvidia has been cruising for the last 4-5 years, releasing stupidly overpriced crap like their entire Titan product line, because they had no competition. The only innovation NVidia has made in that period was Gsync, and that's not even a GPU tech.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Notional said:
  1. Not really, when you look at Intel's reaction (incl. their retarded Kaby Lake rebrands for x99, and their new 12 core CPU). I'm not saying Ryzen is better than Intel, only that Intel seems to be shocked.
  2. Indeed, but then again, Nvidia has been cruising for the last 4-5 years, releasing stupidly overpriced crap like their entire Titan product line, because they had no competition. The only innovation NVidia has made in that period was Gsync, and that's not even a GPU tech.

1.- Citation for that reaction please: we have not seen anything but microcenter price cuts and wccf rumors. 

2.- They haven't been cruising for as long as the 5 years Intel has been on easy mode but I believe we more or less agree and the particular differences here are not worth pursuing further, cheers. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Don't think AMD will release things like models and prices today. They'll most likely save that for Computex. We're most likely getting some more info on the architecture/in-game performance.

basically what i meant.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

1.- Citation for that reaction please: we have not seen anything but microcenter price cuts and wccf rumors. 

2.- They haven't been cruising for as long as the 5 years Intel has been on easy mode but I believe we more or less agree and the particular differences here are not worth pursuing further, cheers. 

1. Where did I mention price cuts? I only mentioned product launches. Oh and Intel throwing Kaby Lake under the bus, trying to divert attention to their 8th gen processors. That of course doesn't include the rumours of Intel doing damage control, because it's not relevant until it's proven. That being said, The 7700k is dropping in price like a stone here in Denmark. A CPU, that has been more expensive than it's predecessor and held its price since launch. Might not be Intel's doing, but shows how the market is reacting.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

55 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Yet Apple got the 460 with all the SPs enabled long ago in one of their Macbooks?

Yes, 3-4 months after the release of the 460. Just because a process isn't refined doesn't mean you can't have perfect dies. Apple ate all of those dies to get 16 CU Radeon Pro 460s for their Macs.

Ye ole' train

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

1080 owners? Is suppose so.

No? Why?

Seriously, what is it with people buying a GPU with the actual plan to sell it like half a year later at a loss (you ALWAYS lose money) and buy a more expensive GPU then? Are you people so desperate to throw money out of the window? Jesus, fuck.

No, I mean people planning a new build. Someone who knows he wants something with the performance level of a 1080 and makes the correct assumption that if AMD came out with such a card it would be around the same price point, maybe 100 bucks less at most. So he saves his money for the build, including the money for the GPU and waits for all the cards. Then if it turns out that AMD DOESN'T have a card that performs at that level, he will instead invest in the 1080 after all. Or in other words: I want a 700 € GPU. I will wait for all the 700 € GPUs of a generation to be released and then buy the best one that costs 700 €.

I guess you COULD plan with less money or your GPU with the assumption that AMD is going to release a GPU that will perform at about the level of a 1080 but will cost significantly less, but I think such thinking is a bit foolish. Ryzen is the outlier. Always assume that similar products will cost more or less the same until proven otherwise.

Then if it actually turns out to be true, rejoice! You now have money left over! Fuck some blackjack and play some hookers.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Didn't I saw benchmarks of 580 on pair with 1070? I saw it was in Ashes of the SIngularity, but it was much faster than 480 iirc. 

RX 480 is a 150W card, taking it off its leash to 250W it could surpass the 1070 quite comfortably in performance.

RX 480s with additional power inputs from AIBs still seem to be restricted by microcode in relation to overclocking, probably for this exact reason.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

4 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

It's funny how you say until june 30th for vega, the capsaican & Cream stream is on in a few hours. (about 4 hours and 48 minutes or so)

Is it? I just mean they got that much time to launch until end of the semester

Just now, Cheeky Leo said:

Is it? I just mean they got that much time to launch until end of the semester

It isn't a product launch. im watching it rn (twitch.tv/amd)

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

if AMD only "launches" rebrands, the GTX1080Ti will drop like a bomb on their heads

Yeah, I totally agree. I would like my news not to be true, to be honest. 

Well, vega is only going to be called RX Vega.

so it isnt 500 something

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

But why bother rebranding? Why not release Vega as RX 490/490x?

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

But why bother rebranding? Why not release Vega as RX 490/490x?

its about perception, vega is the next generation and to be seen as such it should have different branding

Just now, cj09beira said:

its about perception, vega is the next generation and to be seen as such it should have different branding

True, true. Just makes things messy is all. If they rebrand the current 400 series, then allow higher TDP's for more performance, I can see a lot of people (myself included) getting pissed off that they didn't give us all the performance the card has with the 400 series. But maybe that's just a BIOS flash away...

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

True, true. Just makes things messy is all. If they rebrand the current 400 series, then allow higher TDP's for more performance, I can see a lot of people (myself included) getting pissed off that they didn't give us all the performance the card has with the 400 series. But maybe that's just a BIOS flash away...

they wouldn't be able to, when they get better performance on the same silicon normally means they changed at least somewhat so that the card can get better frequency, if they dont change nothing it means that the newer cards out right now are that much beter than the original ones when the card released.

why? because the silicon node takes time to work just right, with time yields improve which means more cards preform better

3 minutes ago, Hunter115 said:

what is a rx 550 a cut down 460 ?

we dont know 

6 hours ago, intender said:

The 480 has a lot of room for improvement if they can manage to get higher clocks out of it without pulling 250watts just from the card.  So I could see a 580 that is just a higher clocked version.  1500mhz would put it somewhere around the 1070 in terms of performance based on what I remember seeing online a while back. 

I have an RX480 that can overclock to 1520MHz. A 2050MHz GTX1070 is still 15-20% faster in game and benchmarks.

14 minutes ago, Deli said:

I have an RX480 that can overclock to 1520MHz. A 2050MHz GTX1070 is still 15-20% faster in game and benchmarks.

when did you bought it and how much voltage does it take to do that

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

Well, vega is only going to be called RX Vega.

so it isnt 500 something

Oh good to know. Thanks. Did you watch the livestream? I didn't

1 hour ago, Hunter115 said:

what is a rx 550 a cut down 460 ?

Possibly. Noone seems to know rn. 

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's wrong with the 1060?

Well the three gb vram variation is a known poor deal, however even the 6gb one has been losing ground to the rx480 8gb, in most markets the AMD card is cheaper while their performance is the same nowadays with AMD drivers maturing, it even gets better results in dx12.

Freesync is cheaper too, even though Pascal did come with Fast-sync which is an enhanced v-sync to counter it... any ways for a good great while in here at the forums the rx 480 usually ends up being the one advised for the mid end budgets, with this AMD might become even more attractive at least for now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Well the three gb vram variation is a known poor deal, however even the 6gb one has been losing ground to the rx480 8gb, in most markets the AMD card is cheaper while their performance is the same nowadays with AMD drivers maturing, it even gets better results in dx12.

Freesync is cheaper too, even though Pascal did come with Fast-sync which is an enhanced v-sync to counter it... any ways for a good great while in here at the forums the rx 480 usually ends up being the one advised for the mid end budgets, with this AMD might become even more attractive at least for now.

You are right. Despite that I still think the 1060 is a solid card and the power consumption is a little better, isn't it? I, although leaning more towards red, put a 1060 in my sisters pc.