Ryzen supports ECC memory.

asder12
  1. ECC support is not given by the mobo, but by the CPU; or both
  2. ASUS PRIME X370-PRO, for example, does not list ECC support: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/
  3. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-parts-available-for-pre-order-now/

We did ask about a potential single socket Ryzen/ Zen part with ECC memory support and were told that AMD was not announcing such a product at this time alongside the Ryzen/ Zen launch.

Ryzen "supports" ECC xD

Just now, zMeul said:
  1. ECC support is not given by the mobo, but by the CPU
  2. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-parts-available-for-pre-order-now/

Ryzen "supports" ECC xD

I never said that ecc is given buy the mobo but if a lot of x370 spec that they support them it means that Ryzen CPUs can utilize ecc technology.

and yes ecc support is also determinedly by mobo put an e5 v4 on a x99 (except asrock an ws ones) and add ecc ram and see if ecc functionality is working.

11 minutes ago, asder12 said:

but if a lot of x370 spec that they support them it means that Ryzen CPUs can utilize ecc technology.

a lot of who!?

in previous post I gave the ASUS x370 link - does not support ECC

GigaByte - accepts ECC DIMMs, but opperate in non-ECC mode:

MSI - accepts ECC DIMMs, operate in non-ECC mode: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productSpecification-section

and I can keep going if you want ^_^

It was not confirmed or denied  from reliable source yet so leave it at that until we have offical word.

I saw Wendell asking the same thing on twitter with no answer yet. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

4 minutes ago, asder12 said:

Apparently asrock support ecc.

yes yes ... xD 3 of the major mobo manufacturers do not support ECC functions

but AsRock .. they added pixie dust to their mobos, I suppose 

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

a lot of who!?

in previous post I gave the ASUS x370 link - does not support ECC

GigaByte - accepts ECC DIMMs, but opperate in non-ECC mode:

MSI - accepts ECC DIMMs, operate in non-ECC mode: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productSpecification-section

and I can keep going if you want ^_^

Go with Asus as they were only motherboard supports ECC for AM3+, I have found budget board from ASUS that supports ECC and but forgot the name of it. It didnt say it like operated in non-ecc mode, so i presume it should work. Just have to wait for reviews to come out to be 100% sure. 

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Go with Asus as they were only motherboard supports ECC for AM3+, I have found budget board from ASUS that supports ECC and but forgot the name of it. It didnt say it like operated in non-ecc mode, so i presume it should work. Just have to wait for reviews to come out to be 100% sure. 

the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO used to say on it's original page that it supported ECC

ASUS redacted that out, it now sais it doesn't support ECC

other 2 major mobo manufacturers specifically state that their mobo(s) accept ECC DIMMs but in non-ECC mode

---

my take on this is that AMD told them Ryzen will support ECC, but something went wrong and ECC support was scrapped

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

ECC support is not given by the mobo, but by the CPU; or both

Always both.

41 minutes ago, zMeul said:

my take on this is that AMD told them Ryzen will support ECC, but something went wrong and ECC support was scrapped

Likely someone durp'd and took the technical info of the Zen architecture supporting ECC to mean these Ryzen CPUs do.

The blurb on the Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 that I preordered put it best, I think:

"Support for ECC (operate in non-ECC mode)"

Yeah, I wouldn't keep your hopes up... :|

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO used to say on it's original page that it supported ECC

ASUS redacted that out, it now sais it doesn't support ECC

other 2 major mobo manufacturers specifically state that their mobo(s) accept ECC DIMMs but in non-ECC mode

---

Zen probably does, but for the server chips later in the year, not the consumer ones (Ryzen) coming out now.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

1 minute ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Zen probably does, but for the server chips later in the year, not the consumer ones (Ryzen) coming out now.

that's the other platform, not AM4 - forgot it's name

you can't confuse them

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's the other platform, not AM4 - forgot it's name

you can't confuse them

Ah.  I thought they were all classified under the Zen name, sorry.

The server chips are based on the same architecture, though, so the spirit of my point stands -- the overall architecture (probably) supports it, just not the consumer chips.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Just now, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Ah.  I thought they were all classified under the Zen name, sorry.

The server chips are based on the same architecture, though, so the spirit of my point stands -- the overall architecture (probably) supports it, just not the consumer chips.

the arch is still Zen, in the grand scheme, but AMD calls it something else 

Naples - aha! remembered it

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

yes yes ... xD 3 of the major mobo manufacturers do not support ECC functions

but AsRock .. they added pixie dust to their mobos, I suppose 

Now I do agree with you however for what is worth it AsRock has done things no one else did in the pass like their H and B motherboards that could OC hahaha

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

According to Intel fans, no one buys Ryzen systems to run servers.

Well they're not wrong. There aren't any ryzen opterons yet. Duh

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Well they're not wrong. There aren't any ryzen opterons yet. Duh

Nor will there be. There also, in breaking news, won't be Ryzen Athlons, or Athlon Opterons... 9_9

There will be Zen Opterons (as well as most probably Zen Athlons and Zen Semprons), of course, but we basically don't know anything about them yet.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

8 minutes ago, rjfaber91 said:

Nor will there be. There also, in breaking news, won't be Ryzen Athlons, or Athlon Opterons... 9_9

There will be Zen Opterons (as well as most probably Zen Athlons and Zen Semprons), of course, but we basically don't know anything about them yet.

I thought they had to change the name due to patent issues? Unless it was just for these CPUs they're coming out with now and the architecture is still called "Zen*

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

According to Intel fans, no one buys Ryzen systems to run servers.

It's not about ryzen, amd or anything else -  you don't buy a brand new architecture cpu for serious server use. It's good that the support is there, but that doesn't mean it will be adopted en masse by businesses on launch day. It could become a good option in a year or so, but it would be too risky to invest on ryzen on launch.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's not about ryzen, amd or anything else -  you don't buy a brand new architecture cpu for serious server use. It's good that the support is there, but that doesn't mean it will be adopted en masse by businesses on launch day. It could become a good option in a year or so, but it would be too risky to invest on ryzen on launch.

Servers are a bit different in this respect as the major vendors do a great deal of testing and publish HCL and software lists. Once you have the seal of approval from HPE/Dell/Lenovo etc and server systems go on sale you are rather safe. Nothing is perfect, we've had plenty of issues with Intel based servers on well proven architecture so it's not like people don't plan for this already.

There is also a reason desktop platforms are released first, Intel does this too. Consumers are crash tests for the server market lol.

Edit:

Oh and server replacements happen in line with budget lines and replacements cycles. Only people buying new Zen server systems early on will be for new/additional systems and proof of concept deployments.

45 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the arch is still Zen, in the grand scheme, but AMD calls it something else 

Naples - aha! remembered it

Don't think it will be the same socket through, am4 socket is a little small for 32 core,and quad channel should also be a thing for the servers..just a thought 

2 minutes ago, asder12 said:

Don't think it will be the same socket through, am4 socket is a little small for 32 core,and quad channel should also be a thing for the servers..just a thought 

It's not the same socket, AMD has already confirmed this along with it also being LGA.